INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: a few questions from a "newbee"  (Read 2138 times)

Stout

• Recent member
a few questions from a "newbee"
« on: May 25, 2005, 06:10:07 pm »

1. I have approx 20.000 mp3-songs. Why is it that if I Import media I get (1) in the filename?

2. I also get double listings. The same file twice in the listing, Why is that?
(I recently imported all songs and today when I clicked on \File\Library\Import Media it started to import already imported files which made it double)

3. How do I delete doubles

4. How do I capitalize the first letter in a word a tag and filename automatically?

LonWar

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: a few questions from a "newbee"
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 06:28:08 pm »

1. I have approx 20.000 mp3-songs. Why is it that if I Import media I get (1) in the filename?

(I recently imported all songs and today when I clicked on \File\Library\Import Media it started to import already imported files which made it double)

4. How do I capitalize the first letter in a word a tag and filename automatically?

For # 4,

Highlite the tracks, Right click and select:

Library Tools, Clean File Properties... There are a few things you can do in there.
-

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 07:17:11 pm »

1. I don't quite understand. Where exactly do you see this (1)?

2. Do you happen to have any playlist or cue files in your file folders? There have been some issues with them. I haven't tested the behavior recently, so I can't give exact information.

After the initial import I have used this method for importing additional files:

I rip, download, record and copy to a separate import folder. I import to MC by right-clicking the folder or its subfolders in Windows Explorer.  Right-click > Media Center > Import  (Shell Integration must be enabled in MC options)

After importing I check the new files and fix tagging. Then I use the Rename Files From Properties tool for moving the files to the correct folder structure. MC Help has more information about this.

This way I have full control over what gets added to my media library.

3. This should be one of the default smartlists: Task -- Possible duplicates. It compares the file tags and shows possible duplicates. Here is the search expression if you can't find the list under the Playlists in MC Tree:
Code: [Select]
[media type]=[audio] ~dup=[artist],[name] ~sort=[artist],[name]
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 07:32:57 pm »

If it is in the "filename" then thats what the "filename" is

Check The File Name You May See A (1) In the file name and the other one maybe without it. and in that case it would be two dif files.

you at that point can check the files and maybe delete one of them.

What Alex B Said, and then select one of the dups and delete it

Alex B - Ditto

Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Stout

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005, 04:21:58 pm »

Hi again, sorry I didn't respond 'til now.

1. I don't quite understand. Where exactly do you see this (1)?

Every actual filename in explorer (well I am using Windows Commander). I have 76 different files with the filename Alice Cooper - School's Out.mp3, they all have tracknumbers and therefore MC inserted Alice Cooper - School's Out(*).mp3

2. Do you happen to have any playlist or cue files in your file folders? There have been some issues with them. I haven't tested the behavior recently, so I can't give exact information.

I don't use playlists and does not have any. Cuefiles yes. I have lots of live-conserts with cue-files. It could be the problem?. But I think not. I've converten approx 10.000 songs from mp3 layer1 to 2 and when edited in MC I used Library Tools/Rename files from properties. After that I hade a lot of filename(1).mp3 (over 500 i guess) on the mp3-partition.

After the initial import I have used this method for importing additional files:

I rip, download, record and copy to a separate import folder. I import to MC by right-clicking the folder or its subfolders in Windows Explorer.  Right-click > Media Center > Import  (Shell Integration must be enabled in MC options)

After importing I check the new files and fix tagging. Then I use the Rename Files From Properties tool for moving the files to the correct folder structure. MC Help has more information about this.

This way I have full control over what gets added to my media library.

The way I am doing it: I am ripping to a dedicated partition F:\ Then I fix the tags and drag the folder including the ripped tracks from Drives & Devices to my mp3-partition. After that I found out that I have to use Library/Import.

3. This should be one of the default smartlists: Task -- Possible duplicates. It compares the file tags and shows possible duplicates. Here is the search expression if you can't find the list under the Playlists in MC Tree:
[media type]=[audio] ~dup=[artist],[name] ~sort=[artist],[name]

Thanks. You have solved many problems. KingSparta and justagamer too.

Anyway, with Windows Commander (now Total Commander) it's very easy to batchrename. First I do a search, then I have an option to view it in the panel, select all and use the rename utility. Very handy in a situation like the one I had. All (*) gone in just a few seconds.

Thanks again.

//Lars

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005, 05:03:03 pm »

Every actual filename in explorer (well I am using Windows Commander). I have 76 different files with the filename Alice Cooper - School's Out.mp3, they all have tracknumbers and therefore MC inserted Alice Cooper - School's Out(*).mp3

This is because Windows can't have two files in the same folder with the same name (obviously) and you don't have MC set to include the Track # (or some other file-unique piece of information) in the Filename.  Since MC doesn't want to overwrite the files, it appends the (#) to the end of each subsequent duplicate name.

To change what MC sets as the filenames by default when ripping new music, check Tools --> Options --> File Locations and set the Filename Rule.  Check the Help File if you need more information on this.

To change the Filenames of Music you've already ripped to your drive, select the files inside MC that you want to rename, right click and go to Library Tools --> Rename Files From Properties.

You can actually move the files to your MP3 partition and rename them in the same step (and avoid having to re-import) if you use the Rename Files From Properties tool.

For example, say you rip all your misic to drive F:\.  Then you tag the files correctly inside MC, and then you want to move them to your MP3 partition (for the sake of this excercize say that's in M:\mp3\.  Don't do the move inside Windows Explorer (or any custom shell) use MC to do it instead!

Instead, select the files you just finished tagging in MC.  Right click and go to Library Tools --> Rename Files from Properties.  Put the Following info in:

Directories: (check the box)
Base Path: M:\mp3\
Rule: [Artist]\[Album]

Filename: (check the box)
Rule: [Track #] - [Name]

Now, say when you did this, you had selected the entire album "Guero" by Beck.  You would end up with:

A folder inside M:\mp3\ called "Beck" with a folder inside it called "Guero".  Inside the Guero folder you'd have:

01 - E-Pro.mp3
02 - Qué Onda Guero.mp3   
03 - Girl.mp3
04 - Missing.mp3
05 - Black Tambourine.mp3
06 - Earthquake Weather.mp3
07 - Hell Yes.mp3
08 - Broken Drum.mp3
09 - Scarecrow.mp3
10 - Go It Alone.mp3
11 - Farewell Ride.mp3
12 - Rental Car.mp3
13 - Emergency Exit.mp3

Then there would be no (#) because there'd be no duplicate file names.  Understand?  If you manage your media inside MC it won't "lose" the files, so you won't have to do the re-import.

Anyway, with Windows Commander (now Total Commander) it's very easy to batchrename. First I do a search, then I have an option to view it in the panel, select all and use the rename utility. Very handy in a situation like the one I had. All (*) gone in just a few seconds.

True, but MC is much more adept at doing this itself with media files.  It's one of MC's most powerful features.  The example I gave above just scratches the surface of what you can do with file renaming rules.  You can include all kinds of conditional rules that only include pieces of information if they're populated, and all sorts of fun stuff.

Try it out and explore!   ;D
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2005, 11:48:57 pm »

I have 76 different files with the filename Alice Cooper - School's Out.mp3

Really?!?!?!? ?
pretend this is something funny

Omni

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2005, 11:56:48 pm »

Heh... I wonder if maybe someone should send that little unintentional "confession" to the RIAA people and see what happens to poor Stout.  8)

j/k

;D

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2005, 01:21:07 am »

Now, it's entirely possible that Stout just has 76 different copies of the same song.  After all, the files do have the (49) after them...

My question is why?  Why, God, why?

Stout

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2005, 04:39:07 am »

Now, it's entirely possible that Stout just has 76 different copies of the same song.  After all, the files do have the (49) after them...

My question is why?  Why, God, why?

Well, I started to  collect everything on Alice Cooper in 1972 and have approx 2-300 audiotapes with liveconcerts (mainly audience recordings). I didn't split up every concert therefore there are only about 76 School's Out. Wierd I know, but after 30 years I finally managed to sort all things out and have all music organised in one place. To tell you the truth, I stopped collect in 1989  :)

It's nice with MC that I finally have control over how many albums, songs etc I have.
1996 I converted most of my odd/rare vinylalbums and singles (any artist) to CD-R (I was a soundengineer at the time) using a Zefiro-2 audiocard. Since then I haven't played most of the albums, and I bet I will not either play to many School's Out but as it was my life to collect in the 70's and 80s I can just not throw it away, in fact my two children do listen to some of it.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2005, 10:50:46 am »

So there you go!  In your case, I'd probably tag the files with the Date of the live show (either using the date field, the Album tag, or both).  Then you could use:

Say your file had the Albums named "Live in Hershey, PA" and the Date set to the date of the concert.  You could run the tagger like this:

Directory Rule: [Artist]\[Date (Filename Friendly)] ([Album])
Filename Rule: [Artist] - [Track #] - [Name]

Matt might have even added some more advanced Date formatting options to the search interpreter... I remember many people requesting it, but I haven't used it myself yet, so I'm not sure.

Then you'd end up with:
M:\mp3\Cooper, Alice\19850722 - 120000 (Live in Hershey, PA)\Cooper, Alice - 05 - School's Out.mp3
That'd be nice because they'd all be sorted by date in Windows Explorer.  Maybe if someone knows if you can get rid of the Time in the date display, it'd be even better!

Stout

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2005, 08:04:06 am »

So there you go!  In your case, I'd probably tag the files with the Date of the live show (either using the date field, the Album tag, or both).  Then you could use:

Say your file had the Albums named "Live in Hershey, PA" and the Date set to the date of the concert.  You could run the tagger like this:

Directory Rule: [Artist]\[Date (Filename Friendly)] ([Album])
Filename Rule: [Artist] - [Track #] - [Name]

Matt might have even added some more advanced Date formatting options to the search interpreter... I remember many people requesting it, but I haven't used it myself yet, so I'm not sure.

Then you'd end up with:
M:\mp3\Cooper, Alice\19850722 - 120000 (Live in Hershey, PA)\Cooper, Alice - 05 - School's Out.mp3
That'd be nice because they'd all be sorted by date in Windows Explorer.  Maybe if someone knows if you can get rid of the Time in the date display, it'd be even better!

Thanks for you input. I did a simular formatting. I inserted:
Directory Rule: [Artist]/[Artist] - [Album]
Filename Rule: [Artist] - [Album] - [Track #] [Name]
In the album tag I wrote in the venue date like: 1975-06-16 Los Angeles, CA, Forum.

So now every track look in a way like M:\alice cooper\alice cooper - 1975-06-16 Los Angeles, CA. Forum - 05 School's Out
Pages: [1]   Go Up