INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New to MC, Trying it  (Read 1131 times)

carfac

• Recent member
New to MC, Trying it
« on: July 03, 2005, 01:35:12 am »

Hi:

I am new to MC, and trying it out now. It seemed like it would work well for what I need. The basic program works great, BTW....

BUT...

I am having one config problem I would like your advice on. I have a "media" server, it has 180 Gigs of music on it. That is in my office off my bedroom, where it is easy to work on. I have another computer next to my stereo, basically a client. Third, I have this computer, a lap-top that I am using downstairs right now while my wife sleeps.

So, the Office computer is the master... good enough. Now if I want to edit stuff- add images, make playlists, etc- from here on my laptop, what is the best set up? Should I set it up as a client, and Office as a server? Or should I just point the laptop to the Library of Office, and just only edit on one machine at a time?

Now... should I link to the music files like:

I:\Music\iTunes\Artist\Album\song.mp3

or

\\Main\music\Music\iTunes\Artist\Album\song.mp3

(You see- that would be the same from any computer). So far, to music it does not seem to make any difference... but it does seem to make a big difference for cover images! That brings up my next question, one I have seen asked a few times on this forum, but I have yet to see the answer...

What the heck is up with Cover images? Sometimes they are there... sometimes not. I use mp3's, and write those into the files... and use c:/path/on/down/to/Cover Art/XXXX.jpg for the WAV files.

I am looking at an mp3 file right now, and rather than an image in the left horixontal pane, I see

http://192.168.1.4:9000/Cover Art/I:\Music\iTunes\Artist\Album\song.mp3

(The TEXT, not an image!)

Other places, I see (Text) <External Image> or <Internal Image>

On the master computer, files I KNOW I just added cover art for now have no image...

Is there a fix worked out for this? Also, I seem to remember seeing (somewhere, I cannot find it now :) a command to resync the images, or rebuild the thumbnail database r something... WHERE is that? Would that help?

Thanks! I am very happy otherwise with this- I get this working, and I am sending my Visa number!

Dave

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: New to MC, Trying it
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 01:54:11 pm »

So, the Office computer is the master... good enough. Now if I want to edit stuff- add images, make playlists, etc- from here on my laptop, what is the best set up? Should I set it up as a client, and Office as a server? Or should I just point the laptop to the Library of Office, and just only edit on one machine at a time?

If editing is the only issue, and you will be careful not to edit from two machines at the same time, then just point each computer to the server disk. However, playcounts will not be correctly updated.

If you use the server as a Media Server, then any edits made on a client will not change the server. But this has the advantage that playcount's WILL be correctly updated.

j

carfac

• Recent member
Re: New to MC, Trying it
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 08:10:56 pm »

Thanks!

I ended up pointing all (including the server) to \\Media\path...

Seems to work ok once I got all the write permissions set!
Pages: [1]   Go Up