INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will Media Center Have Tabs ?  (Read 2353 times)

Pink Waters

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Finally I understand the feelings of the few
Will Media Center Have Tabs ?
« on: May 03, 2005, 04:42:32 am »

I think that media center now does not need to have a tree view because of the action window and other views properties.
i think replacing the tree with t tabs system would be very great and will make different and good looking usage way and comfortable for sure

will j.river will include this great feature ?
Tamer

pank2002

Re: Will Media Center Have Tabs ?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 08:58:08 am »

I like tabs in firefox, but in MC ?

Do you think of it as in f2k? I don't like f2k's tab feature, but you may think of something els. Would you care to elaborate.
Music is life... the rest is details.
Here is a security related website: secubi.dk

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 01:17:43 pm »

The Tree View is my primary way of navigating my Library.  I don't like the "Panes View" that you probably use.  Just because you don't use something, doesn't mean it's not useful!  ;)
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Rob L

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 01:26:27 pm »

I'm certainly having trouble envisaging how anything could be a good replacement for the tree view - perhaps more explanation would help??

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 02:14:44 pm »

Effectively there are tabs already of a sort, the five buttons
in the top right hand corner which automatically filter the media into different types, I can't see where you could go from there.

I've never been a huge tab person, when Firefox came along people acted like it was the answer to the worlds problems....
I still can't help wonder whats wrong with the taskbar which is one big tab bar!
(OK I have a decent res screen) :-)

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 04:33:22 pm »

Hi folks,

This thread reminds me of some ideas by Sam about 2 years ago to replace MC tree view by a tab view.
The old thread include some screenshots : http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=18037.0

Is this what you're thinking about ?

Ciao,

Christian
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

Mike Noe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005, 05:40:08 pm »

...does not need to have a tree view because of the action window...

I totally disagree.  Just two quick examples:  1.  Using a scroll wheel with a tree view can be very efficient for ad hoc searchs.  2.  My wife and neighbors love the tree view for navigation.  Some people really have a hard time moving their eyes from location to location.  Clicking in the tree and drilling down allows these folks to keep their eyes in one location and then when they find what they're looking for, they're ready to move their eyes again.  I know that sounds esoteric, but I've seen it many times.

...and will make different and good looking...

IMO, these are not good enough reasons to dump the tree view for some trumped up tab view mechanism.  Give me some examples to think otherwise.

will j.river will include this great feature ?

At the risk of being cliche, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, in other words, the "greatness" of tabbed interfaces, IMO, is subjective.  I believe there is a place for tabs in certain applications, but in the case of MC, not at the expense of the tree view or the panes.

Please don't take my reponse the wrong way, I'm not intending to nit-pick your choice of words. 
openSUSE TW/Plasma5 x86_64 | Win10Pro/RX560
S.M.S.L USB-DAC => Transcendent GG Pre (kit) => Transcendent mono OTLs (kit)
(heavily modded) Hammer Dynamics Super-12s (kit)
(optionally) VonSchweikert VR8s

Rob L

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2005, 05:51:05 pm »

I still don't see how tabs can have any relation to the tree.

How many items of information are represented at any one level of the tree? Far more than you'd ever want to present as tabs.

The tree also obviously has loads of different levels - how would that translate into tabs?

LonWar

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005, 07:27:56 am »

Hi folks,

This thread reminds me of some ideas by Sam about 2 years ago to replace MC tree view by a tab view.
The old thread include some screenshots : http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=18037.0

Is this what you're thinking about ?

Ciao,

Christian

I remember that.... That guy was quite the designer.
-

EpF

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2005, 08:10:38 am »

I think that media center now does not need to have a tree view because of the action window and other views properties.

Would have to disagree with the idea of replacing the tree-view with tabs.  The major advantage of the tree-view is being able to see all of your schemes at once; keeping them in view and being able to flick between locations visually.  I have 75 view-schemes, all of them custom defined; tabbed viewing would be a nightmare, and I'd end up having a huge list of favourites, just so I could see all the choices at once!

i think replacing the tree with t tabs system would be very great and will make different and good looking usage way and comfortable for sure

If you're concerned with the look of the program, have you checked out the 'Auba' skin?  Obviously it's not tabs, but it's a change from the 'Windows Explorer' model of the folder-tree and results-pane in other skins.

Finally, there already IS a tab system in MC11 - the Library Browser!  I know the locations are not customizable, (for now), but, together with the media-modes, it's a fairly nifty interface for basic browsing...

Pink Waters

• Finally I understand the feelings of the few
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2005, 08:13:10 am »

sound nice ::)
Tamer

Pages: [1]   Go Up