INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media receivers and max library size?  (Read 1876 times)

raistlin2k

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
Media receivers and max library size?
« on: March 30, 2005, 06:22:32 am »

Hello everybody!

Some weeks ago, I returned my Noxon because it was unable to browse my library of 50.000 mp3s (legal recorded from DVB-S), it just crashed all the time, due to too small RAM built into the Noxon according to Terratec Support.

Since then, I searched around a lot in the internet to find the limitations of other media receivers regarding the number of files in the database. BUT I didn't find a lot, Netgear even replied that the MP101 allows only 12.000 files, somehow wierd since a german magazine tested the device with 17.000 files with no problems.

So, could everyone please tell me which device he is using and how big the library is?
I would be especially interested in users having Netgear MP101, Roku Soundbridge and Philips SL50i.

Thanks
Raist

P.S. I think that I am not the only one interested in this topic...

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: Media receivers and max library size?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 11:11:25 am »

Hi raistlin2k

It's not a clear cut picture. I don't think library size has a lot to do with it - instead, it's the size of the folders you are browsing. The protocol doesn't say "give me the entire library", it says "give me the contents of this container".

If you keep the container size down, it should work better.

The 12000 file limit MAY be the NetGear software limit, not the MP101 hardware limit.
I've played a playlist with 10,000 songs on the MP101 with no problems.

j

davisford

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 11:40:56 am »

Hi, I have the Roku Soundbridge M1000, and a library size of ~20,000 songs.  It works flawlessly with iTunes.

It still does not work right with MC11, but I am still hopeful that I will find the problem...which may be totally unrelated to library size (as John indicates).

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 12:05:09 pm »

One thing I've noticed - the NetGear asks for a small number of items at a time (8?), and the Roku
a larger number (450?). This may be the source of some of the trouble...

j

helpme

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 01:58:23 pm »

with the MP101 the 12K limit is more about their server software than the receiver.

At about that point their database blows apart.

I'm serving around 15K songs using MC11 and have also done so with other server software.

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 02:07:37 pm »

My Audiotrons handle 20,000+ songs just fine, but I suspect they would have problems in the 50,000 song range.

(The Audiotron isn't PnP, but it wasn't clear your question was limited to PnP devices.)

raistlin2k

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005, 04:23:05 pm »

Hi raistlin2k

It's not a clear cut picture. I don't think library size has a lot to do with it - instead, it's the size of the folders you are browsing. The protocol doesn't say "give me the entire library", it says "give me the contents of this container".

If you keep the container size down, it should work better.

The 12000 file limit MAY be the NetGear software limit, not the MP101 hardware limit.
I've played a playlist with 10,000 songs on the MP101 with no problems.

j

So what about the root folder of "Audio", in this one all files are browsed using MC interface, is it the same for the UPNP device? Because in that case, it would clear out why the Noxon crashed...

Thanks
Raist

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2005, 04:27:25 pm »

No, the contents of the audio folder are the various audio view schemes. So it is relatively few items...

j
Pages: [1]   Go Up