INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which OS would you like to see MC ported to?

Linux
OSX
Both
Other - Please Post
None -- Windows works for me

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC ported to which OS?  (Read 3234 times)

datdude

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
MC ported to which OS?
« on: May 19, 2005, 08:03:36 pm »

"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: MC ported to which OS?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 01:56:37 am »

I voted "other". My other, if it had been there would have been "none"

That's because I can't see me using anything other than windows for the forseeable future. It's taken me a long time to learn what makes windows and my pc tick along and I can take care of my system without having to take along to PC World for a "pc health check"  :o

I just can't see me going all the way back to square one to start learning all about compiling my own kernals and wot-not.

Sorry, but you did ask :)

-marko.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 10:13:05 am »

Atari 8-Bit 1983 OS, Max 32k
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Tor

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005, 11:05:37 am »

X-Box 360  :)

UnknownID

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005, 11:46:17 am »

I voted other.

Though I do not use them, I think MC should move onto handheld devices like Palm and Windows CE. In addition to being a player/organizer of all kinds of media on the PDAs, MC could use the IR port and/or the wireless abilities to link up to a Windows computer running the standard MC and act as a remote.

The PDA could control the computer version as well as stream music from it… the possibilities are endless, but I will stop there.

Anyway, it seems like JRiver's goal is to create a software GUI to take over the Windows interface and be your single access point for all media on a computer; having a way to remotely access the standard software via client-type software seems like the next logical step.

Regardless, it seems like they are already thinking about this which is evident in their OneRemote.com web site.

UnknownID

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 01:47:36 pm »

I want it ported on to Abacus

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2005, 06:51:49 pm »

Choice is nice.  Choice is good

Sometimes "Choice" Can Confuse A Person

Lets See Would I Want 50% Of The Programing Resources To Be Weined Away From The Windows Platform To A Linux Version?

Not Likely...

What Is The Percent Of Linux Users In The World? Like what 1%

Companies Go Where The Money Is.

I Have never Seen A Linux Computer At Best Buy...

Can You Buy A Apple At Circuit City. Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Or Even K-Mart?

Why Would A Company Put Money into A Platform That Can't Draw User Share?

Apple Keeps Losing % Of Users, Sure They Have IPOD But Thats Not A Computer

I Just Don't See It...

And Thats How It Is 20-May-2005
Fayetteville, NC, USA

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2005, 07:07:42 pm »

It appears that I have hit a nerve

Not Really...

;D
Fayetteville, NC, USA

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2005, 09:53:31 pm »

I voted "other". My other, if it had been there would have been "none"

That's because I can't see me using anything other than windows for the forseeable future. It's taken me a long time to learn what makes windows and my pc tick along and I can take care of my system without having to take along to PC World for a "pc health check"  :o

I just can't see me going all the way back to square one to start learning all about compiling my own kernals and wot-not.

Sorry, but you did ask :)

-marko.

What's the 'none' option all about?  If you want it ported then vote, if not then move along.  Man I hate politics.  Oh well such as life :(

I think the reason you have had to get it to work perfectly on windows , is that windows really sucks.   I haven't used linux but I can't imagine its worse and is probably less bloated and easier to use and code for.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2005, 12:27:19 am »

What's the 'none' option all about?  If you want it ported then vote, if not then move along.  Man I hate politics.  Oh well such as life :(

I think the reason you have had to get it to work perfectly on windows , is that windows really sucks.   I haven't used linux but I can't imagine its worse and is probably less bloated and easier to use and code for.
Ha! I love educated opinions.

In what way does Windows "really suck"?

Linux is less bloated is it?
The last time I tried it, I was prompted for CD2, CD3, CD4, CD5. I still get XP installed off a single CD.

Where is that killer app that makes money in the linux world? I've missed it.

Ported to none is a valid choice. I like things the way they are. In fact, I am in the camp that thinks that the resources of JRiver shouldn't be spread to docs,images, etc but stay with music and video.

Pink Waters

• Finally I understand the feelings of the few
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2005, 12:33:50 am »

Hope a lite version for symbian OS phones.
Tamer

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2005, 01:14:57 am »

Ha! I love educated opinions.

In what way does Windows "really suck"?

The last time I tried it, I was prompted for CD2, CD3, CD4, CD5. I still get XP installed off a single CD.

Ported to none is a valid choice. I like things the way they are. In fact, I am in the camp that thinks that the resources of JRiver shouldn't be spread to docs,images, etc but stay with music and video.

Thank you for your compliment.

Windows needs to be obliterated.  It's like any system where improvements are made to fix old bugs which causes new bugs.  Windows file/ menu system is a joke.  It's been the same since the beginning and it's still hard to find things.  I thought a computer was supposed to make things easier, not harder.  Thats what windows does.  They just like to add whizey woos to make you think xp is better.  I love that commercial where Microsoft says that you can run an infinite number of programs on it yet I think to myself 'not very well'.  Why can't I leave my computer on all the time?  Because it crashes!  There is not one thing that Microsoft has added to windows itself since 3x that I have to have.  Other technologies such as wifi have only given windows a reason to show they don't give a rats ass.  Luckily MC is able to work past all of this and make a great product. In fact it is a real testament to the awesome JRiver team that MC is what is in the Microsoft world.  I'm sure they want to kill Microsoft for creating the worst OS that Everyone uses.

As for Linux, I've heard good and bad but don't know first hand.  Please add why you think windows is better than Linux other than you can run anything on it.  Windows will die hopefully soon.  Just because you have spent years perfecting your system to work just right doesn't mean everyone else has or wants to.  Microsoft needs to get it right the first time they release things.

indybrett

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2005, 01:34:17 am »

i beg to differ. My windows boxes stay up for just as long as my linux boxes. neither needs a reboot if set up properly.

i've seen it with nt, and i've seen it with solaris. a bad app or hardware can bring down ANY os.

and don't even get me started on patches. ever seen redhat's errata?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2005, 01:40:22 am »

What's the 'none' option all about? If you want it ported then vote, if not then move along. Man I hate politics. Oh well such as life :(

I think the reason you have had to get it to work perfectly on windows , is that windows really sucks. I haven't used linux but I can't imagine its worse and is probably less bloated and easier to use and code for.

But I don't want it ported. You asked a question, and as my answer wasn't listed I chose "other" and posted the reason just as you requested.
There's nothing "political" about it. I find your attitude in the above quote quite rude.

Also, may I point out that the question asked was "MC ported to which OS?" not "what's better, Windows or [insert other OS here]?"
and for the record, I have an XP machine that's been running 24/7 for almost 45 days, and yes, it's getting a daily workout from all the family.

-marko.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2005, 01:44:49 am »

But I don't want it ported. You asked a question, and as my answer wasn't listed I chose "other" and posted the reason just as you requested.
There's nothing "political" about it. I find your attitude in the above quote quite rude.

Also, may I point out that the question asked was "MC ported to which OS?" not "what's better, Windows or [insert other OS here]?"
and for the record, I have an XP machine that's been running 24/7 for almost 45 days, and yes, it's getting a daily workout from all the family.

-marko.

So basically I didn't ask the right question.

It should have said 'If MC were to be ported, which OS would you prefer?" ;D

In my previous comment I was thinking about tweaking windows to run perfectly.  One shouldn't have to putin the effort that marko has.

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2005, 07:50:33 am »

Thank you for your compliment.

Windows needs to be obliterated.  It's like any system where improvements are made to fix old bugs which causes new bugs.  Windows file/ menu system is a joke.  It's been the same since the beginning and it's still hard to find things.  I thought a computer was supposed to make things easier, not harder.  Thats what windows does.  They just like to add whizey woos to make you think xp is better.  I love that commercial where Microsoft says that you can run an infinite number of programs on it yet I think to myself 'not very well'.  Why can't I leave my computer on all the time?  Because it crashes!  There is not one thing that Microsoft has added to windows itself since 3x that I have to have.  Other technologies such as wifi have only given windows a reason to show they don't give a rats ass.  Luckily MC is able to work past all of this and make a great product. In fact it is a real testament to the awesome JRiver team that MC is what is in the Microsoft world.  I'm sure they want to kill Microsoft for creating the worst OS that Everyone uses.

As for Linux, I've heard good and bad but don't know first hand.  Please add why you think windows is better than Linux other than you can run anything on it.  Windows will die hopefully soon.  Just because you have spent years perfecting your system to work just right doesn't mean everyone else has or wants to.  Microsoft needs to get it right the first time they release things.

Linux is very similar as far as menu systems go......
theres a few added things in some cases but nothing to rave about.
On the whole I'd still say Windows is leaps and bounds ahead as far as GUI's are concerned.  Everything just seems so much smoother, in ways that I find hard to explain... you have to try it!

Instead of moaning so much about Windows consider how good it is.  Tbh, I don't know what you do,  Laugh but your not worthy of using such a fantastic operating system!   The millions of lines of code that goes into it are phenominal.  That it works at all is just amazing.
Everything you do is consisting of bytes wizzing here there and every where, threads spawning off do to tiny tasks you don't ever notice, memory using advanced memory management systems which have been developed over a 60 year period, to give you an all out very versatile system, (which most people use to do there word processing!).  It makes anything else you use in daily life look like something out of the stone age, yet the chances are if you bought an off the shelf PC, MS will have received about £25($45?) for it. 

Windows has come so far since it was first developed. 
OK XP's due an upgrade in security, but no doubt when it does come along it will be pretty solid (If MS have any sense!).
In 98 it needed an upgrade in reliability and what we have now is so much better in that sense.
I think you just have to give what is space age technology a chance to evolve!
The same can be said about Linux/Unix etc.
At the end of the day a tool is only as good as it's weilder, hence the
phrase
"Only a bad workman blames there tools!"(I have no problem finding things in Windows :-)
I'd imagine another 5-10 years and all the OS's will be getting pretty similar.
Windows will be well secure....
Unix/Linux will be easy to use.....(and install :-)
Mac will be yet again the coolest thing on the planet, but still no one will be using them, and no one will really no why.....

MS aren't the best company on the planet but they've given home users something they may never have otherwise seen.
End Rant  8)

Mr (hriZ

Fex

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2005, 08:16:47 am »

...Windows has come so far since it was first developed...

I remember a few more OS in the last years. I liked UNIX. I remember trying an OS from IBM, don't ask about the name. Before that, DOS was not bad. Lost months with CP/M. And it still works today if I want.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=19783.msg137563#msg137563

So the race is open.

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2005, 01:45:53 pm »

I remember a few more OS in the last years. I liked UNIX. I remember trying an OS from IBM,

OS/2?
Always wanted to try that, alot of people raved about it.
Something to do with a spair weekend.... OK it'll never happen  ;)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2005, 02:26:11 pm »

I don't want to get embroiled in this rediculous argument, but I did feel I needed to address this incorrect statement.  Comparing the single-disc XP Pro or Home install to the 5-6 disc Linux install is simply not accurate.

First of all, fully 1/2 of those 5-6 Linux discs are Source Code NOT binary files needed to run the distribution.  Those discs, and what you can do with them, is Linux's primary advantage over any proprietary OS (Windows inclusive).

Secondly, Linux comes with just about everything you could possibly need to use your computer on those remaining 2-3 CD-Rom discs.  This includes an entire Office suite, multiple web browsers, multiple email clients, chat clients, DNS server, a couple of email server choices, DHCP server, two complete GUI systems (and a bunch of small ones), a web server, full documentation of the kernel, a software integrated development environment, and on and on...

Comparing what you get on those 2-3 linux discs to XP's install disc is comparing apples to oranges.  If you are going to compare it, you need to include Office, XP Server (Corporate), a backup system, and Visual Studio discs in that comparison to be fair.  Then, Linux's 2-3 discs will seem like a tiny amount compared to the 10-15 it would take for Windows to give you the same types of utility.

If you strip off all those "extras" (which with linux you can do, unlike Windows), you can create a Linux distribution that will run in a tiny amount of space.  For example, Coyote Linux is a Linux firewall distribution that fit on a 3-1/2" floppy disk.  ntoskrnl.exe by itself won't even fit on a floppy anymore, much less the rest of the OS.

The other thing I wanted to address is the "killer app" comment.  Setting aside for the moment your "making money" criteria (which I don't think is relevant to whether a software package is successful -- are you saying if I write the next killer app and give it away for free it can never be successful?), there is definately an obvious "killer app" for Linux.  Apache.

Currently, Apache has about a 70% market share of the Web Server market.  Followed by Microsoft's IIS in a distant second place with about 20%.  Apache is also gaining ground, while IIS is losing ground.  Granted, you can download and compile Apache for Windows (and a handful of the Apache hosts out there might actually be Windows server machines), but the vast majority of them are Linux boxes.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2005, 02:46:29 pm »

Can You Buy A Apple At Circuit City. Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Or Even K-Mart?

Yes.  You can..

Also, Apple has been gaining market share over the past year, not losing it, and is expected to continue doing so.

Basically, everyone, if you haven't tried a Linux machine or an Apple for any real period of time (meaning not for 10 minutes at a store, but really used it as your primary machine), you have no room to compare the platforms.  All operating systems have their strengths and weaknesses.  I love the hardware flexibility I have with my Windows machines.  I love the software flexibility and power of my Linux machines, and I love the usability combined with the power of my two Apple computers.  They all have strong points and weak ones.  I, for one, vote for choice.  If the Linux/OSX "port" of MC is done right, it wouldn't "take 50% of the development away" from the Windows "side".  They would both enhance each other and share code.

I don't dispute that it would be a difficult process at first... It would.  Maybe even EXTREMELY difficult, I have no way of knowing.  That's for JRiver to decide though, not us.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2005, 04:59:09 pm »

Yes.  You can..

Not In our store, and have not been able to for like 5 years, they took out all apple computers and software.

maybe on-line
Fayetteville, NC, USA

runemail

• World Citizen
  • Soft Rock
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2005, 07:35:35 pm »

Lite version for symbian OS or Windows mobile 5.0.

Linux users don't like to pay for apps anyway do they?

A osx version would be nice, but apple users prefer apps that start with the letter i (iMedia Center)?
I would actually consider a Mac mini if i could run iMC on it :)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2005, 01:58:26 am »

Not In our store, and have not been able to for like 5 years, they took out all apple computers and software.

maybe on-line

Yeah, King, you are/were right.  They did pull many Apple products off the shelves a few years ago.  They continued to sell PowerBooks, Software, and select PowerMac's on their online site.  However, as of April they have a new agreement, and Best Buy will be selling the Mac Mini and selected Apple Software in store (brick and mortar).

Our Best Buy up here in Maine just got a few Mac Mini's in about two weeks ago, and over time they will be popping up in all Best Buy stores (at least they will according to this MacWorld article).  It was nice for me to be able to go actually see the Mini (and other products) locally, since we don't have an Apple Store anywhere around here.

Good news for Apple anyway!   :)

Lite version for symbian OS or Windows mobile 5.0.

Linux users don't like to pay for apps anyway do they?

A osx version would be nice, but apple users prefer apps that start with the letter i (iMedia Center)?
I would actually consider a Mac mini if i could run iMC on it :)

I use Linux and I've paid for MC (not to mention that I've convinced a few other people to as well).

iMC ... Made me laugh pretty hard.   ;D

Final Cut Pro, Motion, Shake, Logic, and DVDSP are all spectacular Apple applications, none of which have the "i" prefix though.  Apple users, myself included, seem to like them pretty darn well.

Pages: [1]   Go Up