INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Converting shn & flac files to wav  (Read 2017 times)

221bBS

• Citizen of the Universe
Converting shn & flac files to wav
« on: July 09, 2005, 08:12:12 pm »

Not sure how much support MC has with shn and flac files but will MC have any problem converting them to wav? Just want to know if I will lose any quality  ?

jgreen

Re: Converting shn & flac files to wav
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2005, 08:52:46 pm »

You don't lose any quality, and you don't gain any.  Statistically, the more you go back and forth between file types, the better your chances of a screwup--deleting the wrong thing, etc.  FLAC has been tested back and forth more than any other type, I'm told, and the handfull of degradations after thousands of flip-flops were the result of bad memory sectors, or so the story goes.  Be aware that tagging capabilities vary from type to type. 

I use FLAC, and I love it.  Every FLAC conversion is a penny out of Bill Gates' pocket, and less chance of turning into a pod person.  Convert your shn's to FLAC, and you'll pick up support for the progress bar and durations.  WAV, of course, is universal, just like Bill's haircut.

Hildy

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2005, 02:34:17 pm »

I can't convert shn files in MC11, am I doing something wrong or is this not a supported workflow until someone writes the shn encoder plugin???

jgreen

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005, 02:48:39 pm »

To shn or from?  I've been going from shn to FLAC like a bat out of heck, most of it in MC11.  You need to download the FLAC encoder update for MC11, if FLAC is where you're going with this.  Look under third party plugins for scthom's link.
If shn is where you're trying to go, all the encoder plugins had to be updated for MC11 and shn may not have been updated yet.

Hildy

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005, 09:47:58 pm »

Sorry, apparently I like to withhold vital information... ;)
I was converting from shn to flac, and until I read your reply I didn't think there was a new flac plug-in, but it looks like I had the old one, (I thought I had checked for updates before posting).

Everything is working peachy keen now,

Thanks!

Marc
Pages: [1]   Go Up