INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: XBOX 360 + MC  (Read 1855 times)

datdude

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
XBOX 360 + MC
« on: May 13, 2005, 09:13:16 pm »

Apparently the xbox 360 will have a media center extender built in.  So has anyone used a standalone extender before?

Do you have access to all your normal computer programs including MC?

How well does this work with MC especially visually on a big screen?

Would this be better than building an HTPC with a DVI video card?

Why don't they just stick Media center edition on the xbox itself since it has the hardware to run it?

My first thought is that if the PC is in another room, then I would have to wirelessly stream that audio to my stereo.

I think MC can handle that pretty well, I hope?
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

lOth

Re: XBOX 360 + MC
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 12:45:52 am »

Yeah, I read this:

Digital entertainment: Amplify your music, photos, video, and TV. Watch progressive-scan DVD movies right out of the box. Rip music to the Xbox 360 hard drive and share your latest digital pictures with friends. Make the connection, and Xbox 360 instantly streams the digital media stored on your MP3 player, digital camera, Media Center PC, or any Microsoft® Windows® XP-based PC.

here: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox360/factsheet.htm.

So, I guess my question is: is that thing sort of a uPnP device, and yeah, does it look like MC could interact with it (I know, we need more specs for a definitive answer, but I was wondering what people's guess about this is)?

britade

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 03:17:13 am »

A colleague of mine has a Media Center PC and the Microsoft Xbox Media Center extender.  I run the XBox Media Center (http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/), so we were comparing and contrasting the way it works.

I remember from discussions wih him that PC runs the main application with the display being brought back to the Xbox using RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol).   I assume that there must be another protocol under the covers to bring the audio back to the extender.

Regards,

Adrian.

pank2002

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2005, 08:39:54 am »

It would be super sweet if the Xbox will be able to connect to MC, and if MC then could stream stuff to it. Especially if doesn't make as much noise as the current Xbox.
Also, it should support wireless too with some sort of adapter. I hope though, that they'll add support for wireless out of the box.

I have always wondered what a UPnP device is ...
Music is life... the rest is details.
Here is a security related website: secubi.dk

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2005, 08:35:47 pm »

I assume that there must be another protocol under the covers to bring the audio back to the extender.

RDP itself supports audio.  It wasn't until windows 2003 that server supported *sending* it.  That and the Remote Desktop Client program (new name for Terminal Service Client) supports it. 

So I rather doubt anything fancier than RDP is involved. 

modelmaker

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2005, 10:39:51 pm »

uPnP = universal plug and play
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2005, 03:36:38 am »

RDP itself supports audio.  It wasn't until windows 2003 that server supported *sending* it.  That and the Remote Desktop Client program (new name for Terminal Service Client) supports it. 

Sending audio via RDP is availble in XP already. There is an optoin in the remote desktop config to select whether the sound remains on the server or is sent to the client.
Pages: [1]   Go Up