INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using MC to back-up audio files to DVD  (Read 1182 times)

iCamp

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Using MC to back-up audio files to DVD
« on: May 03, 2005, 11:54:01 pm »

I just realized I can use MC to write my gigabytes of music to DVD as a data disc.  On the surface it appears to be an easy method for backing up my valuable music collection.  I'm curious if anyone else uses MC to back up their music and if so, can you share any tips?  How do you keep track of where you leave off?  Are there smart lists that can help generate a DVD-sized chunk?  Is there any way to catalog which disc has which files?

Additionally, I'd like to know what other software you all use to back up your music data (in the event you don't use MC).

Thanks!

modelmaker

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Using MC to back-up audio files to DVD
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 01:20:51 am »

I have 2 200gig hard drives in my case and 2 200gig USB hard drives that act as my portable/backup drives (I have MC installed on a laptop as well). I used to have a 3 HD backup redundancy, but outgrew the drives, I will be getting another 400g to get back the redundancy.

I use "Karens Tools" Replicator to back everything up on a weekly basis.

Using DVDs is certainly a feasable way to back up your data, as you have already guessed it may become a bit cumbersome keeping track of what is where. You can print out lists, or save them as documents.

Maybe someone that is using DVDs for backups will chime in.

Listening to: 'Be the One : The One/Humankind/Skates' from 'Keys to Ascension Vol 1 - (2 of 2)' by 'Yes' on Media Center 10
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

jaquestati

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 12:36:11 am »

http://www.whereisit-soft.com/

whereisit

39 dollars but worth every penny....

the same way that media center is the ONLY program that doesn't completely CHOKE on the terrabytes of files like i keep on hand.....  whereisit is the ONLY disk catalog program that doesnt choke on 1000's of dvds worth of data and is eminantly searchable (fast too) and imports all the tag info and makes that searchable

i once swore (after buying media jukebox 7 or 8 i forget which) and the next version came out less than a month after i bought it.... and i couldnt even get a DISCOUNT on the next version, that i would never buy a jriver product again...... I sent angry letters in fact even posted on my website for people not to ever buy the stinking program..... :) 

alas..... media center/jukebox IS the ONLY game in town when it comes to terrabytes of media (mp3s and apes mainly)  every other program i have ever tried just chokes and dies at the hands of my online media  :)  :(

and i begrudgedly bought media center again.......

well i bring all this up because whereisit is alot like media center in that it is THE ONLY disk cataloger that can handle a ton of disks and not choke to death.......

i just wish jriver would adopt a more reasonable upgrade price/path..... its still more than confusing..... :(

wherisit offers free lifetime upgrades....... while media center has enuf work being done/upgrades to make that not possible..... and i now accept that...... but the upgrade path is still very confusing (or missing even) from the website :( 

anyways long story short......

media center = THE ONLY media player that can handle alot of files
whereisit = THE ONLY disk cataloger that can handle alot of disks

:)

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 09:11:53 am »

Can either of you say if Where Is It? can import a catalog from Advanced Disk Catalog?

I'd like to get Where Is It? a try, but I don't want to have to 'rebuild' my catalogs from scratch (I have lots cataloged already).

Thanks.

jaquestati

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2005, 02:10:56 pm »

i don't know..... i kind of doubt it..... tho you could always email the whereisit programer on the website..... he is good at anwering those kind of questions...

having tried A D C and found it choking on the sheer volume of my disks i'd personally start switching whether you had to do em all over again or not :)  :(  (granted its been quite a while since i used a d c so maybe its improved that kind of handling in the last few years i wouldnt know :)  :(

221bBS

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 03:28:23 pm »

I would...

Create a new field..maybe call "Backup"
Select the files u want to put on your 1st disc and enter 1 in the Backup field
Burn the files to your disc and label it "Music Backup 1"
Get a RW-CD and backup your MC Database every so often

iCamp

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 05:25:56 pm »

I would...

Create a new field..maybe call "Backup"
Select the files u want to put on your 1st disc and enter 1 in the Backup field
Burn the files to your disc and label it "Music Backup 1"
Get a RW-CD and backup your MC Database every so often

That is a great idea.  I will do that for sure.
Thanks for the suggestion!
Pages: [1]   Go Up