INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theatre view - Plimp new design suggestions  (Read 2009 times)

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
Theatre view - Plimp new design suggestions
« on: April 15, 2005, 03:05:16 pm »

I want to make a plimp theatre view + matching track info. By plimp I mean something that would both look absolutely hawesome and be very user friendly.

I'd like to go with something with a dark (if not black) background and bright colored text/grahpics. I want it to be extremely eyecandy.

Here's something I was working on for another project that I believe could have some potentials:

This could work nicely in different color themes...

So what I'd like to do before I start working on this is get feedbacks from all of you on:
- Overall visual style you'd think would be just plain "plimp"
- Websites/Graphics that could be a great source of inspiration for this theatre view. (i.e. http://www.xanthic.net/)
- What features you'd like to see in the track info. Just to let you know, i'd like to go with something along the lines of this following one I worked on in the past: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=23923.0
- Whatever you might think could be usefull.

Let's have fun with this project :D

- Cas

Mr Morkey

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Re: Theatre view - Plimp new design suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2005, 06:07:26 am »

At last! Good man!

Your mockup looks pretty decent as it is..

I wonder if it might be a sensible idea to have the main menu options locked and thus directly accessible from any point in the system? As it currently stands, theatre view takes an awful lot of click throughs to get to where you want and then even more to get back... Also, be sure to make the currently playing track information visible from every page - not just 'playing now'!!

How about having a section of the screen showing some playlist stuff - name of playlist, playing now, played last, playing next? Sod the visualisations - if you want to see them then skip to full screen view where they can be properly appreciated.

No-one has made a brushed steel theatre vew interface yet either (just my preference). They always look suitably 'plimp' though...

The one thing that theatre view could absolutely do with though - movement! And by that I don't mean some half baked visualisation cooking away in the corner but proper menu transitions, icon rollovers etc. Flash maybe? Look to MCE for inspiration i guess - despite it's many faults, for UI flashiness, it is certainly impressive. Sort that out and most of my issues with theatre view will be solved in one fell swoop.

In track info, just the cover art, artist, title, album - maybe the year? if it uses a track info template then users could just edit their own preference I suppose. An automatic link to some artist info (from allmusic or something) would be pretty cool though - would become a bit of a talking point at parties I reckon. Winamp did something similar I seem to recall...

What else? Sorry - this seems to be very 'functionality' based, which I'm sure you didn't actually ask for.. How about incorporating a means of accessing internet radio?

Anyway, can't wat to see what you come up with,
Mr Morkey.

HCI - Bringing monkey social science to annoy I.T developers since 1945

zeltak

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 03:13:38 pm »

as always great work cascius!!! i love blue type colors but anything you will do im sure ill love!!

cant wait for the final product!!!

zeltak

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 03:32:13 pm »

Thanks for the support guys. It's greatly appreciated. :D

I looked at the xml file and it seems there's not much options as far as what can be done. What I mean by the is that I'll be able to use my own graphics, layout and color scheme; but I won't be able to modify the way the content itself. This is what i gathered from just reading though the 1 xml file that comes with each skin. Anyway, I still think I'll be able to come up something cool.

So here's something for you to thing of:
What kind of content would you like to see in the playing now's info track" area? I don't think this will be scrollable using a remote control nor will you be able to click buttons, etc... Therefore someting along the lines of the sliver one i posted earlier would work best. Any thoughts on it?

Thanks,

-Cas

zeltak

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 12:34:55 am »

Hi cascius!

for me i would love to see in the playing now info track the following stuff:

track name,number,album name, album year,band name ,current playing time and time left and if possible a window for lyrics.

but really anything will do  ;D  as for now there is no real track info for theatre view  :)

zeltak

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2005, 02:48:21 am »

any progress there cascius? i really cant wait for this new skin  :) ;D

thx again for your effort!

Zeltak
Pages: [1]   Go Up