INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 11 & iPod - STATUS ?  (Read 1803 times)

bobrock

• Recent member
MC 11 & iPod - STATUS ?
« on: April 26, 2005, 03:47:10 am »

A while ago I was using MC. Than I got frustrated over the way MC 10 never ever solved handling of iPod.

Now I don't have that much time to test MC 11, but I do think about buying a license .

Could you answer me briefly what has changed regarding ipod support in MC 11 comparing to MC 10 ?

1. Suport for iPod style Dynamic Smart Lists ?
2. Can I use BOTH (MC11 & iTunes) ?
3. Do I need to specialy initialize/format ipod to work with MC11 (that was the case in MC10)

4. Whatever that I have not asked and it's worth to mention/explain...

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I understand MC is product for computer geeks but please think of to create at least detaild feature list for initial release of MC11. searching/browsing forum is very unconvinient way to find out what your product can offer.

Rgds

Bob

lOth

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC 11 & iPod - STATUS ?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 07:00:00 am »

I've been testing how MC11 and the iPod work together lately and in my experience:

1. MC can transfer smartlists to the iPod. For instance, if you have a smartlist that retrieves the 25 most played tracks in your library, it will be updated on your iPod each time you synchronize it.

2. Yes, but I don't think it's recommended.

3. Yes. But as I just said, it won't prevent you from you using iTunes if you still want to.

4. As compared to MC 10, MC11 has introduced some pretty neat features for iPod management. I think the best improvement is the auto-sync function. I can now just plug-in my iPod and wait for MC to synchronize with the smartlists I have set up once and for all. Except for the fact that you have to have MC started before you can plug-in your iPod for a sync, it's now as easy and transparent than iTunes. Other improvement: MC11 can now handle several iPods individually, each one with its own sync list.

bobrock

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 07:46:30 am »

I've been testing how MC11 and the iPod work together lately and in my experience:

1. MC can transfer smartlists to the iPod. For instance, if you have a smartlist that retrieves the 25 most played tracks in your library, it will be updated on your iPod each time you synchronize it.

Does it support DYNAMIC smart lists as iTunes does based on data from ipod database ?

In other words let's say Top 25 Most Played is an example of a Dynamic Smart List on iPod. In the past MC10 was unable to synchronize those lists and it overwrites and DESTROY all of dynamic smart lists on iPod!

lOth

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 08:10:29 am »

I'm not sure what you call a dynamic smartlist. In an MC context, so to speak, a smartlist is dynamic by nature.

MC 11 has a 'sync data' option (it sync 'last played' and 'number of plays' with the iPod. If you use that option, here's what will happen in your example.

Let's say you create a 'Top 25 Most Played' smartlist in MC. You synchronize that playlist with iPod. You play some of the songs in that smartlist on your iPod. Please note first that the playlist is not dynamic on the iPod, i.e. you can play a tune as much as you want, it will always remain at the same place in your iPod 'Top 25 Most Played' playlist. That is, until you sync with MC. When you do this (provided you've selected the 'sync data' option), your playcount is updated in MC, and thus, your 'Top 25 Most Played' is updated as well (since it's dynamic). It is then (during the same sync) re-transfered in its new state to the iPod.

In a way, MC still overwrite and destroys these 'smartlists' on the iPod, but the process is transparent and the result accurate.

What I'm not sure about is what happens if you play a file several times on the iPod. I seem to remember that I read somewhere that the Ipod didn't keep an actual playcount, just the last played info. I'll try to play a file twice, sync with MC and see if the playcount in MC is accurate afterwards. I'll keep you posted.

bobrock

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 08:48:20 am »

I'm not sure what you call a dynamic smartlist. In an MC context, so to speak, a smartlist is dynamic by nature.

MC 11 has a 'sync data' option (it sync 'last played' and 'number of plays' with the iPod. If you use that option, here's what will happen in your example.

Let's say you create a 'Top 25 Most Played' smartlist in MC. You synchronize that playlist with iPod. You play some of the songs in that smartlist on your iPod. Please note first that the playlist is not dynamic on the iPod, i.e. you can play a tune as much as you want, it will always remain at the same place in your iPod 'Top 25 Most Played' playlist.

And that is just one of the problems. Dynamic Smart Lists created by iTunes ARE DYNAMIC on iPod ...

lOth

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 11:25:48 am »

I see. In this case, no, the playlists MC transfers to the iPod aren't dynamic.

I guess it doesn't matter much to me because I sync daily. Also, I think the iPod can handle the limited complexity of the dynamic playlists created with iTunes but I doubt it could deal with the sophisticated queries of some of my smartlists in MC (the limitations of itunes in that respect partly motivated me to shift back to MC).

I mean, I wouldn't say no if it could be implemented in MC but I guess it's not critical to me because I can wait to be home to see what the new Top 25 looks like.

SteveG

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005, 03:22:00 pm »

IOth,

Thanks for your responses. 

What I'm not sure about is what happens if you play a file several times on the iPod.

If you play a files several times and you have 'sync data to PC' enabled, this data will be updated in MC. E.G. if you play a file 5 times on iPod, 5 additional playcounts will be added to what is in MC.

bobrock,

IOth is correct. We do not support dynamic playlists in 'iTunes speak' at this time. We may add it in the future.

Steve

dynamic

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005, 09:41:33 pm »

this would be great...i've been waiting.
hopefully this could be included soon.  Very Soon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up