INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems connecting I-pod photo  (Read 3284 times)

dangiles

• Recent member
Problems connecting I-pod photo
« on: June 06, 2005, 12:34:47 pm »

? Hello. I have just bought an ipod photo and am having problems getting MC 11.0.270  to recognise it. I have also heard that there is no way of uploading photos directly from MC. Is this correct?
 thanks
 DAN GILES

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Problems connecting I-pod photo
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 01:12:04 pm »

Hello Dan,

Can you elaborate on the problems you are having getting MC to recognize it?

If you don't mind losing your data on iPod, right click on the iPod in the tree and select 'Initialize' and then things should be better.

There is currently no way to upload photos directly to the iPod.

Steve

dangiles

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 01:37:27 pm »

Hi Steve. The Ipod is connected via USB2 port and flashing a big do not disconnect sign. I have found it in the MC tree but the right click does not bring about any option to initialise. I have heard that this may need to be done via i-tunes.?
  Thanks
 DAN

SteveG

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2005, 03:15:33 pm »

Try doing a 'restore' on the iPod with the iPod updater.

Also, using Explorer, browse on the iPod and look for a folder called iPod_Control. You should definitely see this folder if MC is going to recognize your iPod correctly.

dangiles

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2005, 04:07:39 pm »

Hi Steve, I have browsed the i-pod to see what files are there> There only seems to be 3. Contacts, notes and calendar.
 I don't understand what you mean by an i-pod updater and so a restore on one seems a little beyond me. You'll have to excuse my ignorance. On the positive side I have checked my device manager that says the i-pod is working as a mass storage device. But still my i-pod flashes with those same three words that it has flashed at me every second for the past 24 hours. Please help as this could tip me over the edge of the digital devices i so wanted to embrace!? :-\

SteveG

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2005, 05:14:26 pm »

The iPod updater is available from Apple's website and is capable of erasing your iPod and applying it's factory settings. In the past I have also been able to using Windows Explorer right click on my iPod and select 'Format' and then unplug and replug in my iPod and have all work well. I have not tried this with my iPod photo.

Steve

pank2002

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2005, 05:57:22 pm »

Don't use windows format! There's some horrible stories floating around.

As Steve said go grab the newest firmware. It will install a program on your PC called 'iPod updater [some date]'. Run it and select reinstall software or something similar.

Once you have reinstalled the firmware start MC. It should recognize the iPod and ask you if it may be initialized, as far as I recall. Otherwise go to Option > handheld > reset. A wizard should be launched helping you through.

Cheers,
Rasmus
Music is life... the rest is details.
Here is a security related website: secubi.dk

SteveG

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2005, 10:01:21 am »

Rasmus,

Thanks for the post. What kind of horrible stories? Specific to the iPod Photo? I have never had problems with this.

Steve

pank2002

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2005, 12:28:47 pm »

I guess it's true for all iPods including the photo. For concrete stories do a search on iPodlounge's forum.

Here is the word from iPodlounge and Apple respectively.

http://ipodlounge.com/index.php/faqs/comments/my-ipod-is-messed-up-and-i-want-to-start-over-how-should-i-format-it/

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60957

Music is life... the rest is details.
Here is a security related website: secubi.dk

groovedaddy

• Recent member
  • Stay still so I can hack your arm off...
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2005, 10:27:24 am »

Dan, if after reformatting through iPod updater and still having problems, try this...

Open iTunes and select Edit > Preferences. In the iPod tab, you should have an option to Enable Disk Use. Make sure this is clicked.

I had an issue similar to yours (the complete thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=27192.0) and after twiddling around, I now have MC11 and my iPod working together quite well. Beyond doing what Steve recommended, this was the only thing that I did differently. If it does work, let us know. Might be worth a sticky since this issue seems to be popping up more lately.
Still partying like it's 999.

SteveG

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2005, 02:25:22 pm »

groovedaddy,

Thanks for the attention to this.

Steve

groovedaddy

• Recent member
  • Stay still so I can hack your arm off...
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2005, 09:51:22 pm »

Well, after all the trouble I gave you chaps last time, I figure I could try and help out.  ;D
Still partying like it's 999.

dangiles

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2005, 02:05:20 am »

Sorry people. Still not happening. I installed the ipod updater and MC still doesn't do the business in recognising it as a handheld device or any other such device.
 I went into i-tunes and enable disc use is clicked. Where now?? I-tunes has recognised the ipod if that has any bearing.
 thanks for the help so far.
 DAN

SteveG

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2005, 12:38:09 pm »

Dan,

What operating system do you have?

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2005, 06:43:48 am »

Dan, click on "Help/system info" in MC and paste it on the board. Make sure you have a recent version of MC. And, when you say it isnt being recognised properly what do you mean? It is in the tree in MC but you cant see the "initialize ipod" option? If you click handhelds in the action window, does it bring up the synch window?

Chris Shaw

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2005, 09:58:25 am »

Sorry people. Still not happening. I installed the ipod updater and MC still doesn't do the business in recognising it as a handheld device or any other such device.

Simply installing the updater isn't enough. You have to connect your iPod, then run Restore, as described here:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60983#Two
I had a similar problem when I first got my iPod photo. MC would see it, but kept saying that it needed to be initalised. I tried formatting it, messed it up and did a restore. Since then everything's worked fine. I think it came with a Mac filesystem on it and MC didn't like the way MacDrive was mounting it. The restore reformatted the drive with a FAT32 filesystem

dangiles

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2005, 12:03:26 pm »

OK The story so far........ I have connected the iPod. MC had it in the drives and devices. I tried opening handhelds but it said that nothing was connected. I got into iTunes and told it not to open when the iPod was connected. Still no joy. I downloaded the iPod updater, updated and restored and tried again in media center. I have never witnessed this initialise iPod option. If only as it seems this is the last remaining hurdle before complete multimedia domination!
 Thanks again for all the posts people> Muchly appreciated>
 DAN

SteveG

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2005, 12:12:50 pm »

Dan,

Unplug your iPod. Open MC and go to Tools->Options->Handheld and click on the 'Reset' button.

Plug in your iPod. MC should ask if you want to recognize it as a 'Portable device'. Say yes. It should appear in the tree. You should be able then to click on it and see files. Then you should be able to right click on it and select 'Intialize iPod'.

Thnen you should be good to go.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up