INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Organizing pictures using people  (Read 1196 times)

Faruz

• Recent member
  • Maybe next year...
Organizing pictures using people
« on: July 24, 2005, 06:39:20 am »

Hey guys,

I need some help, after a while I decided to add my photos to Media Center.
I updated all the relevant tags (Events/People/Places etc.).
Now I want to add a view scheme that sorts by the following:
People --> Other People
I.E.
I have 4 pictures, 2 with John and Rachel, 1 with John and 1 with John and Steve, the tree should look like this:
- John
  - (Unassigned)
  - Rachel
  - Steve
- Rachel
  - John
- Steve
  - John
Meaning I can easily find pictures of me and my girlfriend for example.

Understand my problem??

Thanks.

221bBS

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Organizing pictures using people
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2005, 07:03:00 am »

Just have the "People" field entered twice in the "Step 1: Create View Item" section

RobOK

• long time MC user for PC, iPod and Tivo
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2005, 05:59:42 pm »

also, if you really want you and your girlfriend pics close at hand or for a slide show, make that query its own Smartlist.

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2005, 09:02:05 pm »

I organise pictures by people as well. You can kind of do what you want, but still not perfect ~ People is a semicolon-delimited list field so you can have multiple entries (eg John; Rachel). As 221bbs said, when you create a new view scheme, add "People" twice - there's no real need to have a second field (Other People) unless you want to make a distinction between the primary person in the photo and less important subjects...

The only real problem is that when you select John and then select Rachel in the view scheme, you will get all pictures that John and Rachel appear in (even if you aren't the only two people in the photo ~ eg John; Rachel; Steve). The only real way around that is to create another field which contains the number of people in the photo ~ but that's a whole lot of work that I've never been prepared to do. It would be good if MC could recognise the number of entries in a list field though.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005, 03:27:15 am »

the only way I've found to get around this is using the search bar.

Click on the wizard arrow, choose more fields > people and in the dialogue select both John and Rachel and click OK.
You will now see the list darichman refers to.
Click on the wizard arrow again, select people again, and this time, "select all", then deselect John and Rachel, and finally, use the drop-down selector and change 'include' to 'exclude' and click OK. (de-select "only show items that match other search criteria" on each of the people dialogue)

Now, your list should only contain those photos that include both John and Rachel, or just John, or just Rachel.

Adjust the results by clicking each [people] search, choosing "edit with wizard" and ticking people as you see fit. If have a favourite list, save it as a smartlist. I asked a while back for this to be made a little more user friendly but it wasn't to be. I'm looking forward to the next beta cycle though, as I've heard on the grapevine that image handling could well be high on the agenda. Nothing is ever set in stone, but at least the mood is a positive one, which is always promising.

-marko.

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2005, 09:32:32 am »

Hi,

I use multiple instance of the people field plus an instance of a field I called "subject" in which I will specify wether there is 1,2,3,4,more persons on the pic. This way if you search for : John+Rachel+"2 persons", you will only get those lovely pictures with the 2 of them only. The drawback is that it requires a little bit more tagging !

Some more infos and pictures in the following thread :->http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=22754.0

hope it helps,

Christian
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)
Pages: [1]   Go Up