INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT- Native/Unbreakable DRM  (Read 902 times)

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
OT- Native/Unbreakable DRM
« on: June 08, 2005, 07:32:53 am »

Ooooh! The wheel is grinding an ever finer meal.

"Microsoft and the entertainment industry's holy grail of controlling copyright through the motherboard now comes closer as Intel said it is embedding digital rights management within in its latest dual-core processor Pentium D and accompanying 945 chip set."

Complete story is here:
http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,121027,00.asp

Also has 'cool' new features that allow monitoring and control of systems regardless of OS.
Neat things like remote IDE control too!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: OT- Native/Unbreakable DRM
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 10:48:21 am »

We'll see how the market responds to it, and how "unbreakable" the DRM really is.  After all, they've said that before...

From what I've read, the new DRM approach seems evolutionary rather than revolutionary, and that there will still be signifigant "security holes" in the chain. For example, the computer will still have Digital Output PCMCIA capability, and they can't "secure" the digital out without breaking compatibility with current speaker and stereo systems.

I don't know about you, but I'm not going to buy a new stereo system just so I can help the RIAA maintain their illegal perpetual copyright on new material.  I'll buy a nForce 4 motherboard (for Socket 939) instead, thanks.  Oh yeah, and it'll outperform anything intel will bring out on the 945 boards anyway...

To me, it seems that all this DRM posturing has very, very little to do with Piracy, and everything to do with a) controlling the distribution medium of  "content", and b) end-running the Constitution and extending copyright protection from "essentially forever" to "effectively forever".  Think about it, no more unapproved sampling.  No more "Peanuts/Outkast" videos (without payola).  No more public domain works (since the copyright will expire, but the DRM will not, and DMCA says it's illegal to break the DRM).  No more musical creativity outside of the corporate "profit driven" model...  Since, everything is really based on what came before.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 11:02:26 am »

We'll see how the market responds to it, and how "unbreakable" the DRM really is.  After all, they've said that before...

From what I've read, the new DRM approach seems evolutionary rather than revolutionary, and that there will still be signifigant "security holes" in the chain. For example, the computer will still have Digital Output PCMCIA capability, and they can't "secure" the digital out without breaking compatibility with current speaker and stereo systems.

Well, the 'market' will buy what is out there, and with laws/regulations requiring this sort of junk you soon won't have a choice. An nVidia board is not going to save anyone.
Buying a nice new motherbaord, soundcard, video card, TV tuner and taking very good care of them will.

As for backwards compatibility, new(er) equipment will simply see if the signal will be protected down the line. If not, no signal will be output. Easy, simple. Break your existing setup? Since when is that a drawback for hardware makers?

I agree "we've heard this before". But not when it comes to the BIOS and chipsets themselves. That becomes a much harder thing to hack around since it is loaded/checked at POST.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 01:38:31 pm »

I agree "we've heard this before". But not when it comes to the BIOS and chipsets themselves. That becomes a much harder thing to hack around since it is loaded/checked at POST.

i have not heard about protection at the BIOS level before either.

But i have a feeling this won't see the light of day. IT sounds like to me, you better buy all the existing stock right now else you wont be able to in the future. WHoah...time to start hoarding.

The only ppl in the market for this will be "maybe" corporates as this will help them to lock down thier boxes more effectively.

For the general public...hmmm.

Nah...broadcast flag..that did not get very far.
Pages: [1]   Go Up