INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why use CUE?  (Read 1260 times)

lise

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Why use CUE?
« on: April 29, 2005, 09:37:51 am »

I need examples of use: why would someone want to record in a single large file instead of individual files?

I can see using this for ripping an interview, for example. Or perhaps classical music; where you want the entire piece to stay together, silences and all.

Is this the type of thing it's used for? Are there other examples?

A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

Fex

• World Citizen
Re: Why use CUE?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 11:38:22 am »

Yes, that's it. And don't forget live music.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 11:57:43 am »

It's used in any music where you dont want to hear any interuptions.

What interruptions ?

It's used mostly with mp3s as most  ie all players can't play them gaplessly. SO there is a slight pop when the next track comes on. The way around this is to rip the whole CD as one track therby ensuring that even the most basic of mp3 players will play them as they were meant to be heard ie gaplessly. Not all players can understand cue files, but at least they can play the mp3 perfectly.

I use them mostly with dance music where there is a DJ that mixes.

You do not have this issue with APE files as they can do gapless play even if the tracks are split up.

Mp3 is the grand daddy standard out there, most of my music is mp3. Hence the reason for cue :)

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 12:16:55 pm »

Ok. Now forgive my ignorance here, but is cue a specific format or something? I mean, when I go ahead and rip my album as one full mp3, the format is still mp3, right?

Just trying to understand hit_ny's comment:

"Not all players can understand cue files, but at least they can play the mp3 perfectly."

A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 12:23:03 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up