INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Can't Install / Upgrade w/out Internet Connection"  (Read 2438 times)

ja

• Recent member
  • Opinion? I Got One!
"Can't Install / Upgrade w/out Internet Connection"
« on: April 15, 2005, 03:36:24 pm »

When I tried to uprgrade my system without internet access from ver 11.0.201 to ver 11.0.234 I but got the following error:

"Failed to download from http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/redirects/MC/v11/redirect.pl?type=WMFInstaller95&prodname-Media Center&version= Server returned: 0 Can not continue with Media Center installation.

Naturally clicking OK simply quits the install.  So I tried ver 11.0.225, same thing!

I uninstalled 11.0.201 and tried reinstalling.  I got the error again for ver 234 & 225, but the original version that I started with, 201, installed fine.

So what's the story?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: SPYWARE? or "Can't Install / Upgrade w/out Internet Connection"
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 03:39:43 pm »

Please see the MC11 instructions.  It includes a link to a thread on WM install.  That's the problem you're having.

ja

• Recent member
  • Opinion? I Got One!
Re: "Can't Install / Upgrade w/out Internet Connection"
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 03:13:11 pm »

Thanks for the response Jim, but as usual, I am unable to find the info you refer to :-(

I'm not sure what the "WM" means in your post (possibly Windows Media?).  I couldn't find a link to anything called WM or anything that looks like WM might be short for on the Instruction thread.  I did find a few links to various install problems, and they led me to a few others.  None of these are likely to apply to me.

1) WindowXP SP2 creating problems... I don't have SP2 installed on that machine.

2) Not having Classic View selected.. I always use Classic View.

3) Disable Anti-Virus / Spyware... I have no AV (No internet connection), but I do have an old install of Spybot.  I'll try disabling it.

What seems odd to me is why 201 installs, but the newer versions I have wont. Clearly the install program is trying to get online, but why?  And why doesn't 201?

What is WM?

thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 03:15:43 pm »

WM is Windows Media (not WMP or Windows Media Player).

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=26428.0

ja

• Recent member
  • Opinion? I Got One!
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 03:32:03 pm »

Wow, now that's service.

I've downloaded the WM and will install, reluctantly.

I am currently only using MC to play MP3s.  So like many in that thread, I too would like the option to NOT load special codecs until I need them, especially from Microsoft.  But I saw the official jR position there, so I wont belabor the point.

Thanks for the link.
Pages: [1]   Go Up