INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Copies of AA files not considered "Audible Content."  (Read 1055 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Copies of AA files not considered "Audible Content."
« on: July 04, 2005, 07:23:26 pm »

When I copy my Audible files, the copies are no longer considered "Audible content" by MC.  The files no longer show up under the "Downloaded Titles" in the Audible smartlist, which seems to be due to the fact that the "content distributor" tag is blank on the copy (i.e. it no longer says "audible" like the original file does.)  This field is read only, so I can't change it back to "audible."

This means that if I have to use backups of my Audible files, MC doesn't recognize them as audible files anymore, and when I bring my previous Audible content into MC, it does not show up under the "Audible" tree heading.

A workaround for this seems to be to change the rules of the "Downloaded Titles" smartlist so that it shows "File type: aa" rather than "Content Distributor: Audible."  This "seems" to work for the moment, but I'm not sure what the repercussions of this might be.  Is this the way to handle this, and if so, what is the point of the "Content Distributor" tag, and why doesn't MC11 use "File type: aa" by default instead?  My concern is that Audible might use other formats, and that in this case, you'd need the "Content Distributor" tag to identify this file as Audible content.

Thanks,

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
Re: Copies of AA files not considered "Audible Content."
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2005, 07:38:58 pm »

UPDATE:  The above workaround does not work because when MC11 is restared, the smartlist rule is automatically changed back to it's original "Content Distributor" state.

Larry

jimn

• World Citizen
  • You are getting sleepy...very sleepy...
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 04:39:47 pm »

Copies of files won't automatically appear in smartlists, including "Downloaded Titles" even if the original file was in the smartlist.

A copy of and audible (aa) file will play the same as the orginal file, at least it did when I tried it. You can import the copy to any smartlist you choose.

JimN

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005, 06:30:37 pm »

Copies of files won't automatically appear in smartlists, including "Downloaded Titles" even if the original file was in the smartlist.

A copy of and audible (aa) file will play the same as the orginal file, at least it did when I tried it.

Playback issues are not what I'm reporting here (there ARE playback bugs with audible files in MC11, but I reported those in another thread.) 

You can import the copy to any smartlist you choose.

The problem is that this is NOT the case with the "Downloaded Titles" smartlist, which is due to the fact that when you copy an audible file, the "Content Distributor" tag is erased, and I can find no way of getting it back (it's a "read only" tag that won't let me edit it.)  Since this tag is the one that the "Downloaded Titles" smartlists uses to identify audible content, this means that copies of audible content will not be seen as audible content anymore, and there is no way (that I can find) to change this.

This  is obviously a problem since it means that when you install MC11 on a new system or move the content to a new drive, NONE of your previous audible content will show up in the "Downloaded Titles" list since ALL the content is "copies."  In other words, if you move to a new system (or drive), the Downloaded Titles" list won't show ANY of your existing audible content -- it will only show NEW downloads from that point forward.  It "should" work so that previous audible content will show up in the "Downloaded Titles" list so that ALL your audible content is available here for as long as you want it to be.

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up