INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AudioTron  (Read 2533 times)

JorgeGVB

• World Citizen
AudioTron
« on: October 08, 2002, 07:03:08 pm »

Does anyone here have an AudioTron?  Looks pretty cool, but I wonder if it is any good.

If you don't know what I am talking about you can find out more at http://www.audiotron.net/audiotron/producthome.asp

Moonshine

• Recent member
Re: AudioTron
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2002, 07:24:42 pm »

Well actually have 8 of them.  ::)  Use them to distribute music around the house from a main music server.  Really they are great.

What I like best:

- Digital S/PDIF output (optical)
- Web Interface/control
- Constantly update flash updates with real changes :)
- Nice infrared controls
- Boots quickly on large collections if you use a TOC file
- Active mailing list
- Great API for people to control it via anything they want to write (HINT HINT Media Jukebox)
- Just plain works

My only wish for it at this point is:

-  compressed lossless support (any kind would do: ape, flac, wma, anything)

It supports tagged WAV files, but that's a little extreme size wise.  They are currently looking into WMA9 though (both lossless and highest bitrate VBR).

JorgeGVB

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2002, 02:56:23 am »

Thanks, I think I am going to give it a try then.  I found a better price at Buy.com.  If you go to techbargins.com they have a discount code for $15 off at Buy.com too!

Moonshine

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2002, 05:33:32 am »

I'm sure you'll like the Audiotron, and be sure to sign up for the mailing list if you want to get beta firmware as it comes out.  I use mine everyday.  Heck it even wakes me up with it's alarm functions. :)

JorgeGVB

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2002, 06:57:43 am »

Moonshine....

Have you had any problems with the Beta Firmware updates?  Also, is there a way to use MJ with it?  Not sure if I have a full grasp on how it interfaces with the computer yet.

Moonshine

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2002, 07:53:11 pm »

I haven't had any trouble with the firmware betas.  Usually if there are little hiccups it's on some new feature that needs a little fine tuning.  I'm currently running 2 betas behind right now, only because I've been really busy (building a new house) and really they do most everything I want already.

As for how it interfaces, it basically hunts down Windows shares (or Samba shares if your a Unix guy) that are named certain things like "Music", "My Music", "Audio",etc.  It can also be configured to just use other share names, servers, etc by hand if you want through the Web interface.  For example I can stream things from my work machine on them at home.

For streaming stations they have a Web site you use that allows you to set up and manage your streaming channels.  Then the Audiotron just contacts it to get your channel lists.  If you have a decent connection, streaming works great.

One thing I should mention is that I do use all them on a connected ethernet network (100mbs switched, but that doesn't really matter as 10mbps is fine).  Some people using the HPNA connections randomly post probs to the list.  However, I *really* think most of that is just inherent in HPNA with borderline conditions.  They are working on better drivers though.  Really everyone should be using ethernet IMHO.  Some are even using the wireless ethernet 802.11b stuff now that it's very cheap from people like Linksys.

As far as control, you'll get a remote control that will give you pretty decent control.  However it also has a Web interface that will give you far greater control and more features to play with.  There is even a "tiny" version of the Web interface that you can use with things like wireless Pocket PC's, Palms, etc.  Makes for very slick control as you browse your entire collection on a nice Pocket PC screen and have full control.

In any event the product has grown into a pretty mature piece.  Once you dig into their web interface a bit I think you'll be impressed.

Moonshine

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2002, 07:57:40 pm »

Sorry forgot to mention about a Media Jukebox interface plugin.  Basically there isn't one. :-/   I really how one is developed though.  As their API is based on HTTP requests it's really quite simple.  If I get some time during the long cold winter I might take a look into it.

JorgeGVB

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2002, 12:36:50 pm »

Thanks Moonshine!  I appreciate the time you took to explain things.  I received my AudioTron today.  It was pretty simple to set up and I do have network to run it through.  

I have a home theater system with an excellent speaker system, so it makes more since to use the AudioTron than to listen to CDs using my computer speakers.  It is amazing how seemless this system works.  It is like playing a CD.  I put it on random a couple of hours ago and it just plays and plays!

Your idea for an AudioTron plug-in for MJ would be great.  I hope you find the time to work on it someday.  

Thanks again,
Jorge

JorgeGVB

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2002, 12:38:43 pm »

If anyone else is interested in getting an AudioTron....

I mentioned I purchased mine at Buy.com http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10272843&loc=111  However, it appears they are now on backorder.  I also found it at NewEgg.com http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=&submit=Go&description=audiotron.  For some reason the Turtle Beach website has the AudioTron for sale for about $80 more.  So check out the other two sites before you buy one.

Moonshine

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2002, 01:52:27 pm »

No problem, enjoy your new toy  ;D   I would suggest you give it a shot in your high-end theater setup though.  You might be surprised with well encoded material using it's S/PDIF digital outs.

WAV is obviously the highest quality choice but ahem, not very useful for a large collection.  Still, LAME ripped MP3 with alt-preset insane sound remarkably good using the digital out.  I have one hooked to a pretty respectable Lexicon/Aragon/Canton/Velodyne 7.1 setup and find myself using it every day.

In any event, if you can make use of it's digital out, do so.  It will give you much better sound using an external D/A then what they have to pack in there to meet their price point.

Enjoy..

MonkeyK

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2002, 04:52:31 pm »

You should also check out the SliMP3 http://www.slimdevices.com.  Simple, elegant, and very effective.  While it does not have digital output (only RCA), it also has no limit on the number of files it can access (which I believe that the Audiotron does).
In the Audiotron's favor are that it can handle formats other than MP3 (SliMP3 cannot) and that it does not require any software to be running on the machines with the music.

-Mike

Moonshine

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2002, 11:21:41 am »

A firmware update about 6 months (?) ago upped the file db size considerably.  I've booted up with 38,000 fine so I'm not quite sure where it's at now.

There are some other fun ones out there also like the highend Lansonic models. (www.lansonic.com) In the end I went with the Audiotron because of it's digital out, pricing and active firmware enchancements.  

What I'm really hoping is that they can pull off WMA9 lossless support.  I'm just not sure the ARM processor in it is up to the task.  There is some hope though, as the unit is Windows CE based and Microsoft has announced a full WMA9 SDK's coming for the PalmPC's that use the ARM also.

Pages: [1]   Go Up