INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Server Performance issue  (Read 1021 times)

mander

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Media Server Performance issue
« on: April 18, 2004, 08:47:34 pm »

Thought I would start a new thread regarding this.  Have been a customer for a few years, but just really started to look at using the server portion of the product.  Here are my comments, thoughts, things that would make a good product better.

So this is the current size of the library:
44,831 files, I have about 30k more files to add to the library.  Broken out as:
Audio: 5234
Video: 680

So I have hit a few issues.  When building the image list... Instead of sending over the thumbnails (4-15k each) Media Server sends the entire image (3-15M) and rebuilds the thumbnail locally.  This is a huge perf issue.  Would rather it send the thumbnails, or give you the option.  Also is there a cache size option?  How about the ability to configure the sizing and quality of the thumbnail?  How about just saving the larger size thumbnail and resizing it down for the other places?  Saves disk space.    How about the option to leave thumbnails for libraries.  As it is now it builds an image play list (200megs transferred data) then I close media center.  Then it rebuilds that same list by re-downloading the full image again.  Then I open one of the images and low and behold it downloads it again.  Actually re-downloads every time I do anything with it.  Should have some cache structure.  

Video files even worse on the above issues.

On the image side one sweet feature would be to let the server or the client set what res and quality to send images at.  This way the server could resize to predefined settings before the download saving a ton of bandwidth.

How about the option to have multiple connections from a client if it needs it?

When I stop sharing I get this error in the server log:
04/18/04 18:20:29 - sharing thread exiting
04/18/04 18:21:20 - bad port <>
04/18/04 18:21:20 - tcp_write failed error=10038
04/18/04 18:21:20 - bad version
04/18/04 18:21:22 - Stopped auto response thread.

When I add images, etc to the library.  I have to stop the server and the media center and the remote machine before play lists are updated.

Okay thats the first pass.  If I am missing some advanced options throw them my way by all means ;)  

Matthew

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re:Media Server Performance issue
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004, 02:53:55 pm »

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for the comments. We're working on some of those, and I'll look at others.
You can adjust the buffer size on the client. The error doesn't mean anything.

j

MAPgeekdad

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Mets fan
Re: Media Server Performance issue
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005, 10:20:56 pm »

does the "build missing thumbnails" function do anything to file tags?
Pages: [1]   Go Up