INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sorting presets etc.  (Read 1475 times)

PushiTooL

• Junior Woodchuck
Sorting presets etc.
« on: April 05, 2005, 11:39:02 am »

Is it just me or do the sorting presets not work in MC11? All my playlists from v10 are screwed because the presets are changed and no matter how I edit them (add, remove, load, save) they don't change (in practise). The only way I can actually re-sort my playlists is by right-clicking on the column headers. Even then, I have no way to save the presets and load them in another playlist. And where did Remove Order go?

In the past, when a new version of MJ/MC arrived the changes were such that I could fool around to the point where I could sort my playlists the way I liked them. But in the current state of MC11, I see no way that it'll be possible..

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Sorting presets etc.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 01:13:00 pm »

I don't think there's a radical change between MC10 and MC11 on this.

You could right click on Media Library to return to defaults, and then start over.

PushiTooL

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 04:29:25 am »

What has changed is:

11.0.149 (12/14/04)

2. Changed: Removed "Show Order" / "Remove Order" option from playlists -- all playlists are ordered now.

Not sure if it's a byproduct of that change, but playlist sorting doesn't seem to work too well at the moment. Try this in any playlist:

Customize Current View... > Sorting

and fiddle around with that as you will.. whether it be adding fields to sort or loading a preset, it doesn't actually change the sorting of the playlist. The only way I can currently alter the way playlists are sorted is to click on the column headers and Update Order.

PushiTooL

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 10:33:02 am »

Can someone please reply on this issue. It appears to me to be a fairly big bug at the moment. Playlist sorting within Customize Current View simply doesn't work. Along with the loss of 'Remove Order', programmed playlist sorting within MC11 is seemingly impossible. Am I wrong?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 10:36:59 am »

Sort a playlist how you want and then do: Right-click > Update Order...
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

PushiTooL

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 11:43:42 am »

Yeah, and that's the only way to do it. A method which has many flaws:

a) Every field you wish to sort by must be currently showing, otherwise it's just a pain to add the columns and remove again
b) You need to do it for each and every playlist, individually, rather than simply loading a preset
c) The sorting doesn't stay permanent. In other words, add files to a playlist and they simply add onto the end, rather than amongst the playlist where they ought to be
d) For the Recently Imported playlist, which is constantly emptied, sorting goes completely out the window. It simply just sorts by some default method each time (which is Date Imported i think). This makes it very annoying to do something as simple as Fill Track Numbers From List Order, for it means adding columns, that you don't particularly want, every time.

Because of these disadvantages, the Remove Order option and more importantly the Sorting Presets were designed. Now, in MC11, the former is gone and the latter appears to be disfunctional.

PushiTooL

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2005, 02:50:37 am »

Thanks for the reply, Marko. I've pretty much resolved my issues. I converted a few playlists to smartlists and the presets worked fine on them. I think the answer is in the sequence columns. Playlists/smartlists without them will sort to your heart's content, those with them won't.

Also, yes I'm now using a smartlist based on 'Date Imported' rather than the 'Recently Imported' playlist. Thanks for the reminder, Marko. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up