INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with Iriver HP120  (Read 2289 times)

Zoom

• Recent member
Help with Iriver HP120
« on: April 01, 2005, 03:43:43 pm »

Hello all,

I have created a playlist in MC11, and try to export it to my HP120.  It shows up on the player, however when clicking play it gives me an error message.

I have tried to export with a .m3u extention.

Is there a plugin I need to download?  If so where can I find it? 

Please help!

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Help with Iriver HP120
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 04:48:45 pm »

How does the 120 appear to your PC? As a removable or fixed drive in Windows Explorer? Can you access it with WMP?

Steve

Zoom

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 11:35:34 pm »

It appears as a fixxed drive, when I export the playlist and view it with notepad it still contains the letter c:/ (should it be i:/?)  I am not sure what the HP120 considers its own drive.  The only way I can access it at the momment is though my computer, either in windows explorer or in the "drives and devices" section in MC11.

The way I have my files set up is that they are all in the same folders.  One is on my desktop with the main folder "Music" and the one on my portable is just in the root dir in the folder "Music".  From there the paths should be the same.

Thanks for the feedback I could really use the help!

Alex_B

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2005, 04:46:37 pm »

Hi Zoom,

I am not sure that playlist export function is designed to do what you ask for.  I use instead Synchronization mode with my iRiver and I am very glad with it. Synching will transfer both selected files and playlists and will keep it updated .

You need to start with configuring your player for detection (Tools-Options-Handheld). Pls. also update to the latest MC11 and check out a thread "IHP140" by SteveG  from couple of days ago - there you would find Iriver specific configuration tip.  You can configure a desired tree structure on your device by right clicking on the handheld player button in the action window.

Good luck,

Alex

SteveG

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 12:29:58 pm »

Thanks Alex.

Zoom

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 02:07:07 pm »

Perfect, the sync function is somthing I could use.  A few problems though:

Background:  To start from scratch I deleted all the files from my player and let MC take it over as a handheld.  All my music files are saved in a "Music" folder on my desktop, in subfolders.

I wish to sync the Music folder on my PC (the main source) and the player.

When transfering files to the player they simply all go in the f:/ dir and not into subfolders like on the desktop.  Is there a way I can preserve the file location on the player as well?  (it helps orginization).  Further more, I notice MC is not able to import all my media files (a few fail which I can deal with), yet I lose even more files when attempting to "sync".  It tells me I cannot transfer .txt or picture files because they are not supported (how can I fix this?).

Before I see if the playlist feature works this way, I would like to get the previous issues solved. 

If I can get this to work, I will be an extremely satisfied customer.  Music is my passion and I am dying to get it on my handheld.  Thanks for any suggestions/comments.

Zoom

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2005, 03:38:50 pm »

I guess what I am asking is if instead of syncing the Media Library can I jsut do a folder.

EDIT:  I found out how to change it so it preserves the path - but is there a way I can edit it so that it doesnt show documents and settings / desktop etc?  Or would I have to transfer my folder to my C drive?

Alex_B

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2005, 05:05:43 pm »

Hey Zoom, as you probably figured out already, MC can rearrange your upload folders based on the source filepath or based on the tag information (f.e. Arist/Album,etc., which is pretty neat function). If you really want to keep the source path, I suggest to move everything to drive C:\.

You don't have to synchronize the entire media liabrary, you can limit the action down to several playlists (configurable in tools/ options/ handheld/ configure transfer options.... You may also want to untick that Auto-delete track option, so that MC will only transfer new tracks from your library and will not delete any tracks from the handheld.) I guess you know how to create rule-based smartlist in MC. Also check out "Larry's Ipod Notes" Sticky topic on this forum which offer pretty good hints how to manage your files on handheld.

I have indeed noticed that some of my MP3 and OGG files could not be synchronized to iRiver with this latest MC 11 release. I would like to do some more research next weekend before raising this as an issue to Steve.  I guess though it is normal that jpg and txt files are not synchronized. I have tested that when you manually copy them to iRiver they don't get delete by synch procees either.

hope this helps.

Alex

Zoom

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2005, 05:32:35 pm »

Thanks Alex, you have been a great help.

Zoom

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2005, 03:04:39 am »

I moved my whole music folder to the  C:/My Music so the file paths would be the same on the hand held.

When syncing the playlist all goes well, it reads - and then fails on the Iriver.

What can I do?

when I open the file in notepad it shows ./album/artist/asdas.mp3

is this a correct path or am I doing somthing wrong?

What kind of .m3u does the Iriver need to read!?

SteveG

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2005, 11:13:59 am »

I moved my whole music folder to the  C:/My Music so the file paths would be the same on the hand held.

This was not necessary.

When syncing the playlist all goes well, it reads - and then fails on the Iriver.

What reads and how does what fail on the iRiver?

What kind of .m3u does the Iriver need to read!?

If the 120 is like the 140 it needs the files in the playlists to have '\' instead of '.\'. If this is the case, you must enter '\' in the default playlistfile path when in the drive configuration.

Steve

Zoom

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2005, 12:12:58 pm »

Finally working!  I didnt realize ./ and / made such a difference.  It could of saved me a lot of time if I had known i did not have to move all my files to the C drive.  For future reference, how would have I defined to exclude a certain path example: documents/desktop?  And if I move all my files again is there a way the playlist can automatically update or do I have to manually drag and drop the files all over again?

SteveG

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2005, 12:16:17 pm »

how would have I defined to exclude a certain path example: documents/desktop?

Defined what? What are you trying to do?

And if I move all my files again is there a way the playlist can automatically update or do I have to manually drag and drop the files all over again?

When transferring to a portable, where the files are is irrelevant. MC sends the files and then will create a playlist on the device to correspond with the MC playlist being sent from MC.

Steve

Zoom

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2005, 12:35:40 pm »

Hmmm. 

Thanks for all you help Alex and Steve.  Keep up the good work!  My main goal of getting playlists to work is done.

I will play around with some of the other questions I asked later today. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up