INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: back up to disc  (Read 1239 times)

ginty32

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I guess after 8 years I could type something.
back up to disc
« on: July 01, 2005, 01:30:47 am »

I want to put my files on a cd for backup in the event my external hd dies.  Is there a way to queue all the files so I can start and stop and not lose my place.  I've tried to keep sellecting 700mb at a time, but I always lose my place.  I need to burn about 60-70 discs, so this is a process that will take me some time.  Any suggestions?

Jaqqe

• World Citizen
Re: back up to disc
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2005, 07:55:31 am »

I need to burn about 60-70 discs, so this is a process that will take me some time.  Any suggestions?
Yes, buy a DVD burner...  ;D
Money... no, chocolate makes the world go round. Even here in Finland.

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005, 09:49:29 am »

It's cheaper to buy one or two external hard disks and attach them via USB2 when you need to backup and store it away afterwards!

ginty32

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I guess after 8 years I could type something.
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2005, 04:41:20 pm »

Thanks every one.  I know a backup drive would work, but I can't help but fear something will happen to it.  I do need to upgrade to the dvd burner, but soon as I do that the Bluray burners will be out(or the HD dvd burners).

Thanks again.

modelmaker

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2005, 05:23:43 pm »

I use 3 drives for storing and backing up. The chances of all 3 dying at once is pretty slim. One drive is internal, the other 2 rotate between backing up and serving as the hard drive for my car system.

The cost was certainly worth it when you consider the cost of all the CDs and the time involved keeping that all organized and then you have to store all those CDs (and their life expectancy is not all that great either, 5-10 yrs depending on brand and quality, but that's a whole other can of worms!).
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

jolo

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2005, 01:25:56 am »

Well for one thing, a good DVD burner like this LITEON for $45 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827106964.
Prices have tumbled so much on blank DVD media that blank CDs and DVDs cost about the same. 
If you plan to archive you backups for a good length of time, then you also would want to look at the quality of the blank media.  If it is a short time, it really doesn't matter much. I personally like to use Taiyo Yuden (Fuji film is usually TY as well). Their of course are different opinions about blank media, but for realability over a years,  the better vendors (don't use CMC created media), media are made to hold on to that magnetic data for decades.

I feel strongly that the best way to back CDs up, is to create Image files using MC 11 or the new Nero first, then use a simple data backup or backup software to archive to DVD. 

There was a good comment about the cost of an additional disk drive. I have a portable USB "case", which connects to a USB port, then I can purchase an inexpensive IDE drive, put it in the case, plug it into a USB II port and backup. The advantage of this method for me is that I can stick in any type of IDE drive and KEEP IT OFFLINE, outside of my PC. Also, in an emergency, it can be read and restored on any PC that has an open USB II port.

Then when stored off, you are storing an exact copy of the original.

Jolo
Pages: [1]   Go Up