INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help - Quick questions about Music Center vs Musicmatch  (Read 3936 times)

timhuk

Help - Quick questions about Music Center vs Musicmatch
« on: May 19, 2005, 06:06:44 pm »

HI

I'm a newby to Music Center and really need some help as you lot really know your stuff. Sorry if this is a simple question.

The issue
I used to use music match but now that I have started sopying my CD's over into FLAC files music match deosn't support them. Therefore I've just started using music Center.

The Problem
ALthough Musicmatch is probably technically not as good it did have some good functions that I can't get to work on Music Center.

1st - On MusicMatch when you single clicked on an ALbum Thumbnail pic it would show you all the tracks in that album. You could then select just the track you wanted and add it into the playlisst window. YOu could then easily look through what tracks were lined up and even mess around with the order. Is this possible on Music Center.

2nd - I believe that Music Match used a different database for creating track tags (i think it was IDDB). This seemed to return more reliable results than YADB. Am I correct and is it possible to change the database it's using.

ANy help or direction you can give me would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Tim

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Help - Quick questions about Music Center vs Musicmatch
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 06:16:11 pm »

I don't think it was the Investigational Drugs database (IDdb) - Thomson Scientific

and is it possible to change the database it's using.
No
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

pank2002

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 06:24:40 pm »

First, welcome to the Interact!

The issue
I used to use music match but now that I have started sopying my CD's over into FLAC files music match deosn't support them. Therefore I've just started using music Center.
Use Monkey Audio instead. Basically the same (lossless) but it's fully supported by MC. Matt (one of the developers) is the author.

1st - On MusicMatch when you single clicked on an ALbum Thumbnail pic it would show you all the tracks in that album. You could then select just the track you wanted and add it into the playlisst window. YOu could then easily look through what tracks were lined up and even mess around with the order. Is this possible on Music Center.

What about Library Browser? Or the panes? I think Library Browser comes closes to what you are looking for. Otherwise, there is plenty of ways to navigate your database, and I'm certain you will find one which suits you
2nd - I believe that Music Match used a different database for creating track tags (i think it was IDDB). This seemed to return more reliable results than YADB. Am I correct and is it possible to change the database it's using.

That is correct. The database MusicMatch use is very expensive. YADB is created by JRiver. If there's something you can't find please add it to the db. That way others can access it. That said, I rarely have CD's which aren't in YADB. There are no plans on changing from YADB.

edit: The database MMJB use is CDDB
Music is life... the rest is details.
Here is a security related website: secubi.dk

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005, 12:01:29 am »

rom an old MusicMatch user:  Once you get used to J River you'll never go back.  Support has been awesome if and when I've had a problem. 

Regarding the CD Database - what about FreeDB for a CD Database - I found the YADB not as good as CDDB but I've also used FreeDB with great results...

Anyone from J River ever contemplated hooking into FreeDB?

http://www.freedb.org/

Pink Waters

• Finally I understand the feelings of the few
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005, 12:37:43 am »

Anyone from J River ever contemplated hooking into FreeDB?
I think not.
MC is a great piece of software for people who want a main MEDIA CENTER software to control all their PC media contents with the much possible ease and trust.
maybe MC now does not support features as the huge media content store as in media jukebox, but i can bet that MC will reach evey possible features when possible, because the guys who could make something as good as MC can make anything else.
also can't even imagine any other profissional and handy support as the support of MC and that is a very important thing one can consider when buying software these days.
so as a recommendation from me you can move to MC and you will be very satisfaied as soon as you get used to it.
Tamer

modelmaker

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 04:30:20 am »

I still have MMJB on my computer for those rare occaisions when I can't find a CD on YADB..  I keep the MMJB library empty and just import the CD I need to look up, then close and import it into MC and finish the tagging process.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

EpF

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2005, 05:42:58 am »

If you use EAX, it connects to freedb, and you can export your growing EAX database to windows cdplayer.ini - then it's available to MC..

ama_mmmc

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2005, 11:03:05 pm »

YADB, which is what MC uses now, was originally based on a point in time of FreeDB, but that was a while ago.  It has only gotten better with the MC users submitting their CD's and tracks.  It has been asked and asked and asked again that they go back to CDDB, but it is way to expensive, and they had no control, while with YADB was written by one of the JRiver experts, they control what happens with it.

I think I summed that up.

Pink Waters

• Finally I understand the feelings of the few
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2005, 12:32:19 am »

iam just recentely done adding 570 fle to yadb
Tamer

Fex

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2005, 04:56:37 am »

Within the last 48 hours MC went through my 71'000 files and added 36'000 of them to YADB.

Rob L

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2005, 06:17:20 am »

How does that work then? You can add them to the database AFTER you've ripped them?!

Fex

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2005, 06:26:09 am »

Yes. If your tags are well you could help others with this.

>Tools>Library Tools>Submit Track Info To YADB

jeffspl311

• World Citizen
  • Reaper of Righteous Riffs
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2005, 06:34:18 pm »

When I submit my track info, which of my many tags actually get stored in YADB? Things like BPM? Lyrics? etc?

Cheers,
Jeff

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2005, 07:21:15 pm »

Just The Basic Tags Are Saved When Submitting Files To YADB's Digital Fingerprint Look Up.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

jeffspl311

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2005, 01:26:21 am »

Thanks King, but I don't know what those "basic" tags are nor how to find out. Do you mean ID3v1 tags?

Thanks,
Jeff

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2005, 08:36:12 am »

Thanks King, but I don't know what those "basic" tags are nor how to find out.

Artist, Album, Name, Track #, Date (year) and Genre.

I checked this by sending and dowloading the information. I used a fully tagged track and an untagged copy of it.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

jeffspl311

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2005, 02:53:06 pm »

Thanks Alex!
Pages: [1]   Go Up