INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC10 and Slink-e  (Read 1548 times)

lostmike

MC10 and Slink-e
« on: April 02, 2005, 10:59:51 am »

Help...  I had somehow convinced myself that Media Center could organize and control the CD's in my Sony CD jukeboxes via Slink-e.  Sort of a major upgrade to Nirvis's CDJ.  But now I can not find any way to do it after purchasing MC.

Mike

PS... I don't want to get into a discussion of the advantages of ripping all my CD's to hard drive.  That's a future endeavor...

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC10 and Slink-e
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 11:02:21 am »

The Slink-e product was discontinued on June 30th, 2004

http://www.nirvis.com/slink-e.htm
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

lostmike

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005, 11:08:45 am »

Yes, it was.  But I own one and would like to use it.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2005, 11:37:35 am »

MC doesn't support the Slink-E.  There may be a way, but I don't know how.

kaiynne

• World Citizen
  • I Changed this by choosing profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2005, 04:33:12 pm »

As a previous owner of a slink-e and 3 sony 400 disc changers, I am pretty much certain that there is no current way to integrate a slink-e with anything other than cdj.  I am sure you have checked out their support forum but it had degenerated beyond all usability before they even discontinued the slink-e.  I am sure that someone could write a plugin for media center to allow some interaction, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

I know you asked me not to do this but here goes anyway;

sell the slink-e on ebay while the price is high, I have seen them go for over $300.
Sell your changers, depending on the model, you could expect $150+ each.

assuming you have 2 you will end up with aprox $600.  More than enough to build an entry level media center pc.

Storing you music as APE files will require under 300gig so one large drive will suffice.  if you have a frys nearby get their cheap MB/CPU combo a cheap video card 512MB of ram and you will be off and running.

lostmike

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2005, 05:50:10 pm »

Thanks for the info.  I built up a nice little PC using an Asus Pundit-R platform to use as a media control platform.  I've been playing with ripping disks today and its incredibly easy with J River, so that's probably the way I'm going to go.  Only thing I'll need now is a studio quality multi-channle sound card so I can feed multiple zones in my audio system with sererate streams. 

Major feature lost is the coolness factor of two mage changers dong their thing!  CD's spinning around with a blue light behing them get a lot more ohhs and ahhs than a sharp looking PC!   ;)

Mike

kaiynne

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2005, 04:31:35 am »

I think I people are more impressed with what is displayed on my tv through MC than they ever were with my cd changers.  My wife would always look at them and make some comment about how so much room being taken up for playing music meant we were living in the dark ages...

kaiynne

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2005, 04:32:54 am »

you might also want to check out my htpc guide using MC, it is not done yet but getting closer.

i can't find the link right now but do a search for HTPC tutorial. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up