INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Slow ripping/encoding speed  (Read 1267 times)

Blutzski

Slow ripping/encoding speed
« on: June 15, 2005, 11:45:54 pm »

I've read a few of the posts regarding slow ripping speeds but I couldn't quite follow them and they didn't seem to come to a conclusion on what was causing the slow speeds.

Here's the deal. When I use Musicmatch or Itunes, the ripping speed is about 9x and they rip a CD in a few minutes. When I use MC on the same computer it rips at about 1.5x and it takes a few minutes to rip each song.

I've played around with all the settings in the rip options and the speed will vary a bit here and there but nothing like what I get with Musicmatch or iTunes.

Media Center 11.0.292 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1  (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium III 445 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 327 MB, Free - 78 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpclient.010817-1148) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000 (xpclient.010817-1148) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000 (xpclient.010817-1148) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive G: Memorex DVD+/-RW Dual-X1  Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive H: MATSHITADVD-ROM SR-8583   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive G: Memorex  DVD+/-RW Dual-X1   Addr: 0:0:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:16  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Slow ripping/encoding speed
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 04:18:53 am »

You didn't say what format you are using. Is it MP3?

Generally the LAME encoder, which is used in MC, has the best MP3 quality with the right settings. It is known to be a bit slower than some others, but not that much. Your processor is not exactly a speed monster, but the differences between the encoders should be relative.

As a test, could you rip in wave format and monitor the speed?

Also, could you post the exact settings you used in MC and in the other programs? I could try what happens on my PC with your settings.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 04:45:52 am »

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1  (Build 2600)

I noticed you have not installed any XP service packs. MS does not support the original XP anymore. They require at least SP1. Though, I don't know if the service packs make any change on this.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Blutzski

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 08:32:27 am »

I'll update the service packs and try that. Until then... I am ripping to mp3. When I rip to uncompressed wave it rips at about 3.8x. If I then convert to mp3 it took 1.5 minutes to convert a 3 minute song.

I have the following settings:
Devices:
analyze audio: off
copy mode: normal
read speed: max
encode on the fly while ripping: off

Encoding:
normalize before encoding: off
rip and encode simultaneously: off
delete temp wave files when encoding is done: on

I think those are the only settings that should affect the speed. Are there any others I'm missing?

Unfotunately I removed iTunes and Musicmatch to see if that made a difference so I don't know all the settings I was using. But typically I was ripping VBR 90% at max speed without alayzing any audio (such as volume normalizing). I'll reinstall iTunes to see exactly what setting I used.

LonWar

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 08:48:01 am »

Did you try changing your CD drive from PIO?

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=24586.0
-
Pages: [1]   Go Up