INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transferring to smartphone  (Read 2687 times)

sherbs

• World Citizen
Transferring to smartphone
« on: June 09, 2005, 08:24:04 am »

I want to put some music on my smartphone but can't find a way of transferring to Storage Card/My Documents/Music.

All I seem able to do is transfer to the Storage Card and I'd rather not have them scattered all over the place.

Is this possible?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Transferring to smartphone
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 08:48:06 am »

Have you explored the options during transfer?

Are you using MC11?  Latest build?

We'll make this work somehow.  Phone support is important for us so we expect to work in this area soon.

sherbs

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 10:26:36 am »

I'm using version .286

Options gives me the chance to configure folders but Drives and Devices isn't in the tree.

Thought there might be a right-click option but that just reanalyses devices.

MC won't allow me to drag a file to the Music folder when it's expanded.

One more little problem, I plugged the phone in while MC was open. This led to both MC and Active Synch looking for the phone and consequently neither could find it. Had to close MC and let the phone synch with AS before it would work.

SteveG

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 12:41:41 pm »

sherbs,

When your phone is connected to your PC, try going to Tools->Options->Handheld->Configure remote and fixed drives. Browse to the directory on your phone where you want to transfer data. Name this something and then it should show up in the tree and be accesible.

Steve

sherbs

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 01:22:57 pm »

Steve,

I can't browse to my phone because it is not in the tree in Configure remote and fixed drives. Should Drives and Devices be in the tree?

SteveG

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005, 01:57:08 pm »

To clarify....

In Windows Explorer, you see 'Drives and Devices' and under that you can see your specific device. When browsing in MC unter Tools->Options->Handheld->Configure.... you see neither 'Drives and Devices' nor your device. Right?

If that is the case we do not currently have a solution but can look into this.

Steve

sherbs

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2005, 02:02:11 pm »

You got it.

SteveG

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2005, 02:37:32 pm »

Thanks.

bigcuedaddy

• Junior Woodchuck
  • computers are just a fad
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2005, 11:18:02 am »

Same with my Treo. I tried to setup using a folder on desktop as a fixed drive for detection and transfer, and then could just hot sync using that folder, but it always errored out. When setting up this route, here is the part I dont completely understand:

You would enter the path of the device, a Display Name, a Playlist Path (to synchronize with a playlist) and a Playlist Filepath (the name of the path that goes into the playlist itself; for example, the path that appears within a m3u file). This feature can be used to treat a fixed drive as a device, or for synching two PCs.

Whats the difference between a "playlist path" and a "playlist filepath"? How are these different from just a folder ?

Having a direct conduit from MC11 to a smartphone would be brilliant. Any chances?

?

SteveG

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2005, 07:19:24 pm »

Playlist path is a path where the playlists will be created. Playlist filepath is the naming scheme for the files in the playlist.

Having a direct conduit from MC11 to a smartphone would be brilliant. Any chances?

Possible but potentially difficult as there is no standard for how phones present themselves to PCs.

runemail

• World Citizen
  • Soft Rock
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2005, 03:36:49 pm »

This can be a nice feature.

It would be really great to have a light MC-mobile edition running on symbian and pocket pc smart-phones. And connect to MC-server via wi-fi or 3G to stream or update remotely(or preview and download expensive new ringtones), and also be used as a remote when  at home. Some day .....

Penfold

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Lunchlady Doris, have ye got ony grease?
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2005, 05:44:36 pm »

I guess it's all about being seen by Windows as a storage drive that's the key...

My S65 & SX1 phones both have MMC/RS-MMC therefore a card reader is perfect for MP3s ebooks & the like.

(I have a USB 'stick' that your SD/MMC/RS-MMC plugs into, is the size of & works like a regular USB memory stick/card reader. I'd strongly recommend one if you can find them, saves a bunch of cables for t'camera etc when travelling).

However my RazrV3(internal mem) & Zodiac 2 Palm based PDA(SD/MMC) does not appear in Windows without installing their software (thus negating the use of MC) & therefore mp3s etc have to be sync'ed via their own software.

Even better they ALL use different proprietary software to SYNC with my PC, even my 2 Siemens phones. Best of all the only common interface appears to be Outlook & that just loves multiple phone sync'ing [/sarcasm]

So for MC to work with everything, it would need to be compatible with:
(by compatible I mean not only moving files but sync'ing)
Palm
PocketPC
Symbian
Linux Handheld (A few handset/PDAs are due out soon)
mRouter
Popular mobile manufacturers
(EG Nokia, Sony Ericsson, Siemens & Motorola at the very least)
etc etc

THEN how exactly will you sync it, via Bluetooth, Datacable (USB or Serial), irda or some other method.

If you want 'mobile MC' then it has to work with all of the above also...

If it has memory only onboard then chances are it'll want it's own sync'ing software.
BUT, looking out for an SD/MMC/Other Memory Card solution in most gadgets I buy seems to guarantee general inter-operability & MC compatibility.

Which is fair enough, I doubt even Steve could keep up with all the gadgets as they are released.

And me, I find it much less hassle taking the card out & transferring it to my PC. Besides with a 1-2Gb SD it's much faster outwith the native device.

The problem in the future are things like the Palm LifeDrive, as it's got it's own teeny tiny hd, just like the mini iPod, try hotswapping that & seeing how far you get...

It's a helluva task!

Mind you, if MC could do all this & become the Swiss Army Knife (yes I do know there's a 1Gb USB swiss army knife out now lol) of all things music, video, image, handheld, phone etc then it's got a much better chance than Brain of taking over the world!

SteveG

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2005, 08:06:42 pm »

Penfold,

Thanks for the post.  It outlines a real world example of where we need to head while acknowledging the inherent difficulties in making it a reality. We will try.

Or perhaps we will just buy you a turntable for your old LPs and tell you to stop making trouble  ;)

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up