INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ripping Errors in 8.0.382  (Read 925 times)

boliver

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Ripping Errors in 8.0.382
« on: October 08, 2002, 07:46:46 pm »

If you don't play music and you don't do anything on the PC during the ripping process, I found the Secure rip to be pretty accurate (as compared to Exact Audio Copy)

But if you play music and/or do anything else on the computer, errors creep into the output - I checked this using the Wav compare feature of EAC.

Is there any way to make this work?  I don't like the hassle of using EAC but it seems to be unfazed by having to compete for CPU.

BubbaMike

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Ripping Errors in 8.0.382
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2002, 08:42:27 pm »

What are the hassles of EAC? I've found it to be a simple program once it is set up.

boliver

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2002, 08:45:58 pm »

Hassles of EAC?

1.  It is REALLY Slow.

2.  I have to tell Media Jukebox that a new CD has been encoded before it will recognize it - i.e. if you encode in MJ directly it updates its database automatically.

3.  Everything in the same program is neat a clean - something of value for a Kiosk-like installation in my living room.

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2002, 04:57:55 am »

Is the problem on all CD's, or just badly scratched ones? If they're scratched, can you be sure the EAC version is correct and the MJ version incorrect? Can you hear glitches on the MJ version and not on the EAC version?

I'm just trying to gather information to assist me in making MJ the best ripper, which is our goal.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

BubbaMike

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2002, 05:04:03 am »

1: Accuracy has its cost. In this case it is speed. The fastest app for ripping and encoding isn't the best. In my experience that is MMJB.

2: How big a hassle is this?

3: A Swiss Army Knife has it's uses but in the kitchen I'd rather have a chiefs knife and various other knifes.

4: For music I've found nothing better than Feurio for making CDs.

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2002, 05:11:02 am »

BubbaMike-

In the interest of helping us improve MJ, what do you see as the advantages of EAC over MJ for ripping? Have you found glitches in MJ's secure mode that prevent you from trusting it?

As far as Feurio, what are it's advantages for your burning needs compared to MJ?

It's great to get perspectives from different users.

Thanks,
John T.
JRiver, Inc.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

boliver

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2002, 10:02:35 am »

Here is the methodology I used in testing the MJ Ripper:

I used two versions of the same CD (One brand new and one older and badly scratched) and tested it two times by both MJ(secure mode) and EAC (secure mode).  This is a total of 2 x 2 x 2  =  8 tests.  The first four tests done while the rest of the computer was idle.  The next four were done while I tried to “stress” the computer as much as possible – moving windows, playing music, opening applications etc.  Here is a summary:

1.      MJ, computer idle, new CD
2.      EAC, computer idle, new CD
3.      MJ, computer idle, old CD
4.      EAC, computer idle, old CD
5.      MJ, computer stressed, new CD
6.      EAC, computer stressed, new CD
7.      MJ, computer stressed, old CD
8.      EAC, computer stressed, old CD

I used the .wav’s created from 2. above as the no error reference.  MJ was always faster in execution of the ripping process than EAC.

What I found was this:

When the computer was idle, there was not a significant difference in performance between EAC and MJ
a.      With the new CD, both rips were clean as tested against the EAC, idle, new CD reference.
b.      The old CD produced similar errors in both EAC and MJ.  On some tracks EAC produced more errors and on others MJ produced more errors.

When the computer was being stressed, the results from EAC were more or less the same as when the computer was idle.  BUT… MJ created random errors in the .WAV when the computer was being stressed.

The last line is the spoiler for me.  Is there anything the Media Jukebox developers can do to make the ripper output absolutely consistent regardless of what is going on in the rest of the computer?  I STRONGLY prefer to use Media Jukebox from a convenience point of view – auto database update, auto cover art download, integrated interface etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up