INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Noise added to tracks after ripping  (Read 1090 times)

ph4824

• nothing more to say...
Noise added to tracks after ripping
« on: October 17, 2002, 06:31:31 am »

When I use Mediajukebox to copy a CD almost every coppied CD has at least one track with a very short white noise clip over the recording, usually within a few seconds of the track playing.

This will happen every time I convert CD to my hard drive in uncompressed Wav format. Doesn't seem to be happening when I convert to MP3 though.

The only way to describe the noise is that is sounds like white noise, the sounds you get from your TV or radio when it's not tuned into a program.

Is this a fault with Mediajukebox ?

My computer is less than one year old, it has 512 DDR RAM, 1900+ AMD processor with 3x Rom drives - 54x, CD burner, DVDRom all new. I have tried in the past to slow down the ripping speed and have tried my other Rom drives but I still get the same problem.

You can download a very small clip to hear for yourselves at www.phmultimedia.com/mp3 - file size is only 160K converted to 128K MP3 from Wav.

Thanks in advance for your helpful comments.

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re: Noise added to tracks after ripping
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2002, 06:43:02 am »

Wow - that's strange.

Got to ask the usual: do you have the.....
latest MJ
latest soundcard drivers
latest OS service packs
latest ASPI

See if you can narrow it down to MJ (in other words, use some other ripper (like EAC), and perform exactly the same operation). Let the world know what happens.

Xenno

elgibby

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Go Red Sox
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2002, 08:36:27 am »

I had the same problem a while back.

Don't know if that thread still exists, haven't looked.

Anyway, JRiver folks suggested that my DVD drive, which I used for ripping, was "out of synch" and that new drivers might fix the problem.  I've been using generic XP drivers and have not explored that fix yet.

However, since then I've used my CDRW drive for ripping and everything seems to be OK; no more white noise blasts. (I also got clicks and pops; sounded just like an old vinyl record!!).

So, at least in my case, the problem seems to have been with the ripping drive. If you have a second drive, try switching and see if that helps.

elgibby

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Go Red Sox
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2002, 08:46:46 am »

ph4824:

Well duh maybe I should have read the end of your post? You have other drives and you've tried them.

Hope other replies will help ....

Libsong

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2002, 01:26:17 pm »

This is sad but it's true.  In fact I just posted this problem (See Noise/Sounds).  I have the same problem when I burn a CD I get these weird sound mix in with my music.  I had this kind of problem before from the old version of MJ but it went away after I turned off all the sounds in my PC (internet, windows, aim, etc.)  The new version 8.0 was working fine then suddenly it just start recording these sounds from out of nowhere.  And now nothing seems to get rid of it.  I have a very old PC, AMD 233 but I don't think it's the PC.

Anybody, please help us...........

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2002, 01:40:33 pm »

Libsong,

In your case it probably is a driver/soundcard/cpu issue. See the checklist in my first post. Some weird interaction. AMD's version of MMX instructions may have been non-standard then. Is the CD-ROM as old as the processor? Are you doing digital or analog rips? So many questions.

I just don't know.

Xenno
Pages: [1]   Go Up