INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sync data problems with iPod  (Read 2392 times)

lOth

• Citizen of the Universe
sync data problems with iPod
« on: April 11, 2005, 01:51:11 am »

using 11.0.234 here and I have two problems with the 'sync data' option.

The first one you already know of: auto sync won't sync data.

The second one is more serious since it screwed most of my playcount. Here's what happens. When you retag a file that's been played at least once in MC and then sync with the iPod, the playcount is incremented on the iPod. After that, as long as you don't close MC each time it is 'syncing portable info with MC', the playcount in MC is in turn incremented by the playcount on the iPod. Here's an example:

Track X played twice in MC and retagged (let's say you change the rating)
Track y played once in MC and retagged
Track Z played three times in MC but not retagged

After a manual sync here's what you have on the iPod:

Track X, playcount = 2
Track Y, playcount = 1
Track Z, playcount = 0

If you sync manually again, here's what you have in MC:

Track X, playcount = 4
Track Y, playcount = 2
Track Z, playcount = 3

Nothing changes on the iPod.

Retag track X again. Manual sync. Here's what you have next.

In MC:

Track X, playcount = 8
Track Y, playcount = 2
Track Z, playcount = 3

On the iPod:

X= 8
Y= 2
Z= 0

The playcount will keep increasing this way on each sync (actually, it seems you don't even need to sync: it appears to happen each time the 'syncing portable info to MC' message appears). If you close MC, run MC and sync, this won't happen again. But in the meantime, a track I played twice in MC and retagged twice, now shows that it's been played 48 times after just a few syncs...

Sorry for the long post, but I don't know how to better describe what's happening here.

lOth

Re: sync data problems with iPod
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 06:11:40 pm »

still the same behavior with build 11.0.235

SteveG

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 03:24:37 pm »

The way to solve this is for me to not transfer the playcount data to the iPod when the file is tranfserred. I will do this. The playcount that MC will show on the iPod will be the number of times the file has been played on iPod. After a sync to MC, this number will be reset to 0.

Steve

lOth

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 04:29:25 pm »

sounds like a good solution: personnally, I really don't mind if the playcount (and 'last played' too for that matter) is reset on the iPod with each sync. What matters to me is that the playcount in MC displays accurately how many times a song's been played both on the iPod and within MC.

While we're talking sync data, is there anything that can be done about the 'one hour gap' between songs that are played on the iPod and within MC? I'm talking about the fact that a song you just played on the iPod will appear (after sync) in MC as being played one hour in the future ("-1:00:00 ago").

SteveG

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 04:32:26 pm »

I will look at this. Probably a DST issue.

Steve

SteveG

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005, 05:30:30 pm »

Confirmed. DST issue. It is fixed and will be in whatever is built tomorrow.

Steve

gakselso

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2005, 11:44:20 pm »

On the topic of playcounts, it's nice to see that the issue was fixed but is it possible to upload the full playcount to the ipod and only update MC with a delta if the ipod count is higher than MCs when a sync is performed?  ie trackX=5 and upon sync ipod trackX=6 so update MC to 6.  You could get fancy and add a field so MC knows the value at last sync, but let's not get silly.

I'm just thinking that zeroing the playcounts on the ipod might fiddle with whatever snazzy algo Apple came up with for their random play.    I guess all things being equal the ratings are good, but the playcounts might come into it.

I've also got a question about Ratings.  When I change the ratings on my ipod and the update syncs into MC it seems like the actual MP3 file on my harddrive is also touched.  Any reason?  I haven't confirmed anything, but when I update a star-rating I see the track get deleted and re-uploaded to the ipod; I also see the MP3 get added to my backup list on my sporadic MP3 backups to DVD, even though nothing should've changed with the file itself.

Great product.

SteveG

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2005, 08:20:29 am »

is it possible to upload the full playcount to the ipod and only update MC with a delta if the ipod count is higher than MCs when a sync is performed?

Currently MC will only be updated if the playcount is nonzero on the iPod and the option to 'Sync data to PC' is checked. What you ask for can be added but not immediately.

When I change the ratings on my ipod and the update syncs into MC it seems like the actual MP3 file on my harddrive is also touched.

If you have the MC option to update tags in files checked, what you are describing will happen because MC's database updates with the changed ratings from iPod and then the changes are written to the files.

but when I update a star-rating I see the track get deleted and re-uploaded to the ipod;

If you change the rating on a track in iPod and you sync, MC will send the new file to replace the one on iPod with the 'old' rating.

gakselso

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2005, 01:19:43 pm »

I don't even know if it's necessary to keep the ipod's playcounts accurate, but it might be a nice-to-have if their "random" algorithm takes that into account.  It seems to be fairly clever...

I didn't realize that the stars impacted the actual MP3 file.  I'll do some more research on the board before commenting further...

Is it necessary to replace the track or could the iPod's database be "quietly" updated?  Let me answer my own question: I suppose since the actual file is being changed it becomes necessary to sync down to the 'pod.  Interesting side effect.  I only asked in the first place because I'd been away for a few days and rated about 150 songs on the iPod... that first sync was a bit of a shocker!  It didn't take very long to complete, though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up