INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 PC's, best practices?  (Read 2217 times)

akmed

• Recent member
  • It's better to burn out, than to fade away....
2 PC's, best practices?
« on: March 28, 2005, 11:16:34 am »

I have converted my old machine into a HTPC box using MC10 w/Theater View and ATI's remote wonder.  Works well.

Now that I have a new office machine, what is my best option for dealing with my audio/video library between the two systems?

Ideally I want to maintain one library, but I want both machines to have access to it, plus I don't really want to be forced to have both machines on at the same time (otherwise I'd just use media server and be done with it).

So do I need file synchronization software, or is there a way to do this in MC?

OS is winxp home.

Thanks,
--a

risingdamp

• Galactic Citizen
Re: 2 PC's, best practices?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 03:19:58 pm »

I use one PC as my dev pc and my HTPC for playback.  I share the library between both PC's but never do this at the same time as it can corrupt your library.  Also if you do this take regular back ups of your library.  Having said this I've been doing it for years and not corrupted a library yet.  I have both PC's switched on all the time but if you don't want your HTPC switched on all the time just put your library and files on your other machine then map a drive on your HTPC using the same drive letter.  i.e. if your MP3s are on your dev machine on the d drive map the d drive on your htpc to that drive.  Then you won't have to bother with UNC paths which gets a bit messy.

Library Server doesn't work for me since it only allows ready only access to file tags and I need to tag from both pc's (on the HTPC this is typically ratings).
JLee

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 04:34:44 pm »

In MC10, it can be done with Media Server.

In MC11, that was replaced with the Library Server plug-in.  You can find a link to instructions in the thread here called "MC11 Instructions".  It's in the tree and configured there.

You need exactly the same version on both PC's. 

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 12:32:42 am »

He said he didn't want to have the other computer on at the same time, your strategies demands that. The only way I can think of is to use some third part file sync program (File Sync, Super Flexible File Synchronizer are my two choises, the latter is the best) and then run sync every time something new is added to the library on one computer. Then do a backup of that library and restore it on the other computer (that's only possible of course if you have the same partition letters on both).
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

bbuckeye

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 03:32:16 pm »

Maybe I'm being too simple here.. but I just map a network drive to each computer that you want to have access to the library.  I set the drive to autoconnect on bootup.  All my files are on one hard drive on computer (A) with an extra hard drive in it using drive letter "d".  Just map that drive to each of your other puters.  If you use the same drive letter all your playlists will still work without adjustment.

I've been doing this since Mj7 with no problems and have had up to 5 computers running it (At the same time) with no problems to the library.  You can also do maintance with this setup including tag updating, file name changing, adding files etc assuming you have your permissions set to allow this on the host computer.

Brutus

bbuckeye

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 03:33:58 pm »

well I just realized the original poster said he didn't want to have the other computer on necessarily, so my idea won't work.  I leave my host machine on all the time.  ah well.. good luck

risingdamp

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 04:28:01 pm »

I suspect he'd be happy to one of the machines switched on all the time if that gives him a good solution.  My bet is that he doesn't want the HTPC swicthed on all the time 'cos he hasn't silenced it but he'd be happy to have the otehr pc switched on when need be.

The question is do you want to follow matiffs suggestion or would you rather just switch on the pc (that holds library and files) when you need it?
JLee

akmed

• Recent member
  • It's better to burn out, than to fade away....
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2005, 09:35:40 pm »

Yeah, I'm thinking the new machine will be on all the time and let the htpc access it for the music library.

I have some thermal challenges with the htpc so it can't be on all the time right now.

thanks for the tips

--a

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2005, 12:45:34 am »

Simplest soultion i can think of is desktop sharing, just remote to the HTPC from the office PC. It even allows you to transfer the sound to your office PC from the HTPC (if required).

Of Course both machines need to be on.

Jakester

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2005, 10:12:33 am »

Don't forget about a true network drive, if you really don't want a PC on all the time.  Of course, this "drive" has smarts of its own and must be left on all the time.  But it can exist anywhere on your network and therefore can be out of site and out of mind ...
Pages: [1]   Go Up