INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Creative Zen transfer list lost  (Read 2192 times)

johnnyboy

• Citizen of the Universe
Creative Zen transfer list lost
« on: May 28, 2005, 07:14:36 pm »

I just tried this with my Creative Zen and to be honest, the biggest drawback I found is that it lost my transfer list.
I spent like an hour working out all the albums I wanted to put onto it (which was extremely easy to do by the way) and then hit transfer or whatever, and it came up with a box saying something about duplicates did I want to continue, so I said yes, then it said some files had errors or something, so I clicked ok or whatever it was. I cant remember exactly.
Anyway, then it went back to the program, and it had reset the list of files I had lined up to transfer.
I just lost an hours worth of work.

I dont know if its a bug or by design or whatever, but after I, or anyone else for that matter, spends all that time making a big list of files to transfer to my mp3 player, the program should never, under any circumstances in my opinion, take it upon itself to wipe off that list and get rid of it. I just lost an hour of my time and a lot of effort.
If it wants to get rid of my list at the very least it needs to ask me so I can say no, but to be honest, I dont see why I would ever want a program to get rid of and clear a list I just spent hours making unless I tell it I want it to get rid of it.

Sorry for sounding a bit harsh but I just lost over an hour of my weekend and hopefully this can be taken constructively to improve/fix this feature/bug.

Also, to top it off, the transfer started slowing down after around 180 files, then basically just hung there and didn't continue so I went back to Notmad Explorer which transfered all 3800 perfectly in one go with no hitches.

One final other point while I'm here, I also had problems with Notmad Explorer while I had your software open. After a bit of experimentation I found that while your software is open, it automatically connects to my zen and I couldn't see any way to disconnect it or to tell your software to just leave my zen alone. With Notmad theres an option to 'connect' or 'disconnect'. In the end I had to kill your program just so that I could let Notmad connect which was a bit annoying as it meant I couldn't use it to listen to music in. It also means that my Zen stays powered on while connected to the computer and in USB mode and I cant use it normally because it is always in 'talking to pc' mode so I cant use it as a player.

LonWar

Re: Major drawback's in MediaCenter11
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005, 07:38:03 pm »

If your taking that long to create a transfer list, you should save it as a Playlist, then transfer it. It'll save you time if the program has a glitch or 2.
-

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2005, 12:11:59 am »

I just tried this with my Creative Zen and to be honest, the biggest drawback I found is that it lost my transfer list.

You can transfer any list, like a playlist to any device that is recognized. So, build your transfer list as a playlist and it will always be there even if your power drops or your machine locks. That is probably not clear without a visit here, right clicking items in the tree to see what options you see, or reading the help file.

Also, to top it off, the transfer started slowing down after around 180 files, then basically just hung there and didn't continue so I went back to Notmad Explorer which transfered all 3800 perfectly in one go with no hitches.

One final other point while I'm here, I also had problems with Notmad Explorer while I had your software open. After a bit of experimentation I found that while your software is open, it automatically connects to my zen and I couldn't see any way to disconnect it or to tell your software to just leave my zen alone. With Notmad theres an option to 'connect' or 'disconnect'. In the end I had to kill your program just so that I could let Notmad connect which was a bit annoying as it meant I couldn't use it to listen to music in. It also means that my Zen stays powered on while connected to the computer and in USB mode and I cant use it normally because it is always in 'talking to pc' mode so I cant use it as a player.

I am kinda slow, why would I want to be playing music with MC and with the portable at the same time?

I agree that a device should not always be 'claimed' by MC. The more important question would be why the transfer was so slow using MC in my opinion.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2005, 04:18:11 am »

I dont see how a playlist should be any different to the playlist I was compiling for the portable? If it can save the playlist if the machine locks then surely it can save the portable playlist?

Exactly, there is no difference. So why not use a playlist and transfer it to the portable?

Nolonemo

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm still a malla!
Re: Creative Zen transfer list lost
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 05:04:19 pm »

Here's a link to a forum thread about setting up a smartlist to manage what's on the Zen (the author has an iPod, but it works the same for the Zen).  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=22729.0

This takes a little while to set up, but will accomplish two things:
1. makes it easy to see what you have loaded on the Zen, and
2. makes it easy to add or remove stuff from the Zen.

SteveG

Re: Creative Zen transfer list lost
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 11:34:16 am »

johnnyboy,

When connected to your Nomad, MC will never delete a playlist from MC. If you are adding tracks to the ActionBin to transfer to your Nomad, this is not a playlist, but just a temporary storage of tracks that potentially will be sent. If you are going to spend time organizing your tracks to send to Nomad, you should definitely do that from within MC as a playlist or a smartlist.

it automatically connects to my zen

Not true unless you have selected autosync. Without that enabled, MC does not connect to your Zen until you select it in the MC tree or select it in the Action Window.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up