INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT- London  (Read 2434 times)

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
OT- London
« on: July 07, 2005, 12:04:15 pm »

Sorry and angry to hear of the terrorist attacks.

I guess they don't know of the Blitz.
It'll take a bit more than a few bombings to break British resolve.

It's part of the 'Great' in Great Britain.

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
Re: OT- London
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 01:13:07 pm »

"We are all Londoners today".

Be strong folks we are all with you,

C.

Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 01:32:06 pm »

Like the police have said time and time again since 9.11: "The question isn't if London will be hit, but when." Weird that they were able to do so much damage when the G8 is in the country and the security should be stepped up.
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005, 02:06:31 pm »

Like the police has said time and time again since 9.11: "The question isn't if London will be hit, but when." Weird that they were able to do so much damage when the G8 is in the country and the security should be stepped up.
Actually they are releasing some specialty police and troops from G8 duty to return to London. G8 meeting is a long way away from there.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2005, 03:31:57 pm »

Ghammer, I know my geography. It's just that when something like that is in the country, and the actual meeting is about as accessible as an amish virgin, it's logical then that they will hit the most visible spot.
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2005, 03:59:41 pm »

about as accessible as an amish virgin

Those of us who grew up in Central Pennsylvania, where the buggies and hex signs are regular sites on the roads, know this to be not quite as you might expect.  At age 16, Amish children go through a "period" known as "rumspringa" (running around) where they are encouraged to experiment and live the modern lifestyle.  This is considered both a test and a way to "get it out of their system" after which they either have to reform and accept the church's ways, or leave the commune and never return.

Not a bad idea, really, but it does sometimes lead to some things you wouldn't expect... Such as rampant drug problems and teenage orgies.

The amish virgin might be rarer than you'd expect, is my point I guess.

As far as London's bombings... What a terrible day.  All this violence (both ours and theirs) is terrible, disgusting, and sadly un-surprising.  I imagine it all started when the first human learned to sharpen the first rock (or maybe even before).  I hope Great Britan can steer past enacting some of the reactionary legislation we did here in the US, but I imagine the powers-that-be will use this to justify whatever they want (even if it won't really help).

It just makes me sad.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2005, 10:23:04 pm »

All this violence (both ours and theirs) is terrible, disgusting, and sadly un-surprising.

Sorry, I refuse to accept the notion that 'us' and 'them' are somehow on the same plane.

jgreen

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2005, 10:46:20 pm »

Ghammer, you speak for me in this regard.  As a "USAan", I second your esteem for the British Lion.

kaiynne

• World Citizen
  • I Changed this by choosing profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2005, 10:53:06 pm »

Sorry, I refuse to accept the notion that 'us' and 'them' are somehow on the same plane.

hmmm 100,000 dead in Iraq, i would have to agree with you hammer we are much worse.

jgreen

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2005, 11:10:15 pm »

That would be  1 year's worth of purges under Sadam.  You're right, we're much worse for waiting 10 years and allowing the deaths of 1 million people; but I think your point is that they're only Iragis so who cares, right?

lambert282

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2005, 01:13:37 am »

There's a whole load of difference between the war in Iraq and the indiscriminate cowardly barbarism of yesterdays attacks.  The only comparison you can make with Iraq is that these same people are committing such terrible attacks every day against ordinary Iraqi people trying to rebuild their country - the very people they claim to be fighting for.  They are evil, sick and twisted.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2005, 02:20:19 am »

For some strange reason i thought London would be more secure, they have

- had to deal with this sort of thing before eg.IRA.
- People are quite trained to report unattended baggage. They have loads of security cameras around, for said reasons.
- Going into Iraq nearly split the country up, it's not like there wasn't lots of opposition to it.

Would London be safer had the UK not gone into Iraq ?

Will this incident justify having gone into Iraq.

I don't think its possible to defend aginst such attacks in any free country.

johnnyboy

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2005, 05:54:49 am »

You cant make any country 'secure' from this type of thing without removing all civil liberties and freedom.

You can always get the ingredients you need to make a bomb from within a country. Once you have made it, you can carry it onto a train just as easily as any of the thousands of other people can carry their laptops and there is no way of stopping this unless you want to stop everyone carrying their lugage and to be honest I think I, and most londoners would rather be aloud to keep our freedom than be 'safe' because no one was aloud to do anything at all that could possibly be used to take advantage of a system.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2005, 06:35:05 am »

hmmm 100,000 dead in Iraq, i would have to agree with you hammer we are much worse.

I do pity you and others like you. BTW- Where do you get your count? Sounds laughably high to me.

Some people become indignant when you question their patriotism, but work overtime to give terrorists a cushion for the next attack and laugh at dumb people who love their country and hate the enemy.

I'll leave you with this quote:
The pacifist is as surely a traitor to his country and to humanity as is the most brutal wrongdoer.
Theodore Roosevelt

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2005, 07:25:10 am »

We'll leave GHammer with the last word on the subject.

Locking the thread so we can resume our "normal" lives.

Our sympathy goes out to London.  We have nothing but admiration for your spirit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up