INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sbsp2: MC 11 Delete Selection  (Read 3434 times)

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
sbsp2: MC 11 Delete Selection
« on: May 12, 2005, 07:44:38 am »

Highlighting multiple tracks in any context window and pressing Delete to remove the tracks (say from Playing Now) will delete the tracks, but leaves the selection set and auto selecting the tracks that replace the 'spot' in the list where the just deleted tracks were.

This is a long time bad behaviour of MC.  Ideally, MC would remove the selection and just highlight the one track where the current in-list focus is (typically the first track following the deleted selection, for example).  Or, not highlight anything at all after the Delete.

If you can't recreate this, try selecting multiple tracks from Playing Now starting with the top of list (first track included) and pressing Delete.  You'll see a selection remain after the Delete and the first row not-selected.  Then do the same thing for other tracks in the list (select multiples), press Delete and you'll see the selection remain (after the Delete).  Seems like including the first track (top of the list) may be what primes the condition/problem to occur (later on).

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: sbsp2: MC 11 Delete Selection
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 02:11:48 pm »

I can't reproduce this.  Could you post your system info?

Delete should clear any selection and move the keyboard focus to where the first item was, so that pressing down once selects the next item in the list. (but the item isn't selected until down is pressed)

This is working as expected on XP.  Could you post your system info?  Can anyone else reproduce this?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JONCAT

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 03:33:39 pm »

I tried a couple different views and also Playing Now. I assume Delete is just removing files from Playing Now as it does ask whether or not to Remove from MC etc.

I could not reproduce this.

Your getting sections that remian highlighted?

JC

EpF

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 07:16:00 am »

Sbsp2 - are you using version .265?  I noticed that behaviour before, but it seems to be gone...

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 10:01:29 am »

It was present in 264 and is gone in 265 (so it appears).

I assumed JR fixed it in 265 and did not post it in the fix notes for 265.

Matt - Did you try it with 264?  I've seen this off and on in prior builds for a long, long time.  I will try more testing with 265 to see if I can replicate (again).

I'm using Win XP Pro w/SP2 with all the latest, greatest windows updates.

Code: [Select]
Media Center Registered 11.0.265 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2946 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1046 MB, Free - 512 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2900.2627 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.050309-1648) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2900.2620 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.050225-1820) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive X: PLEXTOR DVDR   PX-716A    Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive Y:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive X: PLEXTOR  DVDR   PX-716A     Addr: 0:0:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2005, 10:20:40 am »

Sorry to report this still happens in 265 as well.

I put 100 tracks in Playing Now.  Highlight the 1st three track and pressed Delete key and no problem.  BTW - Track # 50 or so in Playing Now was currently playing while I was doing this test.  I used Copy and Paste in Playing Now to add additional copies of tracks in Playing Now to Playing Now (to grow the list and do these tests).

Next, I highlighted the first 10 tracks and pressed Delete and the problem showed up.  The 10 tracks deleted and the highlight remained and selected tracks 2 thru 10.

From, there on, selected track 1 thru x and pressing Delete resulted in the selection/highlight remaining after the delete.

Maybe doing a Copy and Paste of tracks in Playing Now is the key to causing the problem.  I was selecting a complete album of tracks already in Playing Now and doing a Copy and Paste to get multple copies in Playing Now and then tested selection Deletes.  The problem happens pretty easy doing this method.

EpF

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2005, 10:56:47 am »

I just followed your process to the letter and had none of the problems... 

The problem you're describing was happening a couple of builds ago in another area of MC; when in view schemes, say you had your view filtered by selecting a particular genre, then album.  If you selected some random tracks in that album and changed the genre and refreshed the view, you would have the selections in exactly the same places, but with different files because the new-genre files were filtered out...

However, on my machine this behaviour is gone as well!

Code: [Select]
Media Center Registered 11.0.265 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
AMD Unknown 2207 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 544 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2900.2627 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.050309-1648) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2900.2620 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.050225-1820) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.60 (1021) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1999 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.60 (1021)

Ripping /   Drive F: SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-308B  Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: No /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive F: SAMSUNG  CDRW/DVD SM-308B   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:2  MaxSpeed:8  BurnProof:No
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2005, 12:22:24 pm »

:( Sadly this happens (the problem) for me about 90% of the time :(

EpF

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2005, 08:46:54 pm »

when in view schemes, say you had your view filtered by selecting a particular genre, then album.  If you selected some random tracks in that album and changed the genre and refreshed the view, you would have the selections in exactly the same places, but with different files because the new-genre files were filtered out...

However, on my machine this behaviour is gone as well!

Unfortunately, it is now back on my machine!  :(

It just happened exactly as I described above.  I had a smartlist of duplicated tracks with differing genres; I selected them all (20), hit 'Edit Selected Item' via the F2 button, and hit return.  Then I hit F5, and the tracks disappeared but the selection block stayed in exactly the same place, highlighting a new set of 20 tracks...

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2005, 08:59:02 am »

Still a problem in build 274 as I saw this multiple times this weekend (100% and probably 10 times in total).

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2005, 12:04:09 pm »

Unfortunately, it is now back on my machine!  :(

It just happened exactly as I described above.  I had a smartlist of duplicated tracks with differing genres; I selected them all (20), hit 'Edit Selected Item' via the F2 button, and hit return.  Then I hit F5, and the tracks disappeared but the selection block stayed in exactly the same place, highlighting a new set of 20 tracks...

This is by design.

sbsp2, we can not reproduce what you're describing.  Without more details, we won't be able to fix it.

Thanks.

EpF

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2005, 12:43:24 pm »

This is by design.

This didn't always happen, though, did it?  What purpose does it serve?

?

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2005, 01:07:56 pm »

Matt,

Ok.

Between this thread and other release threads, I gave you everything I know of and that you asked for.

I'll just live with it (I know).  I've learned to get used to it and do an extra click or something to get rid of it.

Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2005, 03:51:52 pm »

This didn't always happen, though, did it?  What purpose does it serve?

?

You're right.  Next build:
Changed: When pressing F5 in a random-style playlist, the selection would not be cleared even though the underlying files had changed.

Matt,

Ok.

Between this thread and other release threads, I gave you everything I know of and that you asked for.

I'll just live with it (I know).  I've learned to get used to it and do an extra click or something to get rid of it.

Thanks.

It's just that we're stumped.  If you can figure out any rhyme or reason to when and why it happens, please let us know.  Thanks for your patience.

EpF

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2005, 01:15:24 am »

Changed: When pressing F5 in a random-style playlist, the selection would not be cleared even though the underlying files had changed.

Thanks!

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2005, 08:41:24 am »

Still happens in 276.

All I did was:
1. Browse the Media Library and picked some 20 random tracks to play.  Used 'Add to playing now' right-click option.  I had 12 already in playing now.

2. Listened to some tracks (in Playing Now)

3. Selected the tracks 1 thru 12 in Playing Now while track 15 was playing (used left-click to select track #1 then Shift+Left-click to select tracks 2 thru 12).  Maybe this is the selection method you have to use.  Or, maybe, you have to use Shift+Down Arrow to select the tracks.

4. Pressed Delete key to remove the selected tracks from Playing Now.

5. MC left the selection marking on all the remaining Playing Now tracks except the 1st track (it never seems to leave it on the 1st/top track when this happens).

6. Seems like this problem (selection remaining) has happened to me 100% of the time for that last few days/builds.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2005, 08:56:05 am »

I've seen this happening sometimes, but what makes it a problem? What bad happens next? A selection itself does not change anything.

As far as I can see this is just cosmetics, not actually logical behavior, but also not harmful.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2005, 09:39:12 am »

I've seen this happening sometimes, but what makes it a problem? What bad happens next? A selection itself does not change anything.

As far as I can see this is just cosmetics, not actually logical behavior, but also not harmful.

With that state of mind, very few bugs should be fixed then.  Those silly drawing bugs I see fixed all time don't really effect playback so why fix them? Press Delete again (by accident) and you could potentially delete hundreds of tracks if you had hundreds selected prior.  Basically, simple bugs like this should be fixed (especially ones that would probably take 5 seconds to fix once it was deteremined what's going on).

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2005, 09:48:49 am »

We still can't reproduce this, but we shuffled the selection reset a little in the delete code.  If you could, please try build 277 and let us know what you find.

Thanks.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2005, 03:24:58 pm »

With that state of mind, very few bugs should be fixed then.  Those silly drawing bugs I see fixed all time don't really effect playback so why fix them? Press Delete again (by accident) and you could potentially delete hundreds of tracks if you had hundreds selected prior.  Basically, simple bugs like this should be fixed (especially ones that would probably take 5 seconds to fix once it was deteremined what's going on).

Hmm... I didn't say it should not be fixed. I just wanted to understand why this is important because the thing has not bothered me.

BTW, MC does not delete library entries without a confirmation. At worst, an accidental delete could affect playlists.

Edit

I can reproduce this and I could post some screenshots, but let's wait the next build first.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2005, 06:01:01 pm »

Ok, just tested with 277 and it still happens.

I did extensive testing and I think I reported this wrong earlier (or it's partly fixed).  It does not seem to happen with mouse selecections and only with keyboard selections. Try this:

1. in Playing now, use the Shift+Down Arrow combination to select multiple tracks (say 3)
2. Press the Delete key
3. 3-line selection remains after the delete (100% of the time, for me)

Does that help?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2005, 06:06:24 pm »

Ok, just tested with 277 and it still happens.

I did extensive testing and I think I reported this wrong earlier (or it's partly fixed).  It does not seem to happen with mouse selecections and only with keyboard selections. Try this:

1. in Playing now, use the Shift+Down Arrow combination to select multiple tracks (say 3)
2. Press the Delete key
3. 3-line selection remains after the delete (100% of the time, for me)

Does that help?

Thanks.  I can see it at home with those instructions.  Hopefully we'll be able to reproduce it on a development system as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up