INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shuffle button should....  (Read 2219 times)

datdude

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Shuffle button should....
« on: March 22, 2005, 11:12:24 pm »

be applied to the currently higlited view.  This would make it easy to randomise the media library or the playing now view for which ever is currently selected by the user. 
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Shuffle button should....
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 10:16:29 am »

This is how my girlfriend wants it to work, and how I wanted it to work when I was a novice MJ user.

I think that should count for something....
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 04:24:04 pm »

That'd work, but you'd sacrifice the "always shuffle" capability you get now when you turn shuffle mode on.

Any other opinions? ( except for "add an option" ;) )
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 04:53:56 pm »

Seriously though, the way I would implement it would be to leave it exactly as it is now, except for to add logic to the click of the Shuffle button that when MC is actively playing, and the Shuffle mode is being enabled (rather than disabled) it automatically performs a "shuffle" command on whatever list is currently in the Playing Now (the same as going to the Playing Now list and right-click --> Shuffle).

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2005, 05:06:22 pm »

That'd work, but you'd sacrifice the "always shuffle" capability you get now when you turn shuffle mode on.

As of right now I use a random sorting filter in the main search field.  I like this becuase it provides variety when using the media library.  However there are times when I am browsing by album thumbnail, and would prefer the albums are sorted normally.  So I would then have to remove the filter which is easy except to re-apply the random filter you have to go through a nested menu which is always cumbersome. 

Maybe a toolbar button that says 'Sorting'.  If it could act as a toggle between random and artist sorting that would be perfect!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2005, 05:29:22 pm »

As of right now I use a random sorting filter in the main search field.

Ahh ... I misunderstood what he wanted.  I assumed he meant that he wanted it to shuffle the currently playing list without having to stop and start playback (which I still think isn't a bad idea).

Datdude, why don't you just create a new, identical View Scheme and in the View Scheme creation dialog box under step four add Sort [Random]?  That way you could have two schemes, 1 sorted and 1 not, and easily switch between the two.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2005, 05:46:42 pm »

Glynor, I hit edit instead of quote and mangled your post.  Sorry.

Seriously though, the way I would implement it would be to leave it exactly as it is now, except for to add logic to the click of the Shuffle button that when MC is actively playing, and the Shuffle mode is being enabled (rather than disabled) it automatically performs a "shuffle" command on whatever list is currently in the Playing Now (the same as going to the Playing Now list and right-click --> Shuffle).

Good idea, but wait, that's exactly how it works now :P
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2005, 05:53:09 pm »

Ahh ... I misunderstood what he wanted.  I assumed he meant that he wanted it to shuffle the currently playing list without having to stop and start playback (which I still think isn't a bad idea).

Datdude, why don't you just create a new, identical View Scheme and in the View Scheme creation dialog box under step four add Sort [Random]?  That way you could have two schemes, 1 sorted and 1 not, and easily switch between the two.

How do I create a new view scheme and keep the other?  I go to edit view scheme and I can modify it but no where to add another?

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2005, 06:00:51 pm »

Help files actually do work.  Now I know how to actually create and save my own view scheme.  It would still be cool to have a random toggle button. ;D

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2005, 06:01:56 pm »

Good idea, but wait, that's exactly how it works now :P

Dang!  He's right!  Was it always that way, or am I just numb?

Help files actually do work.  Now I know how to actually create and save my own view scheme.  It would still be cool to have a random toggle button. ;D

I was just getting ready to tell you to RTFM.   ;D  Good job!  Custom View Schemes are really the reason MC is such a powerful media library.  Once you get into it, you get hooked!

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2005, 06:09:29 pm »

glynor, it seems that the only way to switch between views is through the tree side bar.  I usually have that minimised and prefer to use the toolbar.  Is there another way to switch?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2005, 07:05:53 pm »

I am actually a Tree View user (I don't like the iTunes-style panes at all), so I didn't know at first, but I just figured it out.

Add the button called Navigation to your toolbar.

Open the Tree View, and select the first View Scheme (say, the Sorted one).  In your new Navigation button (which should drop down when you click it) select "Add to Favorites" and type in an appropriate name for the View Scheme (such as "Sorted" in your case).

Then using the tree, select the other "Random" View Scheme you created.  Repeat the add favorites task from above (but give it a different name of course).

Now, when you click on the Navigation button the first two choices in the menu will be the two favorites you created.  Select them and they will take you there.  You can keep the Tree View closed if you want!  You can reorganize the favorites you have (put them in different orders and add dividers and whatnot) by selecting Organize Favorites under the Navigation button.

You can add a favorite for any location in the tree (such as your CD/DVD drive for example) to have it show up in that menu!

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2005, 07:25:07 pm »

Thanks alot! :)  I did see the navigation button a didn't really know what it could be used for.  Now I do.  It's funny because this proves that MC truly is the best media app out there hands down.  I mean we have 2 completely different viewing styles and yet MC still works great for each other.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2005, 08:57:15 pm »

It's funny because this proves that MC truly is the best media app out there hands down.  I mean we have 2 completely different viewing styles and yet MC still works great for each other.

Absolutely!   ;D

Actually, when you asked how you could navigate between View Schemes without using the Tree, I initially thought ... "Oh, I don't think you can do that."

Then, I thought... "Wait a minute, this is MC...There's got to be a way!"  And, of course, there was.  It is quite a testament to the amazing flexibility of the program.

Pages: [1]   Go Up