INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't Record  (Read 1664 times)

EtyGuy

• Recent member
Can't Record
« on: June 09, 2005, 06:51:54 pm »

I am unable to record audio with MC 11.0.261.
I a Gateway 832GM running Windows XP Media Center V5.1.2600 SP2

I have plugged in my audio source to the line-in jack on both the front and back of the PC.  I can hear it fine through the speakers and can also record it with the Windows Sound Recorder, but MC does not 'hear' any sound.  Auto Volume adjustment returns an error of "No sound was detected".

Recording Device:  RealTek HD Audio rear input
Recording Source: Line -in
I've also tried Microphone and Mixer.  Nothing works

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
EtyGuy

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Can't Record
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 08:22:20 am »

MC Help has info on recording.  There's also a FAQ on it here.

EtyGuy

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2005, 06:26:46 am »

Nothing irks me more than people who don't make the slightest bit of effort to look at the help or search forums before asking for assistance.  That is something I would never do.

Before posting my query I looked at the help.  Nicely and clearly written but it didn't help me.  I came onto this forum and went to the FAQ post at this link:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=10029.0

Partway into the message there is this text:
More Frequently Asked Questions can be found under Help / FAQ above.

Well, I looked all over that page, above and below and I couldn't find any FAQ about recording, so if there is something on this site, please provide a direct link.

I also did a search of forum messages for "record" and found a description at this link: 
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=25449.0
Sadly, my version of windows doesn't have a "what you hear" choice in the mixer, so this didn't help me either.

I have gone into the properties for the recording control in windows and enabled all the input controls I could:  Stereo Mix, CD Volume, Line in, Microphone.  I set their volume level to the max.  I tried every combination in the media center interface.  Nothing works.  And as I said before, windows sound recorder works just fine.

So, I really need some help.  Is there something I have missed?  This stuff used to work fine with MC9 on my old pc, but it doesn't work on this new one.

EtyGuy

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2005, 05:57:44 am »

Hello?  Is there anyone out there?  This still doesn't work.

EtyGuy

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 07:52:09 am »

Cough.  ?

skidoo

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2005, 07:56:56 am »

See, this is why I need to go to Smartasses Anonymous. Threads like this are just too tempting.

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2005, 09:13:06 am »

Sorry you're having trouble getting recording to work. Here's a link to line-in recording help:
http://www.mediajukebox.com/how_to.html

Is there more than one device listed in the "Recording device:" drop down box in MC? If so, try the other one.
With the "Recording source:" set to Mixer and all the inputs selected as shown on the help page referenced above, you really *should* be able to get some sound through MC.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

jara

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2005, 03:30:01 am »

I am also having problems recording from Line-In. If "Rip And Encode Simultaneously" in encoder settings is not enabled MC crashes when it detects sound. This happens no matter how the other recording and encoder options are configured. This means that I can't use "Normalize before encoding" since this option only works if "Rip And Encode Simultaneously" is disabled. Maybe this problem is related to your problem. Have you enabled "Rip And Encode Simultaneously"?

-Jara-

EtyGuy

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2005, 06:13:21 am »

JohnT
Thanks for your reply.  The link you provided didn't help.  I'd already tried those things.  However, I have solved the problem. 

The problem is the Auto Volume Adjustment doesn't work and gives a misleading error messge stating that it can't detect any audio.  If I ignore it and set the volume level manually, it works fine.   I can set the level anywhere between 5 and 100% and I still get a recording so I don't know what's up with the auto adjustment.  It starts at 50% and moves up to 100% before failing.

Thanks again for your reply.

Jara,
I have "Rip and Encode Simultaneously" enabled and it made no difference with my problem.  After reading your message, I played with all three check boxes in various combinations and it did not affect my problem.   Hope you can find a solution.

EtyGuy
Pages: [1]   Go Up