INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library Server shuts down when closing MC11.  (Read 1287 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Library Server shuts down when closing MC11.
« on: July 04, 2005, 08:26:46 pm »

This is from an earlier post talking about the previous version of Library Server (1.0.21):

Set up Library Server the way you want it.   It's under "plug-ins" in the tree.

Start it.

Close MC.  The server will still be running and it's called "Media Server" at that point.  It's just a small sub-set of MC.

This, however, doesn't seem to be what happens.  When I close MC, it shuts down completely, shutting down the library server as well.  LS automatically starts up again when I restart MC, but I don't see any option in the LS options to get it to keep running when I shut MC down.

I tried using this command line:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\MC11.exe /MediaServer

This seems to run the server without MC running, but as soon as I start MC I get an error -- it appears that when I start MC, I get two instances of MC running, and this causes the error.  I've read some posts about running MC as a service, but isn't there an easier way of doing this?  I just want it to work as the quote above suggests -- i.e. I want LS (or MS)  to continue running when I shut MC down so I don't have to worry about it accidentally being closed.

Thanks for clarification on this,

Larry

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
Re: Library Server shuts down when closing MC11.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 01:47:50 pm »

Start Media Center.

Tools->Advanced->Media Server.

Then MC is running in Media Server mode.

j

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 03:55:33 pm »

Start Media Center.

Tools->Advanced->Media Server.

Then MC is running in Media Server mode.

j

This gives me the same error I mentioned above -- i.e. once I'm in "Media Server Mode," I can close MC and MS continues running, HOWEVER, when I start MC up again, I get an error after several seconds.  Before the error occurs, I see two instances of "Media Center.exe" in the task manager, one of which disappears after the error.

If I right click on the little MS icon in the systray and select "Show Media Center," I do not get the second item in the task manager or the error, but I cannot open and close the program "normally" when in this mode.  This is going to confuse some people who use this system, so I need a way for people to be able to open and close MC as they normally do, and still have MS continue running.  (i.e. I essentially need the MC10 type functionality for this.)

Thanks again for any help with this,

Larry

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 04:08:01 pm »

Doesn't happen here, but I am still running v. 11.0.298 on my server PC.

The just released build 11.0.305 may have a fix for this.

If that does not help, could you try 11.0.298 as a test?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2005, 04:22:05 pm »

Hi Larry,

I don't get the error on start here either. Any further details? Try a complete re-install.

j

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2005, 05:02:25 pm »

I upgraded to 305. Starting and closing MC independently of the Media Server works normally as it did before.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2005, 09:03:56 pm »

Doesn't happen here, but I am still running v. 11.0.298 on my server PC.

The just released build 11.0.305 may have a fix for this.

I upgraded to 305 (from 304) and it solved the error.

However, the behavior when in Media Server mode is not as "usable" as it was with MC10.  With MC10, closing and opening the program always resulted in a "fresh start" even if MS was running -- i.e. I had MC set to always open to the "audio" branch of the tree, so that when the program was closed and opened, it would revert to the audio branch.  MC11 only allows this behavior if you're NOT using it in Media Server mode.  With MC11, if MS is running, closing and opening the program behaves exactly like minimizing and maximizing the window -- i.e. it always returns to the last state it was left in.  This makes inuitive sense when minimizing/maximizing, but not when closing/opening.

I know this doesn't seem like an important issue to people who are generally more technically savvy, but there are other people using this particular system that get confused by this sort of thing.  They want it to be consistant -- i.e. when closing and opening the program, they expect it to start on the audio branch.  Is it possible that MC11 will offer this functionality at some point, so that it functions like MC10 did?

Thanks,

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up