INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media server question  (Read 685 times)

peterb

• Recent member
  • don't eat that yellow snow
Media server question
« on: October 17, 2002, 08:35:50 am »

Is there any way to connect to Media Server and listen to exactly the same thing thats playing on the server? So that the server and clients could be synchronized if you have several clients in a house?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Media server question
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2002, 09:12:39 am »

It is on our list to do some day but no, it doesn't work that way right now.

peterb

• Recent member
  • don't eat that yellow snow
Re: Media server question
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2002, 11:49:28 am »

I found a small program called Vypress Tonecast at http://www.vypress.com that did the trick. I've just tried the demo and it seems to work fine. It consists of a server that broadcasts from one computer to all of my local network, and a client part that can receive the broadcasts and play them. By setting it to broadcast the WAV output from my MJ computer I can use MJ and broadcast to several clients. Only problem is that the delay between the server and client is about 2 seconds so that might be disturbing if playing in adjacent rooms. Maybe that could be solved. Perhaps by playing from a separate server, or by somehow mapping the MJ output to a device that's not heard and then broadcast that device and use the client on the broadcasting computer as well.

It still would be nicer to do this with MJ directly. I've only tried MJ for a few days but I really like it.

What I wan't to do is to have three zones in my home. Each zone should have a small PC with MJ and be connected to a WLAN. Each MJ PC are connected to separate amps/speakers. Then I should be able to have my entire music-collection on HD and listen to anything in any zone or the same thing in all zones. Sounds nice, doesn't it?

I also want to be able to control this only with either a remote control or a wall control (VFD-display+keyboard). I've ordered a Matrix Orbital VFD and IRman to start experimenting with this. It'll be tricky to make a UI that will be easy to use for all of the family but I think it is possible even if it will take some time. But I'm not in a hurry. Any tips & trick on this will be appreciated.

I'll start by building a single MJ WS and import most of my CD:s. I've only tried about 30 CD:s yet but it works great. The parts for the decicated MJ WS will arrive next week so I hope to have that finished until my big Hallowen party in two weeks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up