INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Organizing a photo collection?  (Read 2677 times)

tristeve

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Organizing a photo collection?
« on: June 01, 2005, 09:17:39 am »

Been using MC10 (and previously MC9) to organize my music collection. Very happy with all the features and the ease of use synching with my old 2nd G iPod (am looking forward to the day when I can hook up my iPod Shuffle too ;D)

I'm curious to hear how people are using MC10 (and MC11) to organize their photo collections. i.e. tagging techniques, directory structure etc. etc. I'm currently using Adobe Photoshop Album 2.0 SE, but feel it's time to get all my media into one application.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Organizing a photo collection?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 09:36:51 am »

It would be nice if not only you can Organize But to also export it as html code to put up as a website.

along with added code to customize the pages.

but why stop there why not also allow for that code to also create html code for your media files to include coverart.

exported to local or ftp upload to a web site.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Dutch Peter

• Carpe Diem
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 11:38:00 am »

I am using Albums/Places/People/Events/DateYear as tags.
The first four are predefined in the library browser so that works.
It would be nice to configure the library browser to own needs, but thats an 'onducumented feature for MC12'.

Peter Album I have a directory en Per Event a Sub-directory.

I also Use '2005' as an Album to hold all kinds of foto's for that Year. They also get the dummy event '2005'.

I started now to fill the People tag for all pictures to be able to make nice Smartlists.

Hope this helps.

Dutch Peter
Stupid questions do not exist, only stupid answers.

IanG

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 04:45:29 pm »

It would be nice if not only you can Organize But to also export it as html code to put up as a website.

You can  - Tools /  Send To / Email/Web / Web or ftp server

I'm pretty sloppy with my filing on disk.  I have a Photos folder with subfolders for either specific events like weddings and holidays or general things like walks in the country.  I find the People/Places/Events view scheme meets most of my needs, though I may add things like Plants/Animals/Birds to keep track of the country walks stuff.

Ian G.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 04:51:56 pm »

You can  - Tools /  Send To / Email/Web / Web or ftp server

not quite the same
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2005, 02:06:16 am »

not quite the same
and the last time I tried this, the thumbnailing bit was basically not working. I'll maybe run a quick test tonight.
Jim mentioned a while back that it probably wouldn't get attention 'till maybe the next build. The impression I got was one of "If they can, they most definately will, and Jim would be pleased if they could"
so while the outlook is never guaranteed, it's certainly positive. Nice to know it's on the radar, so to speak.

-marko.

IanG

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2005, 02:31:04 am »

not quite the same

What's missing?  I haven't done this for a while, but the basic functionality was OK last time I used it. 

Ian G.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2005, 03:29:14 am »

the one thing that really missing, imvho of course, is a slider to dynamically change the thumbnail size.

Time and again when viewing thumbnails and I can't quite make something out and want to see it larger and the AW ain't cutting it, even by dragging all the way to the right, it will only run 'so' high because of the tree, and they won't show in the display window because they're not "playing", so, I need to open "customise display" set the thumbnail size, and OK back to the pictures.

Ach, perhaps just a tad bigger would have been better, but I can't be bothered with going back into customise display, so I make do. Same applies to resetting the size. It's not really what I want, but I can't be bothered going back into customise display right now, these will do for now and I'll put it back later.

It slows me down so badly, I end up using something else.

I have some pictures in my library, many albums I've created externally then imported to MC. For tagging and playback, especially integrated with an audio playlist MC is brilliant. I particularly like the "Picture Cube" and "Photo Show" 3D vizualisations. For previewing though, I find MC pretty cumbersome.

-marko.

johnnyboy

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2005, 03:35:58 am »

I've tried it and found a few workflow and GUI problems with it that for me just made it not useful or practical to use.
I ended up moving to a dedicated photo management software - it's designed more for that task and so has alot more tools and features orientated towards it
I originally thought along the lines of it'd be good to use one bit of software for all my media but then came up with the conclusion after using it for a while that:

1 bit of software designed to work with 3 medias = each media gets 1/3 of the development time (presuming all medias features are worked on equally which for MC doesn't seem to be the case as it does seem more audio based).
3 seperate bits of software for each task = each software for each media gets 100% of its development time focused on adding features for that media.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2005, 06:54:12 am »

the one thing that really missing, imvho of course, is a slider to dynamically change the thumbnail size.
I agree and we'll get it in the next version.  We've done it for another program we're working on.

For viewing larger images, try hitting enter and then enter again.  Pause slideshow with a space.

For web pages, I meant to tell you that we got the adjustable thumbnail working several builds ago.  It's set on the same page where you enter the web site and directory.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2005, 06:59:54 am »

I've tried it and found a few workflow and GUI problems with it that for me just made it not useful or practical to use.
Specific details would be useful.

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2005, 07:54:22 am »

The main features I am missing with images are

1. One of the things I definitely would like to do is to share some tagged images (photos) burned on a cd with friends. They always make nice presents. Of course I can export the images and use one of the many specialized tools available for that. Unfortunately none of them has the capacity to make use of the image tags created within MC. We spend plenty of time tagging and then we cannot make any use of them outside of MC11. That would be a big winner.

Saving combined image/audio playlists as
a.  screensaver file (*.scr),
b.  executable files (*.exe) with simple menu interface to burn on a cd
c.  make self starting dvd's to be played on a dvd player
e.  exporting images to a cycling wallpaper engine

2. Tile view of images with configurable multiline tagging info on the right

3. Also framing of images would be a great hit. A slide show simply looks nicer if the images are displayed inside nice frames. A framing engine such as: http://en.easyart.com/scripts/framing/index.ghtml?pid=7047

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2005, 08:37:30 am »

I'm getting ready to start trying to get all my images cleaned up and organized.  One of the things I'd like to do is attach notes to the images, to explain what they are, where they were taken, etc.  I'd like the ability to use MC to make a thumbnail screen with the images, post them up to my website, and have the notes be visible in some fashion, either under the images when blown up to full screen, or as a mouse over, or something.

Maybe this is already possible, I haven't looked into it yet.  If not, please add it to the wishlist.

I do like the idea of having the ability to make discs to share with friends, autorun CD's or DVD's would be great.  With music, or better yet, a voice-over explaining what they are seeing as they are seeing it.

Finally, I would REALLY REALLY like it if MC could start to seperate some of the library fields for music, images, and videos.

Genres of Travel, Wildlife, Family, etc are not very welcome in my list of music genres, nor is Alternative, Rock, etc welcome in my images drop-down lists.

I would also like the ability to auto-rename photos to have a little more flexability.  For example, in Thumbs Plus, I can tell it the main name for all the pics, and to add a numeric extension.  I can also specify how to add the numbers, as in how many digits (adds leading Zeros), what number to start with, what to do if it finds duplicates, etc.  This makes if very handy to keep things organized, which is where MC usually shines.

I'm sure I'll end up using Thumbs for much of this process, but I'll try to keep everyone posted on what it does better and why so maybe MC can incorporate some of those things.

pretend this is something funny
Pages: [1]   Go Up