INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 computers 1 ipod sync question  (Read 2248 times)

ddaro

• Recent member
2 computers 1 ipod sync question
« on: April 14, 2005, 06:51:54 pm »

Is it possible to copy playlists from the iPod to MC11 or is there a file(s) that I can copy from one install of MC11 to another install of MC11 to move smartlists/playlists between two machines?

Here is my problem... I'm trying to coordinate 2 computers and 1 iPod. Both machines are running 11.0.234. One computer is at home and contains all my mp3 files, it is my 'master' install of MC11. The second computer is at work. This machine does not have any mp3 files at all.

All I am trying to accomplish is to use MC11 at work to interface with my iPod from my desktop,  keep the Last Play date in sync while preserving the smartlists/playlists on my iPod.

As I understand it, to update the Last Play date on my iPod from MC11 I need to do a sync. When I do a sync at work to update the Last Play date on the iPod it will replace the playlists/smartlists on my iPod with smartlists/playlists defined in MC11. I did read "Added a check box option to opt out of sending playlist info on sync to portables for players that are very slow in doing this." but I have yet to find that option.

When I connect the iPod to my machine at home and sync it, the reverse happens. The playlists/smartlists on my iPod are replaced by those defined in MC11 on my home machine.

Consequently the playlists/smartlists on my iPod are always changing, depending upon where I last did a sync. It would seem I have to manually manage my playlists/smartlists on both machines keeping them identical in order to keep things consistent on my iPod.

Is the above is normally behavior or am I going about this all wrong?  Any help is appreciated.

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: 2 computers 1 ipod sync question
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 09:32:00 am »

All I am trying to accomplish is to use MC11 at work to interface with my iPod from my desktop,  keep the Last Play date in sync while preserving the smartlists/playlists on my iPod.

Why? If all of your mp3 files are at home, what are you trying to accomplish at work?

Steve

ddaro

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 06:33:13 pm »

sorry guess I wasn't clear. I only mentioned that my home machine has my mp3 in case that would matter.

All I am trying to do is use an install of MC11 at work to interface with the music on my iPod and keep the Last Play date in sync on the iPod. And then when I get home sync again and have the Last Play date upadated on my home install of MC11.

I must be going about this all wrong because I would think this would be pretty simple but I am not having much luck. Tonight when I sync'd my iPod at work, it blew away the playlists/smartlists on my iPod.

SteveG

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2005, 06:12:00 pm »

ddaro,

All I am trying to do is use an install of MC11 at work to interface with the music on my iPod

Why? What are you trying to accomplish?

I need to try to understand the reason for what you are doing so I can give good advice and I am not following what you are trying to gain by accessing the iPod at work on a computer that does not have your files.

Steve

ddaro

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 09:50:49 pm »

I've been away, sorry for not getting to the post sooner. Thanks for the reply.

The only reason for using MC11 to access my iPod at work is convenience. Its simply much more convenient for me to access my iPod from my desktop. I'm on a computer all day, my nose is glued to my monitor and fingers to the keyboard. If I want to adjust the volume or skip a song I can accomplish that with a few clicks using MC11 rather than having to turn and reach for the iPod. FYI.. after several near misses the iPod now sits in the far corner of my desk to avoid coffee spills etc.

I had been using a winamp plugin to control the iPod but it would crash  and cause other grief. I thought MC11 might work out.

SteveG

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2005, 01:23:47 pm »

ddaro,

Thanks for the clarification. There is not a way to do what you want. The last played date info gets updated internally on the iPod by the iPod firmware when iPod is disconnected from your PC  and then moved from iPod to PC if you elect that option.

Steve

ddaro

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 09:21:14 am »

ok, thanks for trying Steve... appreciate it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up