INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Error installing Media Jukebox license"  (Read 1777 times)

hyslopc

"Error installing Media Jukebox license"
« on: October 16, 2002, 12:11:19 am »

OK at home I have my media server and my laptop, both have had MJ installed for ages, except that my laptop has always had a beta version that wasn't 100% stable and couldn't seem to automatically update itself.  So finally I decide to do something about it, and I manually install the latest 8.387 release over the top of my existing install - worked fine, or so I thought, since today when I try and click on a streaming link on the web, MJ says something about no licence, etc, click OK to restore your licence.

So I click OK, get asked for my registration key, enter it, and then MJ comes up and says "Error installing Media Jukebox license: Failed opening license file."  I click OK, then figure I better come here and post about this, since I don't know what to do.  Then I realize I better have the exact text of the error, so I hit back in my browser, IE says "page expired", I hit F5, get the same message in MJ again, leave it on-screen, come here to try and post on this forum, can't login, re-register, go to email to get my password, ACK!  "You have been charged one restore"  TWICE!  Okay, I understand how this happened, but it's irritating, especially since the only reason I had to do a restore was because MJ couldn't update itself.

Now I went and checked the FAQ and "charged one restore" sounds a bit scarier than it really is - ten free per year!  No problem.

So getting back to the real issue at hand - how do I fix this "failed opening license file" issue?  I searched here already, but no mention of it.

Scronch

• Galactic Citizen
Re: "Error installing Media Jukebox license"
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2002, 01:05:09 am »

I guess I agree that "You have been charged one restore"  sounds a little scary to someone who isn't familiar with the policy.  Maybe JRiver could re-phrase it, or add more commentary to explain what's going on.

Scronch

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2002, 08:11:56 am »

hyslopc - use Internet Explorer, and if it still doesn't work, right click and save the license file and then double click on the file to install it.

j

Scronch

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2002, 05:28:31 pm »

That warning message is still pretty terse.  I wonder if King has one that says, "You've been gonkulated, ----er!" ?

Scronch

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2002, 05:58:37 pm »

Hi Scronch, if you mean the warning about "charged one restore", I'll change it soon.  It confused enough people.

j

Scronch

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2002, 06:12:05 pm »

Yes, I believe that's the warning hyslopic was talking about.

Very often, someone complains about something here on the forum, and the reply, over and over, says "Go read the FAQ".  Could you provide a link to the FAQ in all the warning messages?  Maybe even provide a link to the right part of the FAQ (context-sensitive help)?  For example, the "restore charging" warning could say that more information is available at http://www.musicex.com/mediajukebox/buy_faq_8.html.  I realize that this begins to tie the website "Help" into the product, and therefore you'd have to actively support the website Help, but that's not a bad thing.  Obviously, in MJ, you'd define a variable for the web page high-level location, e.g. http://www.musicex.com, so that if you move stuff, you just have to change one thing in MJ, not every darn warning or error message.  I know, I'm preaching to the choir...

Scronch

hyslopc

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2002, 08:53:57 pm »

hyslopc - use Internet Explorer

That's the only browser I ever use (life's too short).

and if it still doesn't work, right click and save the license file and then double click on the file to install it.

I tried just double-clicking on the attachment to the mail, and that worked fine!  I don't understand why, but I'm glad it works - thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up