INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: album artist gone... again  (Read 2821 times)

RobotX

• Recent member
album artist gone... again
« on: March 23, 2005, 01:13:19 am »

transfering by album artist to the ipod doesn't work anymore with MC11.  I have a ton of compilation albums so this was a necessity for me.  Why does this keep breaking? Or is this now how's going to be? This is the ONLY reason why I bought Media Center and why I don't use iTunes. Please fix this!

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: album artist gone... again
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 05:17:16 pm »

RobotX,

This does not keep breaking, it has not been in for a long time. It may change, but not in the immediate future.

Steve

RobotX

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 07:01:35 pm »

What version did this last work? I'll install that version. Thanks.

RobotX

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 04:19:14 pm »

To answer my own question and to help other in the same boat. I looked up one my old post where I asked the same question when the album artist option was removed from MC10.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=22666.msg161850#msg161850

so version 11.0.66 was the last version that worked. Since I don't use MC for anything other than music, I'm hoping this will do the trick.

pank2002

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 12:18:59 pm »

Has the Album Artist as Artist on iPod feature returned? It's so annoying to have albums split over multiple artist.

Thanks,
Rasmus

BTW: Steve, the iPod plugin works perfect for me now. You have done some nice work while I haven't had my iPod  ;D
Music is life... the rest is details.
Here is a security related website: secubi.dk

SteveG

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 12:58:38 pm »

Rasmus,

It does not work yet, but is on the list of things to reexamine after the release of 11.

Thanks,

Steve

Chris Shaw

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2005, 07:39:24 pm »

I've just got an iPod and was disappointed to see the Album Artist (auto) didn't work. I'm still using MC10 but if this were fixed, it would be a major incentive to move to MC11

Eidolon

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 11:45:45 pm »

Would using "Album Artist" instead of "Album Artist (auto)" be easier to program? 

For my collection that would work as I have manually populated all my files with the appropriate "Album Artist" (15,000 + files - my compilations have "Various Artists" as the "Album Artist".)

While that might not be ideal for everyone, it'd be a whole lot better than nothing.  For me, this is my #1 issue with MC.  I really don't want to retag files as a workaround, but I also hate how junked up my iPod is....

SteveG

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2005, 03:37:23 pm »

In the future this system can be expanded so that file matching will be more flexible and it will not matter what you use for 'Artist' on the iPod.

Nolonemo

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm still a malla!
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2005, 04:00:16 pm »

Would using "Album Artist" instead of "Album Artist (auto)" be easier to program? 

For my collection that would work as I have manually populated all my files with the appropriate "Album Artist" (15,000 + files - my compilations have "Various Artists" as the "Album Artist".)

While that might not be ideal for everyone, it'd be a whole lot better than nothing.  For me, this is my #1 issue with MC.  I really don't want to retag files as a workaround, but I also hate how junked up my iPod is....

Here's how I've dealt with the problem while I wait for MC to bring the feature back:

I have created a custom tag field, "Artists".  Using Library Tools,  I copy the "artist" field to "artists".  (So all my individual artist tags in compliations are backed up)  Then I copy "album artist [auto]" to "Artist."  So, when I sync to my Zen, the artist field will show the artists for albums and "various artists" (or whatever "album artist [auto]" shows) for compilations.  The way you're set up now, you could copy over either "Album Artist" or "Album Artist [auto]" to achieve the same result.  The key is to back up the individual artist tags to another tag.

When the plugin gets updated to let us map tags, I'll simply mass copy all the "Artists" tags back to "Artist" so my tagging is standard again. 

Hope this helps.

P.S.  Because the menu system in the Zen only allows you to search Genre->Album or Artist->Album (instead of Genre->Artist->Album, which is what I'd like), I've also modified my "Album" field.  I back up the original "Album" field to a custom "Albums" field, and then I use the "get tags from file" (or whatever it's called) to fill the "Album" field with "artist-album" (my music is stored on my PC by album: I have a top leve folder for each genre folders, under which are "artist-album" folders, one folder per album), getting the field values from the directory structure.

That way, on the Zen, when I go into a genre, I don't see a list of album names (or 5 "Greatest Hits" in a row with no clue who the artist is, or a bunch of Symphony 1s, Symphony 5s, etc), but have all the music in the genre showing in artist order ("Beatles - Rubber Soul" "Beatles - White Album")

I have the MC pane view set to show columns for Genre Artist Albums -- since I have the artist showing in the artist column, I don't have to repeat it in the album title column.

If Creative ever gets its act together and writes some decent firmware for the Zen that allows decent level searching, I'll restore to the standard tag format....

SteveG

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2005, 04:05:41 pm »

Nolonemo,

Good suggestion. Thanks.

Steve

pank2002

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2005, 05:33:18 pm »

Oh, what a party we will have once the new iPod plugin comes... *sight*

Will it be a v12 project or a v11-after-release project?
Music is life... the rest is details.
Here is a security related website: secubi.dk

SteveG

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2005, 08:35:49 am »

Not sure.
Pages: [1]   Go Up