INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Assorted Album logic  (Read 1208 times)

NickM

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Simplicity isn't always best, but it's easy to fix
Assorted Album logic
« on: March 28, 2005, 09:08:17 pm »

Whether the file location is under “Assorted”, seems to be determined by placing a “(Multiple Artists)” entry in the extended tag under “Album Artist”.

However, some compilation CD’s have a real album artist as well as being multiple artist CD’s.  But, if the “Album Artist” tag is set to something like Pete Tong, the CD is no longer filed under Assorted.

So really the logic should be that any entry in the “Album Artist” which is not the same as the “Artist” field,  makes the file location under Assorted.

Please…

nick

NickM

Re: Assorted Album logic
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 03:57:26 am »

I may have something wrong then… If I enter anything for [Album Artist] other than “(Multiple Artists)” my file locations are
[Artist for Track 1]\[Album]
[Artist for Track 2]\[Album]
etc.
This is messy if the artists are not all the same!

From what you are saying, you end up with your files in \Jools Holland\Small World Big Band Friends 3 - Jack O The Green\track_1 etc.

I suppose the flexibility to chose would be the best solution.

nick

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 04:40:24 am »

This may sound unbelievable and awful, but from time to time we still have to touch the keyboard and fill some library fields manually. Wearing protective rubber gloves could make the physical experience of touching the thing more tolerable.

;)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

NickM

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 09:28:37 am »

My keyboard doesn't work...
Captain, this is not logical...
I'm lazy... etc.

I know, I know; just trying to make this process more intuative.

nick

NickM

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 11:35:42 am »

Yes the world looks a better place and I can eventually sleep easy..  (Thanks !)

But,  simple interfaces, simple useability blah blah etc.  I have a question for you; I'm assuming everyone in the world who deals in digital music has an iPod? (or equivalent)  Ever read the instruction manual?  I guess not.

The art in great software is not features and functionality; it's ease of use.  And that requires a great deal of work.

To get my files the right way in the right place ( purely subjective, I know), some stuff is under Options, File Location, some under Encoding, some under Devices and some only there when you give up and have to Rename.

To achieve what you or I want in our cataloguing exercises should not require complex renaming algorithms.  Maybe a one-off exercise to change the defaults but once set-up the rest should just happen...

nick

Simple

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 12:00:37 pm »

...I'm assuming everyone in the world who deals in digital music has an iPod? (or equivalent)  Ever read the instruction manual?  I guess not... nick

Did you ever try to do something similar within iTunes? I guess not... ;D

NickM

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 07:25:29 pm »

Funny you should mention that..  I do have iTunes as well.  The only reason that I have it is because MC doesn't work with my Shuffle (yet, I hope).

If iTunes was the only piece of software then this would not be an issue.  It's only because I use MC for everything and have to revert to iTunes to get stuff onto the Shuffle that I need files arranged this way.

Quick, quick, get Shuffle support please!

nick

keefy

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2005, 08:04:25 am »

But,  simple interfaces, simple useability blah blah etc.  I have a question for you; I'm assuming everyone in the world who deals in digital music has an iPod? (or equivalent)  Ever read the instruction manual?  I guess not.

Well, I don't.  I'm not going to get suckered into paying a couple hundred bucks to Apple every few months when the batteries run down (too many acquaintainces have dead iPods).   I don't think I would ever throw my money away like that ... the whole affair reminds me of IBM's Thinkpads -- more status symbol than actual useability.

But I understand where you're coming from.  I like Media Center over Jukebox because for the most part it is intuitive, and I can make those tiny little corrections to files as I find them easily.
Pages: [1]   Go Up