INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestion for Video Playback FF/REW  (Read 2072 times)

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Suggestion for Video Playback FF/REW
« on: June 08, 2005, 11:35:09 pm »

My PVR software has a really usefuly feature where you can set the number of seconds it skips forward or back when you press the FF/REW buttons.

When playing back recorded TV it makes it really useful to be able to skip forward in 30 second jumps to skip the adverts which here in Australai all tend to be 30 seconds long.

Can I suggest/request this as an option for MC11/12?

Thanks
Richard

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Suggestion for Video Playback FF/REW
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 01:39:37 pm »

The feature will be added, maybe after the release of 11.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 06:16:28 pm »

Excellent news.

Thanks Yaobing
Richard

Chris Shaw

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 09:50:03 am »

An option for FF/REW keys to work like a VCR would be great too. i.e One press of FF starts skipping 1 sec at a time, press again and starts skipping 2 sec, then 4 then 8 etc. Pressing REW would slow the skip speed, then eventually reverse it. When you're where you want to be, you press Play and playback resumes. As it is, finding your place 1 hour into a movie file is way slow.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2005, 01:19:17 pm »

An option for FF/REW keys to work like a VCR would be great too. i.e One press of FF starts skipping 1 sec at a time, press again and starts skipping 2 sec, then 4 then 8 etc. Pressing REW would slow the skip speed, then eventually reverse it. When you're where you want to be, you press Play and playback resumes.
You must have a different VCR from mine. Mine does not do what you described.  :D

As it is, finding your place 1 hour into a movie file is way slow.
Clicking FF button multiple times DOES increase the FF speed. I think it nearly does do what you described above. We are talking about TV right? You can go up to 100 times the normal speed. So it only takes 20 seconds to seek through a half-hour buffer (by the way, that is the max amount of buffering you can have).
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Chris Shaw

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2005, 03:04:03 pm »

I'm talking about AVI's, like my ripped DVD collection. At the moment, I have to hold down FF for about 2 min to get 1 hour into a movie.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2005, 03:05:14 pm »

How about next track?  It should jump to the next chapter.

Chris Shaw

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2005, 04:13:19 pm »

I tend to rip to one big DivX AVI. I don't know of an easy way to rip each chapter to a separate AVI file, and anyway, the pause between each chapter would probably be annoying. I could just rip the VOB files, but they take up a lot of space.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2005, 04:22:35 pm »

Can you use the slider on the progress bar?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2005, 05:14:00 pm »

I don't think chapters are supported with AVI containers. The slider works somehow, but it is difficult to find exact positions using it if the video is over 30 minutes or so.

I have ripped many DVDs to Divx/DD AVI. The quality is OK, but the container format is old and doesn't support any advanced functions.

The Matroska container format, which I have written about a couple of times, supports these:

- Fast seeking in the file
- High error recovery
- Chapter entries
- Selectable subtitle streams
- Selectable audio streams
- Modularly Extendable
- Streamable over internet (HTTP and RTP audio & video streams)
- Menus (like DVDs have)
- Advanced tagging system
- File attachments
- About all modern A/V codecs

There are not many compatible players yet, but I think that will change soon. In my opinion JRiver should consider adding support for Matroska. It is a viable alternative to the MP4 container format used e.g. by Nero.

Some links:
www.matroska.org
forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=54306
www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showforum=47
http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=matroska_MKV_Codec
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

bbrip

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2005, 05:32:12 pm »

Yes, and not to forget the wonderful Nero MP4 AVC format, which supports not only chapters, you can even get them proper names to find your way quickly to favorite scenes.

Again. would be great to see Nero supported in MC12

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2005, 06:55:17 pm »

In my opinion JRiver should consider adding support for Matroska. It is a viable alternative to the MP4 container format used e.g. by Nero.

Matroska (MKV) and OGG video conatainers are definately the way forward. I asked Matt about chapter support in MC for these formats a while ago but I guess he couldn't get around to it for this release http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=25270.0

Can you use the slider on the progress bar?

Jim, unfortunately this is next to useless when you're in Theater View with only a remote.

For what it's worth, I've found a "workaround" to some of MC's current video seek inadequacies which I've been using successfully for some time now. It's called ffdshow - http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow. I use this as the primary video playback codec on my machine and it has a very nice "keys and remote" feature which allows you to map additional keyboard shortcuts (which you can then assign to your remote) to it's own FF/REW processing engine. It also has an excellent OSD feature which can show you movie time and system resource info all with the press of a button.

I use the standard MC seek controls (Ctrl+left arrow/right arrow) for the 5 second advance in conjunction with a larger 120 second ffdshow key map (assigned to the next/prev chapter button on my remote).

Yes, it's by no means true chapter support but it makes for a more pleasant video watching experience while we pray for better native support in MC  ;)
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

Chris Shaw

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2005, 08:21:40 pm »

Jim, unfortunately this is next to useless when you're in Theater View with only a remote.

Took the words right out of my mouth. I already use ffdshow, so I'll have to try this. Thanks for the tip.
Pages: [1]   Go Up