INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: problem with MP3 encoder in MC11?  (Read 2898 times)

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
problem with MP3 encoder in MC11?
« on: May 20, 2005, 08:44:23 am »

hi,

i am having problems playing mp3 files in traktor dj studio that i have recently converted from ape files using media centre 11.  these mp3 files play fine in other players.  i can import them into dj traktor studio but then when i drag them to one of the decks, nothing happens, except an exclamation mark appears next to the track. i am unable to analyse audio - i get the error message - 'not all tracks have been analysed - please make sure the tracks are available and valid audio files'.

i have succesfully imported and used other mp3 files in traktor (converted quite a long time ago using the same method)

could it be that there is a problem with the mp3 plugin in MC11?  can i download another plugin anywhere? i would be grateful for some advice.

thanks

nick

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: problem with MP3 encoder in MC11?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 08:55:09 am »

As far as I know MC11 makes standard MP3 files. It uses LAME 3.96.1 encoder.

More information is needed: What is your MC version? What is the sample rate and bit depth of the original APE files? What MP3 options you used? Did you use any other software besides MC11 for tagging the MP3 files? Could you post a small sample MP3 file? (by uploading to a website and linking here)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 04:34:59 pm »

MC version: 11.0.235
ape files: 16 bit 44.1 KHz, 2 ch
MP3 options:  i have tried both CBR (320 kbps), VBR (extreme) and custom command line (--preset cbr 320), and all of these have the same problem when i import into traktor dj studio. 
tagging was done with EAC for basic tags and then other tags in MC. 

like i have said, it is only recent conversions that i am having trouble with, and these recent conversions play fine in other players, and if i convert to WAV using MC and then compress to MP3 using another program then there are no probs in traktor (except that i lose the tags).  i really need to be able to use MC to do it all as it used to, as there are a lot of conversions to do....

i don't have anywhere to post a small MP3 file, unless you can suggest somewhere....

thanks

nick.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005, 05:23:12 pm »

You should upgrade to the latest build (11.0.274). There were many changes to the encoders during the development.

You can mail a sample: alexb @ luukku.com

I'll try to find out if it has anything strange.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005, 04:03:43 pm »

thanks for your help alex

i have updated to the latest version of MC11 and still have 2 problems:

(i) the original problem is now intermittent.  about half the files i am converting (ape - mp3) are not playing in traktor, though all of them play in itunes.  i am pretty sure the problem isn't with traktor, as i can replicate the problem on different versions of traktor on both pc and mac.  also i can convert the problematic ape files to wav, and then compress to mp3 using itunes, and they play fine in traktor.

(ii) all of the ape files have ape 2 tags, but when i convert some of the files, the tags get lost, both in traktor and itunes (all i get is the name of the file under 'track/song name' with all of the other fields being blank).  when i reimport into MC though, all of the tags show up fine. 

there doesn't seem to be a link between these problems, as they are affecting different files.

i have e-mailed a sample file that won't play in traktor to you as suggested

nick

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2005, 05:20:47 pm »

If an MP3 file won't play in another program, the possibilities are that the MP3 encoding settings you're using produce a file that the other program can't read.  The actual MP3 encoding is done with the LAME encoder and it's pretty widely used.

You might find that other settings for the encoder work.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2005, 06:08:20 pm »

MP3 options:  i have tried both CBR (320 kbps), VBR (extreme) and custom command line (--preset cbr 320)

These are normal and commonly used MC & LAME settings. (--preset cbr = CBR 320)

That's why I was curious to see a sample file before guessing anything. Unfortunately I didn't receive it.

Nick, did you remove the spaces from my mail address? They are only for tricking spam robots. How big the sample is? I think that account can receive 25 MB, but I hope the sample is much smaller. Your provider can have size limits too.

I have not heard about incompatibilities with MC's Lame encoder, but it is possible to try a different LAME compilation and a version too. However, I would like to see the sample before giving possibly unnecessary instructions.

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005, 06:21:42 pm »

hi alex

i tried to send you a file but i think there is a problem with the only account i have that can send large files.  however, i don't think this will be necessary now as MC seems to be more reliably converting files.  i tried converting 20 ape files to mp3 and i was able to play all of them in traktor.  however, the tag info wasn't kept during the conversion on any of the files.  i have imported the files into the godfather, at ghammer's suggestion, and there wasn't any tag info here either, suggesting that the problem is with MC. i could use another program to do the conversions, but as all the files i need to convert for djing are catalogued in MC so that i can find them simply, i would really like to get the MC tagging working properly,

thanks

nick

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2005, 11:44:58 pm »

How about posting the details of one or two of the songs.
You know, artist, title, album

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2005, 04:29:12 am »

here is some info on a couple of the tracks:

track 1:

Monkey's Audio 3.97 (high)
Format: 44.1 khz, 16 bit, 2 ch
Length: 4:05
Compression: 75.49% (31.2 MB / 41.3 MB)
Tag: APE Tag 2.00 (4713962 bytes)
   Track: 11
   Year: 1995
   Peak Level: 1
   Genre: reggae
   Album: 'til shiloh
   Artist: buju banton
   Title: wanna be loved
   Tool Version: 11.0.235
   Media Jukebox: BPM: 146
   Tool Name: Media Center
   Media Jukebox: Rating: 5
   Comment: Exact Audio Copy
   Media Jukebox: Intensity: 2
   Replay Gain (radio): -11.986549999999999
   Cover Art (front): <too large to display>

track 2:

Monkey's Audio 3.97 (high)
Format: 44.1 khz, 16 bit, 2 ch
Length: 7:06
Compression: 73.41% (52.6 MB / 71.7 MB)
Tag: APE Tag 2.00 (3745925 bytes)
   Track: 8
   Genre: africa
   Peak Level: 1
   Title: tina mate
   Media Jukebox: BPM: 98
   Tool Version: 11.0.235
   Tool Name: Media Center
   Media Jukebox: Rating: 5
   Comment: exact audio copy
   Media Jukebox: dj tempo: 3
   Media Jukebox: Stage: burn
   Media Jukebox: Intensity: 2
   Album: 3 decades of highlife
   Media Jukebox: dj track: yes
   Artist: dr. victor abimbola olaiya
   Replay Gain (radio): -16.245349999999998
   Cover Art (front): <too large to display>

when i convert them to mp3 all i get is the file name under 'song name/track' in every other media player including  traktor, except if i import them back into MC and then all the tags are fine

nick

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2005, 04:36:16 am »

Try an Update Files from Library on one of the files that will not convert and tag.
Then try to convert it.
See if that works.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2005, 05:04:14 am »

What does the "File Type Info" box say about the MP3 versions?

I convert APE files to MP3 all the time and I have never encountered tagging problems.
I tested several MC11 converted MP3 files with various MP3 tools and they were OK.

I wonder if the embedded cover art makes any difference. I use only linked cover art files.

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2005, 08:09:55 pm »

here is the info for one of the mp3 files which clearly shows that there is no tag info, even though tags show up in MC in the main list of music (all the tags are correct except the name field is now the file name (track plus artist) instead of just the track name):

MPEG-1 Layer 3
320 Kbit CBR
44.1 Khz Joint stereo

Copyrighted: No
Original: Yes
Protected by CRC: No

ID3v1 Tag: (128 bytes)
   Name:
   Artist:
   Album:
   Year:
   Comment:
   Track #: 0
   Genre: undefined (255)

ID3v2 Tag: (21516 bytes)
  TXXX (TraktorID): <too large to display>
   PRIV: <unknown data type>
  TXXX (TraktorPeakDB): -1.539310
  TXXX (TraktorPerceivedDB): 2.699466
  TXXX (fBPM): 138.053375
  TXXX (fBPMQuality): 0.583924

with regard to ghammer's suggestion, did you mean 'update tags from library' as i tried this and it doesn't make any difference

thanks

nick

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2005, 10:11:51 pm »

Hi,
Yes that's what I meant.

I see the Traktor tags on this file.

Could you convert one then just load it into MC and post the file data here?

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2005, 04:38:20 am »

ok, so i think i have sorted this out.  when i converted to mp3 and reimported to MC before importing into traktor all of the tag info was still there.  when importing into traktor there is an option to analyse tracks prior to importing, for bpm, gain, etc., and it would seem that this process wipes out tag info, though i have no idea why this would be so.  if i import to traktor and then analyse afterwards all of the tag info remains.

so, it would seem that the lovely MC is behaving itself after all.  i will now do a large batch convert and see if all tracks are playable in traktor and with the right tag info

thanks a lot for your help

nick

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2005, 05:12:35 am »

i have now discovered that the issue with some tracks not playing in traktor was indeed an embedded cover art issue.  once i removed cover art from all mp3 after converting, they all loaded into traktor decks

nick.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2005, 06:31:43 am »

Glad you found the problem.
Didn't think it was from MC, but you have to look at everything to find where the problem occurs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up