INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 11.0.219 Beta Available  (Read 6053 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Media Center 11.0.219 Beta Available
« on: March 18, 2005, 07:28:48 pm »

We're still working on Media Center 11.  We appreciate your bug reports, but MC11 may not work as expected and we can't yet fully support it.  Some plugins still do not work.  If you want to use MC 11 while we're building it, PRICES are here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=23311

If you want a more trouble-free experience, please download Media Center 10 here:
http://www.jrmediacenter.com/download.html

Media Center 11 is available here:
[pulled by JimH -- stability issues.]

Important:  Please post only bugs you're sure about here.  Anything else and especially anything that requires an answer should be posted in a new thread with a subject like "MC11 problem with ..." or "MC11 question about ....".    Feature requests should be postponed until we've finished 11.0.  Thanks.  -- JimH

Recent Changes
Encoder settings may need to be re-set:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;topic=26527.0

11.0.219 (3/18/05)

1. NEW: Added IsEmpty(...) expression function.
2. Fixed: Expressions with empty parameters could cause crashes.
3. Changed: Expression evaluator shows error strings for bad expressions. (previously could crash or output strange results)
4. Changed: DVD playback automatically resumes at last location instead of throwing a dialog box. (use "DVD Menu" command to revert to the menu)
5. Fixed: Closing Windowed view would not automatically bring Standard View back.
6. Fixed: Clicking a service in the Action Window list would not always show that service.
7. Fixed: System colored menus could use the wrong text color in some cases.
8. Fixed: Sorting by the sequence column would not work properly.
9. NEW: When switching DVD playback between monitors, the playback position is no longer lost.
10. Fixed: D-Link DSM-320 was not displaying pictures.

11.0.218 (3/17/05)

1. NEW: Integrated Theater View options into the main program options.
2. NEW: Added Theater View option to configure the text shown for a file.
3. NEW: Service Manager includes updated Audible service with integrated downloading. (Hide / Install the service in Service Manager to update from an older version)
4. Fixed: Expression evaluator would incorrectly detect circular references in some cases.
5. NEW: Revised Theater View's Playing Now view to work more like Standard View. (i.e. display is larger, controls are available, etc.)
6. NEW: Added Theater View option to allow left / right arrows to go into and out of pages.
7. Changed: Pressing 'Left' when in a menu will cancel the menu. (useful in Theater View)
8. NEW: Added "Jump on play" setting for Theater View, defaults to showing Playing Now when starting playback.
9. Fixed: TiVo Server was using the wrong options dialog.
10. Fixed: When clicking next right after a track finished, the play count could get incremented for both tracks.
11. Fixed: Customize Current View > Remove Column would remove two columns instead of one.

11.0.216 (3/16/05)

1. Fixed: Expressions with field names that contained parenthesis did not work properly.
2. Fixed: Some expressions with If(...) statements would not properly output all characters.
3. NEW: Added FormatRange(...) support to expression evaluator for outputting groupings. (i.e. A-C, 100-200, etc.)
4. Changed: Changed tree / list coloring so only the main tree and list ever use 'focused' color.
5. Changed: When reporting tagging failures the file list will be truncated so the dialog won't be too large.
6. NEW: TV has preliminary support of Hauppauge WinTV PVR 150 device (viewing and recording only, no time-shifting yet).
7. Fixed: Ripping from multiple CD drives wasn't working.
8. Fixed: In certain situations, MC was leaving a CD drive in a state where it couldn't be accessed by MC or other programs until MC was closed.
9. Changed: Improved support for empty dates in the expression evaluator.
10. NEW: Added remote control buttons for jumping directly to most Theater View pages. (also available from Girder as MCC_THEATER_VIEW)
11. Changed: Improved Theater View's functioning when "Keep focus" option was not selected.
12. Optimzed: Showing Theater View's home page can be much faster.
13. Changed: Revised Theater View selection flow so select menu items are at the top once selection has begun.
14. Changed: Improved support for back / forward shortcuts in Theater View. (all mapped keyboard shortcuts now work)
15. NEW: Added 'Remove' to the commands menu inside of Theater View's Playing Now.
16. Changed: Improved Theater View's handling of back / forward shortcuts so all shortcuts (Alt+Left, Backspace, etc.) will work.
17. Fixed: D-Link DSM-320 was not playing music. It requires the new "No Server Header" option to be checked.
18. Fixed: Skip transcoding for files changing to the same type now works for all encoders, not just MP3.
19. Fixed: The External Encoder would auto-configure when not needed.
20. Fixed: Computers without any Audible activations would not play untargeted Audible files.
21: Changed: Input and encoder WMA plugins link to the latest Windows Media 9.5 libraries.

MC 11 Improvements

CUE file playback support with sample-accurate MP3 seeking
Many Theater View enhancements
Animated Direct3D file browsing
Split views so you can look at two (or more) views at the same time (ex. look at Media Library and Playing Now together)
Vastly improved database engine capable of handling 100,000's of files and large amounts of metadata (lyrics, bios, etc.)
Several memory and speed enhancements -- like database and skin unloading when minimizing MC
Much of MC's interface can be translated to other languages
Integrated database import and update with smart broken linking repairing, and other nice features
MC can run with guest permissions on Windows 2000 / Windows XP
New view customization system with more flexibility for thumbnail size, text, etc.
Options dialogs reworked -- several small options added
Added multi-zone synchronization
Added Album Gain support
Document support with full text searching / indexing
Pane auto-sizing
Tile view that allows fully customizable Track Info style tiles to be used in file lists
New database caching layer that makes a huge speed difference in many areas of MC
File tagging happens in a background thread so MC can continue to be used while it's saving tags
Basic image editing
Enhanced album grouping for pictures so pictures taken together get grouped without any user intervention
Preview mode to only play the intro of songs
Video CD playback support
Audio resampling uses Shibatch's high-quality SSRC filters
Support for ATI HDTV card
Support for Hauppauge WinTV PVR 150
Full support for the Audible Store as a Service Plug-in
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
Re: Media Center 11.0.219 Beta Available
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 09:36:42 pm »

First post ;)

*CUE FILE ISSUES*

- MC complains it can't tag CUE tracks when update tags on file changes is ticked. It should update the CUE files (text) directly.

- If an album with imported+analysed CUE tracks is moved (within MC) after import MC loses the address of those imported CUE tracks. Think about this, its lost the cue traks, a fix of broken links removes these items.. A move is a basic operation, MC should not be droping the ball on this.

Fred1

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 11:32:17 pm »

When starting the transfer to handheld (which is configured as a network path), this message appears:

Error
Out of memory. Upload aborted.
Ok

Needless to mention that on the network drive there is 20GB available space, isn't it?
It works for local drives but not for network drives.

Robert Taylor

• Living in a Smokeless Zone...
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 02:06:32 am »

Ive had this version crash on me twice now in about an hours use. Both times were Media Core errors.

Once was when I been using it for a little while, and then clicked on the Library Browser. As soon as I clicked there was a slight pause (like it dores sometimes as it's building thumbnails), and then bang!

The second time was as soon as I clicked on the uPNP Server in the tree. As soon as I clicked, there was a slight delay, and then it crashed.

There's also some very weird stuff going on with view schemes/panes.

Sometimes when you click a view scheme, it displays like empty thumbnails, with a caption of "<deleted file>"; at other times it may show the "file not found" icon, with no details at all shown. Click on another scheme or item in the tree and then back on the original sometimes clears it. It seems random.
Cheers
Rob

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 02:20:44 am »

Ive had this version crash on me twice now in about an hours use. Both times were Media Core errors.

Once was when I been using it for a little while, and then clicked on the Library Browser. As soon as I clicked there was a slight pause (like it dores sometimes as it's building thumbnails), and then bang!

I had the same thing. In album view, all image were gone and the text [fie removed] was the entry for everything.

Trying to go deeper in the Library Browser, or trying to refresh it caused a crash.

Restoring the library corrected the problem.

AndromAK

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Omnes Vulnerant, Ultima Necat
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2005, 05:18:52 am »

In a View Scheme, in Details List type, if the rating field is the first column, then, in Thumbnail mode (not in Album thumbnail mode), the mouseover let show the hand cursor, and if you click on a track with rating, this one is reseted to 0...

It is a problem, because you can reset rating by accident...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2005, 07:33:27 am »

Lunch,
It sounds like there is a drive involved that MC can't read sometimes.  You also had a firewire problem.  Can you start a new thread with these?  They may be related.

Jim

ChrisRainman

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
ISEMPTY Expression doesn't work
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2005, 10:17:23 am »

The ISEMPTY expression doesn't works for renaming operations (rename file from tags).
It shows no error but always defaults to FALSE.

The expression

IF(ISEMPTY([Album]),Tracks,Albums)

always results in the path albums even if the album is empty.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2005, 11:24:08 am »

Same here.  I have also seen weirdness with the file listings.  In my case, it would list a single file over and over again, often in a place where that file shouldn't even be listed at all (for example it would list 1 audio file ad infinitum when browsing under the Video tree).  It has appeared in both Standard View and Theater View.

Usually navigating out of the area and back into it would fix it.  Also, a question about the new Theater View Playing Now... Why have the bottom half video window when it doesn't actually play video files?  I would rather have the little Thumbnail we had before and stick to playback only in the full screen mode, personally, but if people really want to have the playback inside the playing now then I would guess it would be better to have it work...

Since it's the weekend, and I'll need to use MC, I'm going back to .218.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Myron

• World Citizen

Robert Taylor

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2005, 11:46:50 am »

Jim,

It seems unlikely that my firewire handheld slow transfer speed problem is related to the other issues, given the other posts here about strange view scheme behaviours, crashes etc. by other users.

I cleared my library and re-imported (I only have a fairly small library, as I'm living in the US currently, and have a subset of my collection with me). Clearing and re-importing seems to have fixed these weird navigation things for me.

I have absolutely no problems accessing my firewire drive in any other application/Windows.

The Nomad transfer speed issue has happened to me before, and was fixed in a subsequent build.
Cheers
Rob

Myron

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2005, 12:03:58 pm »

I've just experienced this same crash in Library Browser, but after a few navigation clicks.

marketability

• World Citizen
  • eat!
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2005, 02:53:18 pm »

I'm having stability issues too - with very high CPU% for many tasks
A netremote GAC search used to use 5-10% of the CPU - they now use 100%

Any clues?

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2005, 03:38:37 pm »

Retested my issues with this build (as lots of progress is being made) and still report the following:

1. DVDs don’t show up in the media library. They show up and can be played from Drives and Devices, but can’t be imported. For example I can playthe VTS_01_1 file from drives and devices and even change the “Name” and Genre” fields, but when I select import into library the file doesn’t import. No error, it just doesn’t show up in the Media Library section of the tree.

2. Can’t play a DVD from a network share. The same DVD plays fine from a local hard drive.

3. There is no ability to access common DVD commands (e.g. menu, change audio track, subtitles, etc.) by keypresses (or any other means that would allow a remote control to be used to while playing a DVD).  Without this, DVDs are not playable (for any practical purposes) in Theaterview.

4. DVD playback automatically resumes at last location. Although this is an improvement over putting up a normal dialog box to ask, this is problematic behavior for two reasons: (i) in Theaterview there still appears to be no way to easily get to the DVD main menu using a remote (see #3), and (ii) is selecting from a library of ripped DVDs (which is problematic now, see #1 and #2) there should be a way to have the default behavior be to play from the start. Preferably after selecting the file in Theaterview, a user could be presented with Theaterview style popup menu (e.g., much like the choice to open, play, add, select after selecting a music album) allowing the choice to start from the beginning or the last location.

5. The removable field is not filled in when items are imported

6. Bitrate field for all MPEG video files is shown as some large number that bears no correspondence to the actual bitrate.

7. When moving photos to another location within “Drives and Devices” the photos are moved, but often the view of the folder the files were moved from is not updated properly (e.g. some of the moved files are still shown, but with an X through the thumbnail showing that the underlying file is no longer present). This occurs when moving files between network shares (where I keep my photos). I think all that should be necessary to fix this problem would be doing a refresh when the move is complete.

DougHamm

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2005, 10:38:54 pm »

Hi guys,

1) Upgraded from 214 to 219 and noticed that when clicking various genres from the pane with thumbnail view underneith, 3 out of 10 times the library would report no albums under that genre ("double-click to import").  If I click a different genre and go back, it may or may not show the albums.  Reverting to 214 fixed the problem; switching genres populates albums consistently.

2) Tools, Options, Tree & View, Theater View causes weird behavior; pressing Esc backs it out.

Ciao,

-Doug

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2005, 08:35:13 am »

With this build I've been getting the following error that pops up in a yellow box from the task bar: "Windows - Delayed Write Failed Windows was unable to save the data for the file \\LEORA\MC Library\Media Center 11\Library\view state.jmd the data has been lost." That's it approximately (it disappears before I can transcribe the whole thing.

Tanguero

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2005, 09:13:51 am »

Searching by the Search field ignores the selection in the panes.
Note: It does restrict the searching according to the tree.

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2005, 10:44:52 am »

Now that Theaterview has its own options menu item, it needs to be removed as a sub item from the Tree and View options menu item. Selecting it there creates problems!

Robert Taylor

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2005, 11:09:17 am »

DWAnderson,

Re: Your "Delayed Write" problem...

Are you using an external IEEE1394 (Firewwire) disk drive by any chance? actually I just noticed that it's a network share you're talking to...). That error used to happen to me when I was trying to write to a firewire drive. there was a bug in windows which caused the drive to sporadically go offline. It would appear that windows is having trouble writing to your network drive momentarily. are you having any weird network issues?

I've just had a situation where MC (11.0.219) was playing tracks quite happily i  n the background (NOT minimised) while I was surfing and stuff, when I went to pop it back to the foreground to do a bit of tagging, it was unresponsive. It was still playing music happily.

I clicked on a few different areas of the screen, but no response. After what seemed like about 3-5 minutes, all of my clicks finally registered with MC, one of which was the close button...

I've noticed a few times in the last few builds some rather weird behaviour when you bring MC back to life after being hidden by other windows etc. or try to maximise it after it's been minimised.
Cheers
Rob

marketability

• World Citizen
  • eat!
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2005, 01:22:47 pm »

Lunchmeat...

That matches my findings. If I load MC and leave it maximised, it is responsive and takes Girder and NR commands quickly. If I leave it in the background and load an application in the foreground, NR and Girder commands slow down massively.
The situation appears to deteriorate the more times MC is brought to forground and then minimised.

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2005, 01:29:07 pm »

Are you using an external IEEE1394 (Firewwire) disk drive by any chance? actually I just noticed that it's a network share you're talking to...). That error used to happen to me when I was trying to write to a firewire drive. there was a bug in windows which caused the drive to sporadically go offline. It would appear that windows is having trouble writing to your network drive momentarily. are you having any weird network issues?

No. Just a network share on another PC.

Valissystem

• World Citizen
  • Muso on ice...
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2005, 02:11:56 pm »

That matches my findings.

Me three. A couple of days ago, I had a situation where MC was in the background and was unresponsive in the GUI while playback seemed to be fine. The example was that changing tracks didn't update the Track Info display for quite a few seconds. During this time, mouse clicks had no effect, however they seemed to have been queued up and took effect after around 10-12 seconds.

lpr

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2005, 02:18:43 pm »

[...]

There's also some very weird stuff going on with view schemes/panes.

Sometimes when you click a view scheme, it displays like empty thumbnails, with a caption of "<deleted file>"; at other times it may show the "file not found" icon, with no details at all shown. Click on another scheme or item in the tree and then back on the original sometimes clears it. It seems random.

Ditto! I've had crashes where it was impossible to reload MC after... I've reverted 2 betas down and things are more stable.

indybrett

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2005, 04:53:54 am »

It has crashed on me several times while switching from album view to artist view while using the library browser.

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2005, 06:53:17 am »

It has crashed on me several times while switching from album view to artist view while using the library browser.

Same problem here multiple times this weekend.  I saw this on a fresh install on MC on my new PC with just 200 MP3s loaded so far.  MC's LB (Library Browser) would get to a 'corrupted' state and display only 200 'deleted icons all in 1 album and 1 artist.  Then, at some point LB would crash MC when you just clicked on the LB node (that happened alot) or on one of LB's icons (genre, artist, albums, files).

I deleted the MC cache directory on user's Doc & Settings\Application Data\J River..., but that fixed it for only a bit and then LB would get corrupted soon after.  I did this multple time, but LB would still eventually go corrupt again.  I uninstalled and reinstalled MC 11 twice, but LB would still eventually go currpt.  I only had about 24 Albums (MP3s) loaded and with MC retrieving Cover Art for each of them (during Import).  Maybe the cover art is causing LB to crash MC (I don't know).

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2005, 06:58:54 am »

The Dell DJ Plug-in for MC 11 is 'horrible' and really needs work.  I feel if someone just gave it 2 or 3 days attention, the problems could be resolved and MC 11 could interface with the DJ better than Dell's stock Dell DJ Explorer software.  I've had to resort to the the DJ Explorer software use because MC's plug-in just crashes or does bad things if you try to do any 'useful' with it in MC.

Problems are listed HERE.  I know...the iPod gets all the attention because it's the biggest, but there are others out there.

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2005, 07:23:34 am »

If you rename a Library Field's Display name (using Options -> Library and Edit), you cannot add that modified field to a view's column list (Customoize Current View).  Any attempt to add it via the Add... button (Field -> <giant list>) just ignores your selection.

BTW - Can't we have the old style list of fields back with checkboxes next to them to add/see all the fields available?  It was must better that way.  You could put that back and just have a button for adding Expressions... (maybe call the button "Expressions..." or something.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2005, 09:52:59 am »

I cleared my library and re-imported (I only have a fairly small library, as I'm living in the US currently, and have a subset of my collection with me). Clearing and re-importing seems to have fixed these weird navigation things for me.

Unfortunately, this is not really an option for the vast majority of us...

I thought I would mention...  I rolled back to .218 and it seems (though I have no actual empirical data to support this belief) that some, though not all, of the stability issues are new to .219.  Since rolling back I have not had any of the navigation wackiness mentioned above.

I have however still had a number of crashes (Media Core) though I would definately say I've had fewer with the rollback then I had with .219.  In addition to crashes, on a number of occasions MC has frozen completely -- including video playback -- only to "unstick" 30-60 seconds later and race through everything that happened (including flying through the video playback) while the program was frozen.  This definately seemed random, but happened a number of times (4-5) to me yesterday while using MC to playback video (enough that my girlfriend stated "Tell that Matt guy that its all messed up!").

So basically I'm reporting that while some of the problems seem related to the .219 build, not all of the recent problems were introduced in the new version.  Nothing shocking here really, gobs of new features were added in the recent builds ... I imagine it will take some time to settle and refine the changes for stability.

I would be happy to post debug/log information in a new thread if needed, just tell me where/what/how.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jaguar.x

• Junior Woodchuck
  • no matter what you do...
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2005, 11:33:05 am »

I am still not able to RIP an audio CD using MC MP3 encoder, I had to download LAME encoder from its site to be able to RIP a CD in MC.  Is this happening only to my installation of MC?
______
...for every begin there is another end to keep on beginning...

NickM

• Simplicity isn't always best, but it's easy to fix
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2005, 11:52:55 am »

Small bug anbd I think it appeared in 216, the dialogue box does not show the normalisation percentage.  It seems to accept a new value and work, but on return to the Options page, the field appears blank.
nick
Pages: [1]   Go Up