INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Prompt on delete from media library?  (Read 2080 times)

doradasoftware

Prompt on delete from media library?
« on: April 28, 2005, 01:27:32 am »

Hi All,

My name is Daniel and i'm the author of a podcasting client - RSSRadio. I've had a request from one of my users to interface RSSRadio with Media Center. I have an extensive plugin / automation architecture so this is pretty easy.

I've had a look at the OLE automation SDK and have everything working except one wrinkle. I would like to have RSSRadio be able to remove Podcasts from Media Center - to do this i am using the MJFileAutomation.DeleteFile() method.

Unfortunately when i do this MediaCenter prompts the user on what to do with the file - remove from media libary, send to trash, delete permanantly....

Is there a better way or a way to turn off this prompt?

Thanks,

Daniel
RSSRadio - http://www.dorada.co.uk

BlueGlow

• Galactic Citizen
  • Absence of alternatives clears the mind nicely.
Re: Prompt on delete from media library?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 03:35:22 pm »

bump

doradasoftware

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 04:16:26 pm »

Quite.

Do these guys have a support email? i've got paying customers of both our products who want help here.

Daniel.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 04:41:19 pm »

Currently IMJFileAutomation::Delete(...) will always show a confirmation dialog.  However, it may not be unreasonable for a user to see those choices when removing podcasts.

Perhaps we could add a DeleteFileEx(...) type function in a coming version.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

BlueGlow

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 12:28:37 am »

Currently IMJFileAutomation::Delete(...) will always show a confirmation dialog.  However, it may not be unreasonable for a user to see those choices when removing podcasts.

Perhaps we could add a DeleteFileEx(...) type function in a coming version.

Thanks.
Thanks for replying to Daniel, Matt. I use another app for podcasts, but the issues are the same.
It's doesn't make sense for a user to be asked for confirmation to delete podcasts. A good podcast retrieval system works like Tivo, old things are deleted automatically unless you mark them to be saved. One podcast feed I subscribe to has dozens of short new items every day. I only save 10 at a time, so many are deleted every day.
Thanks,
  bg

doradasoftware

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 06:44:42 am »

I got round this a slightly different way in the end.

RSSRadio moves "listened" podcasts to a "Deleted Podcasts" playlist - so the user can delete them manually if they like. Once the number of mp3's exceeds the users set threshold it just deletes the files, orphaning the Media Center item.

Its not ideal but i think it works ok under the circumstances.

Daniel.

BlueGlow

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 12:03:04 pm »

Hi Daniel,
That's a pretty good workaround under the circumstances. If the current build of MC will skip missing files when syncing to a portable, it might be a good option to move them to the playlists and delete/orphan them right away.

bg

bitmason

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2005, 04:04:57 pm »

>RSSRadio moves "listened" podcasts to a "Deleted Podcasts" playlist - so the user can delete them manually if they like. Once the number of mp3's exceeds the users set threshold it just deletes the files, orphaning the Media Center item.

I agree that orphaning files isn't ideal, but I actually like moving to the "Deleted Podcasts" playlist rather than actually deleting them. I've got enough disk space that I don't feel a pressing need to micromanage the disk space. I think the case with a Tivo is a bit different where it's basically always "full" and therefore constantly needs to be deleting older stuff unless not specifically flagged for saving.

Gordon
Pages: [1]   Go Up