INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: About To Purchase Ipod Photo 60gb.... Questions for current users  (Read 3473 times)

LonWar

• Citizen of the Universe

So I finally decided to replace my stolen Nomad Jukebox (Been about a year), At first I had my heart set on a IPOD Photo 60, but I think I'm gonna go with the Zen Xtra 60gb.

So after reading some things I just wanted to check a couple of things,

1 - I read in a old review that you can not create a play list on this unit, Is that true? I find that just to hard to believe.
2 - The removeable cover, Does that come off alot? A couple reviews said that it was pretty flimsy.
3 - Anyone tried the Tunedock? I am VERY interested in this ... Edit I meant Tunecast (FM Transmitter) 
http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=13&subcategory=57&product=11427

Any other Pro's and con's I should know about?

Thanks,

Edit, Please see next post.
-

LonWar

Well, I can get the player, but it doesn't seem like any of the retailers in Ontario (Canada) sell the accessories.... That really sucks.
Well I guess, It's the IPOD Photo 60 gb,

Anyone have any bad expierences with the batteries?

I am still interested if anyone has used:

- Anyone tried the Tunedock? I am VERY interested in this ... Edit I meant Tunecast (FM Transmitter) 
http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=13&subcategory=57&product=11427

Thanks,
-

MarSies

• Galactic Citizen
  • Keep on doing mambo ...
Re: About To Purchase Ipod Photo 60gb.... Questions for current users
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 03:56:06 pm »

I just bought mine and I already have problems. The device does not see any songs any more, and they are there for sure. Reformatting only helps partly. When rebuilding the database with MC all artist information and ratings are lost. Why?

I like the desing and ergonomics. But you can't do things with it like with an iRiver. Can't even see the use compression rate with songs and the audiocodec used. Really bad!

Want to use mine in my car which I will have in 2 weeks. That's the only reason I bought it. No othr problems yet.

Marsies .....

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
  • gettin' in touch with my inner child, watch out!
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 07:17:51 pm »

I've had one for ages (got the photo the day they were released), had two iPods before this one.

I've had one technical problem with the iPod itself, which I resolved by having them give me a replacement. Otherwise all the other issues I've had have been with MC 11, but that's what I get for beta testing.

One thing to know is that MC cannot deal with photos on the iPod yet. So you need to still use iTunes for that. Many of us are doing that with no ill effects, but you want to make sure that iTunes and MC are not both open when you have the iPod connected. I don't sync any music using iTunes, just photos.

There are general rules are using iPods with MC, read those, they still apply. Other than that, it's not any different -- except bigger and more beautiful <g> -- than the other iPods.

BTW, as an aside, if you've not had an Mp3 player before, I would highly, highly recommend ditching the apple-supplied earbuds and buying some decent earphones. This will make a vast difference in your listening pleasure. Pretty much anything from $50 on up to $500 will be better than those apple ones.

LonWar

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 07:27:15 pm »

BTW, as an aside, if you've not had an Mp3 player before, I would highly, highly recommend ditching the apple-supplied earbuds and buying some decent earphones. This will make a vast difference in your listening pleasure. Pretty much anything from $50 on up to $500 will be better than those apple ones.

Thanks.... I used to have a Nomad Jukrbox 20gb before. I'm not worried about the headphones, as I will only be using this in the car.
There is nothing that you can get for the car that even comes close to a handheld... I like having ALL my music available to me...  ;D
-

pank2002

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2005, 12:54:37 am »

Thanks.... I used to have a Nomad Jukrbox 20gb before. I'm not worried about the headphones, as I will only be using this in the car.
There is nothing that you can get for the car that even comes close to a handheld... I like having ALL my music available to me...  ;D
I know!Nothing comes close:)

On a side node. So far I'm quite pleased with the photo. It got a brilliant display (for fonts etc.)
Music is life... the rest is details.
Here is a security related website: secubi.dk

risingdamp

• Galactic Citizen

I am still interested if anyone has used:

- Anyone tried the Tunedock? I am VERY interested in this ... Edit I meant Tunecast (FM Transmitter) 

Thanks,
I did quite a lot of research on these transmitters and the conclusion was that the best one is the monster icarplay wireless.  I bought one from the apple store in NYC to bring back to the UK for a mate and we were both very impressed.
JLee

LonWar

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2005, 07:34:00 am »

I know!Nothing comes close:)

On a side node. So far I'm quite pleased with the photo. It got a brilliant display (for fonts etc.)

Ok, I should have said that there is nothing that I can afford, that wouls come close!!

THe IPod is a Little cheaper   ;D 8)
-

LonWar

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2005, 12:07:21 pm »

Well, Just took the plunge and ordered an Ipod with all the trimmings!!

IPod Phot 60
IPOD BATTERY BACKUP W/ 2 SUCTION CUPS
TUNECAST II FM TRNSMTTR DIGITAL w/dc ja
iPOD PHOTO DOCK KIT
IPOD MOBILE PWR CORD 30P
IPOD NEOPRENE CASE W/DRAWSTRING
IPOD CAR HOLDER

Man the accessories are expensive.... But I'm getting a great deal on them.....
Hopefully Tommorrow night, I can test drive it...   :D

-

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
  • gettin' in touch with my inner child, watch out!
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2005, 02:16:58 pm »

Do you not have a cassette deck in your car?

I can tell you that even the cheapest cassette hookup will give you better sound than any FM transmitter. But if you don't have a cassette, then you'll have to suffer until. . .

Given how important tunes in your car is to you, you have to save up to be able to directly connect the iPod into your car stereo. There are numerous options available to do this, but most run from $100-500.

LonWar

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2005, 02:20:19 pm »

If the FM doesn't work well, I can always return it or resell it.... I just didn't want to take my dash appart again. I have rear inputs....

I have read alot of reviews on it (FM Receiver) and in some areas it works better then others..... I guess we'll see in a day or two.
-

LonWar

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2005, 01:14:06 pm »

Well, I just got my IPOD......... Is there anything special I need to do to make this work? Do I have to install the Apple disc?

Thanks,
-

jgreen

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2005, 01:38:38 pm »

Gamer--
Take your dash apart.  Neither the FM nor the cassette method will satisfy you.  FM in particular has problems with interference.  I don't know how it is in the Frosty North, but in the states, particularly driving through rural areas, you will pick up interference from road condition broadcasts, fire stations and the occassional trucker jabbering about nothing. 
On the other hand, you get a Y cable and you are halfway home.  The pain will be worth it!  Myself, I went ahead and bought a head unit with a minijack input on the front, and I have never looked back.

Now, if one of the kindly jrivers could just tell me how to use the ipod with MC11, I would be a happy camper.  I mean the very basics of getting one to talk with the other.

pank2002

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2005, 04:02:35 pm »

Ain't it great? I like the interface a lot. Better than iRiver and Creative at least.

I got my car kit together today and I use a Sik dock-thing, which you plug in the bottom connector, which enables line out. A recharger was included too.

Using the iPod with MC: I really like Larry's guide: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=22729.0

Unfortunately these things isn't in MC (yet):
* Photo and coverart support (only music works)
* Dynamic playlists (ie playlist which are updated on the iPod)
* Replay gain works but needs improvements
* You can't use 'album artist (auto)' as 'artist' on the iPod (you used to be able to, but it was removed)
* Shuffle-support (doesn't really matter for you)

There might be more. The basic transfer mechanisms works though.

LonWar

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2005, 08:32:40 pm »

Yep the FM transmitter SUCKS!!

Spent an hour delicately removing my stereo to plug cables into the line out of the headunit.... Sounds MUCH better
-

jgreen

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2005, 10:11:04 pm »

Oh well, at least you didn't have to spend endless hours listening to it before you got the oportunity to fix it.  The way I hear it, FM freqs don't have the badwidth to support high-bitrate streams, so even though it's transmitting 18 inches, you're leaving half the music on the floor.
As for the cassette method, I tried it and it sounded tinny.  I had a cheap cassette deck, though.  Your results may vary.
MarSies, if your reading this, take the hint and go to town!  No halfway solutions, go the Kenwood or the Alpine hardwired and live it up!

pank2002

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2005, 03:28:23 am »

My first cassette adapter sounded horrible. The next sounded not-quite-so-horrible, but then again this is on a horrible car stereo. It only serves as an alternative to the radio.
Pages: [1]   Go Up