INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: confused by startup sequence glitches  (Read 1260 times)

freeryd1

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
confused by startup sequence glitches
« on: May 08, 2005, 01:44:06 pm »

Hello devos etc.

I have MC 10.0.173 registered version.  Every time I try to open it, the following happens.  (Opening Media Center by running .exe file, no matter whether via Quick Launch or by searching hard drive for original .exe file.)

J River Popup window opens -- "If you would like to convert this trial copy into software you can keep and enjoy.....  Your 30 Day Trial Period has expired."

->Restore

->Restore license from file (.mjr)

->Select .mjr file from resident hard drive, downloaded from J River

"Confirm Action" dialog window popup.  "Your license file has expired.  Do you want to restore license by using your Registration Code?"

no matter whether you choose Yes or No button, same result.  1 or 2 seconds pass and then Media Center opens as if no problems existed with trial version or registration.

Please help me get a directly opening .exe file that bypasses the needless verification of registered vs trial and the senseless dialog boxes, etc., that follow.

System Information

Media Center Registered 10.0.173 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 2085 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 702 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2900.2627 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.050309-1648) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2900.2620 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.050225-1820) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive F: YAMAHA  CRW-F1E           Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive D: LITE-ON  DVDRW LDW-451S     Addr: 0:1:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  BurnProof:Yes
  Drive F: YAMAHA   CRW-F1E            Addr: 0:0:0  Speed:10  MaxSpeed:44  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: confused by startup sequence glitches
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 02:25:59 pm »

The install key works for 14 days.  After that you need to visit the restore page.

www.jrmediacenter.com/purchase.html has more info.

Another possibility is that the machine name is changing.

freeryd1

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 07:18:15 pm »

sorry, Jim, but the response I detailed is identical whether the install key is 14 seconds,  minutes, days or weeks old. 

what "machine name change" do you mean?  you mean my overall system settings and the name of my system?

modelmaker

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005, 10:24:34 pm »

He means, have you changed the name of the computer? Also, have you changed the date/time on your computer?
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

freeryd1

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2005, 11:21:23 pm »

aaaahhh....

yes.  I built a new machine since I paid for and registered Media Center.  I gave it a different name for the system compared to its predecessor, I'm pretty sure.

what does that mean?  what do I need to do now?

modelmaker

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 01:11:19 am »

You will have to restore the license, but I'm not sure about the procedure in your case. Is this a clean/fresh  installation of MC? Is your system clock set correctly? Have you changed your email since you first purchased MC?

If the clock is set correctly, and your email hasn't changed and you still can't restore, then it's ove my head and you'll have to wait untill someone more knowledgabl comes along or the J River office is back on line in the morning.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

freeryd1

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 10:49:08 am »

marko,

thanks for that info.  after reading the posts above yours I went and downloaded another registry key.  as I proceeded to use it, I found that the version I originally bought was Media Center 8.0 and I'd been trying to use the registry key with a newly downloaded "updated" version 10.whatever as shown in my first post.

when I tried to use the newly downloaded registry key, it said that there was incompatibility between 8.0 and 10.whatever.

I've gone back to my last download of pre-version 10.0, which is Media Center 9.1.316 and all the startup glitches have disappeared.

thanks for the sleuthing assistance everyone.

cheers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up