INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stream Live Audio to TiVo and UPnP Servers  (Read 1995 times)

Marc

• World Citizen
  • Filthy Monkey
Stream Live Audio to TiVo and UPnP Servers
« on: July 03, 2005, 11:25:55 pm »

Question for you,

I've got my XM Roady2 connected to my computer via my sound card's line-in port.  When I want to hear XM through my computer, I just unmute the Line-In and then it's XM live through my computer's THX speakers - nice.  Since I've got this excellent signal source running through my computer, I got to thinking about streaming it to my TiVo's, my Netgear MP101 (via the UPnP Server), etc.

How might I accomplish this?  It would be excellent to be able to listen to MLB or whatever all over my house.

Thanks for any advice you might be able to provide.

Marc
THAT's what I'm talking about.

Marc

• World Citizen
  • Filthy Monkey
Re: Stream Live Audio to TiVo and UPnP Servers
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2005, 12:30:48 am »

THAT's what I'm talking about.

Myron

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2005, 04:20:41 pm »

Question for you,

I've got my XM Roady2 connected to my computer via my sound card's line-in port.  When I want to hear XM through my computer, I just unmute the Line-In and then it's XM live through my computer's THX speakers - nice.  Since I've got this excellent signal source running through my computer, I got to thinking about streaming it to my TiVo's, my Netgear MP101 (via the UPnP Server), etc.

How might I accomplish this?  It would be excellent to be able to listen to MLB or whatever all over my house.

Thanks for any advice you might be able to provide.

Marc

Sounds like a great idea!

As far as I know, MC won't do this.  The UPnP server only works on files stored on a drive.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2005, 04:48:57 pm »

We'll take a look at doing this in the next version.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 12:41:52 am »

It's one thing to just pipe an audio signal through a mixer.  It's another thing entirely to capture the audio source, digitize it and send it out again as a digital stream.   Also consider the latency hassles if you wanted to even *dream* about having that signal be even close to real time or want to sync it across more than one output zone.  Buffering up a bunch of output streams from a disk file is hard but nowhere near as hard as a live source.  Not if you also expect something might be listening to the live source and need to sync with it.

Better, perhaps, just to have a direct digital source of the stream and buffer it all from there first before going to any outputs.  That way they'd all be reasonably close to the same offset from the actual live source.
Pages: [1]   Go Up