INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Idea: MC12 Requests and MC12 Forum  (Read 77308 times)

Tanguero

• World Citizen
Re: Idea: MC12 Requests and Forum (Exclusive)
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2005, 01:44:40 pm »

Can't Media Editor (Inside the JRiver folder) already do this?

It looks like  Media Editor decodes before any editing and then encodes when saving the file. I notice, though, that this the conversions are done much  faster than I remember it, which make the conversions less of a problem. However, The coding/decoding does not seem good from a sound quality perspective.

edbro

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2005, 04:43:54 pm »

It would be nice if the Media mode icons worked within the library browser. As it is now, if you click one of the media mode icons while in the library browser it will jump you ou of the library browser and into the Media Library. The only way to change media from within the library browser is to use the small dropdown list which sits right below the big media mode icons.

pank2002

« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2005, 05:39:22 pm »

True support for iPod photo and shuffle (and iPods in general), including better replay gain handling and dynamic playlists.
Music is life... the rest is details.
Here is a security related website: secubi.dk

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2005, 10:39:33 pm »

• An "Organise Library" feature which encompasses the import feature as well as an auto "Rename Files from Properties" feature. Different media types could be set to be renamed differently.
    mc checks to see if the library info has been written to the tags, and if not, updates them.
    MC checks for and deletes empty folders.
  • Import should remember folders to import from per library.
  • Import should put backups in the your backups folder, not in Documents and Settings. Confusing for new users.
  • Anf MC should remind users to backup library periodically, like Outlook does.
  • Fix broken links function sperate from Remove broken links. "Fix broken links" is really useful, but very destuctive if it cant find where the files have been moved to. Both would be tickable boxes.

kwake

• World Citizen
  • Excellent piece of software, this Media Center...
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2005, 03:12:25 am »

1% increments for the volume control within MC.

5% increments as it is now is not very slick, but I understand it was a comprimise to be able to cover as many keyboards as possible.

It's strange, but to me, having that kind of responsiveness really makes a big difference in the GUI - otherwise of course I wouldn't even mention it. I use the circular volume control on the Logitech Cordless Elite (much nicer feel than using up/down arrows for volume, which is the main reason I didn't go for the DiNovo keyboard).

Maybe this can be tackled and nailed in MC12. If it is, I'm sure to upgrade when the time comes (well, even better chance if an A-B Loop feature was added too) ;-)

Thanks,
Kwake

pank2002

« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2005, 05:26:27 am »

kwake, why not use mjextman (I think it's called MC11.exe in newer builds)?

mjextman.exe /Command VolumeUp  [Value] increases sound by Value. Default is 5%

mjextman.exe /Command VolumeDown  [Value] decreases sound by Value. Default by 5%

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2005, 10:19:06 am »

I use Theater View in my lounge setup (MC11), and for audio has been working well, but I would like also do TV stuff as well now.

Below is my "wishlist"

1) When in the playing now view if playback is paused (or stopped) the green marker indicating the track stays there.  So if somebody comes along and looks at the screen it can be difficult to tell if the system is actually playing something (and no sound is coming out) or if in fact the music is paused/stopped. 
This gets more confusing if you have more than one zone and are trying to determine if a zone is actually playing or not.

Can I suggest that either the green marker is hidden when playback is stopped/paused. Or even better change the marker to the universal "Paused" symbol or "Stopped" symbol. This way a quick glance at the screen will tell you is the music is playing, paused or stopped.

2) Display Album Name in the title bar rather than "Home / Playing Now".

3) Implement the Tools/Locate/Album functionality into Theater View

4) Have the ability to toggle between "Playing Now" and the last location in the  menu tree without having to go back to "home". (available via the remote control as well)

5) Allow Visualization Studio the ability to display user defined library fields (I know this isn't only theater view)

6) The ability to schedule TV recordings within theater view (I don't have mouse/keyboard on the PC I just use a remote control) so can't use the current media Scheduler interface.

Richard

kwake

• World Citizen
  • Excellent piece of software, this Media Center...
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2005, 12:20:17 pm »

kwake, why not use mjextman (I think it's called MC11.exe in newer builds)?

mjextman.exe /Command VolumeUp  [Value] increases sound by Value. Default is 5%

mjextman.exe /Command VolumeDown  [Value] decreases sound by Value. Default by 5%

Pank, thanks for your response... - are you saying I can set it up so that my circular volume control on my Logitech keyboard will increment/decrement in 1% steps using mjextman? Can you tell me how I could set this up so it is active 'by default'? Is it something I can put into an initialization startup file or something??

Thanks,
Kwake

pank2002

« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2005, 07:32:16 pm »

Possibly. Can you configure how the wheel should work? If that's the case then put the command to be MC11 /Command VolumeUp 1.

The easiest way would of course be to set a default value of 1, but I'm not sure if you can do this. You should start a new thread; the developers or another member can probably answer your question.

-Rasmus

JONCAT

« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2005, 05:10:55 pm »

I like Glynor's idea:

"4) A multi-computer network "distribution" system similar to ATI's EasyShare/EasyConnect product.  This would solve many of the Multi-Zone sync issues that Mastiff and others have dealt with.  If you could simply "stream" what is playing on the "server" system to multiple "client" machines (including Video and Audio) then syncing multiple zones and multiple machines wouldn't be a problem anymore!"

This is somethng to consider. The option to stream would be great for those of us who can really use it. IP assignable speakers are comming out (not that I'm interested....yet), and using networking instead of wires, which WIVES hate!, is worth the R&D on MC's part. Running wires isn't always an option for those of us in apartments either.

JC

Shady Bimmer

• World Citizen
  • (too busy listening)
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2005, 11:22:05 pm »

Quite a few good ideas suggested so far.

I'm still recovering my library and coming out of a few postings about that:

• Fully utilize MC's "internal" audio fingerprint

MC already (based on previous responses from JR) calculates a fingerprint that it uses with YADB.  Unfortunately the 'fix/remove broken links' feature does not use this and is of little use for me.  At best, I can try to force MC to compare an unknown track with YADB but the information there may not match my database.  Since MC already has its own fingerprint, I should be able to pick any arbitrary file on local storage and have MC compare it to my own local library using the fingerprint to identify it.

This also could be used for more accurately finding duplicates.

I also agree that the 'fix' and 'remove' portions of this feature should be independently selectable options - I generally do not want broken links removed if they can't be fixed.  Being forced into an 'all or nothing' scenario typically prescribes a feature I will never use.

JR won't give access to this via API (or via MC) and I've seen at least a few attempts at implementing some fingerprinting  abilities via plugin.  While a
MusicBrainz plugin would be nice (if only I had time to work with the other efforts), the ability to use MC's fingerprint would be a big win itself.

hsc

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2005, 07:11:55 am »

I'd like to get the following features:
(1) Storing the DiscID as additional tag information during CD rip
(2) local YADB support
(3) access to local YADB through SDK

HSC

dcwebman

« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2005, 08:04:50 am »

If 11.0 stays the way it looks like it is, then for 12.0, please add tagging cover art in the background.
Function added back in 11.0
Jeff

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2005, 08:19:39 am »

Pank, thanks for your response... - are you saying I can set it up so that my circular volume control on my Logitech keyboard will increment/decrement in 1% steps using mjextman? Can you tell me how I could set this up so it is active 'by default'? Is it something I can put into an initialization startup file or something??

If it is possible to reassign the function of the Volume Control, you would do it from inside SetPoint (Logitech's keyboard software).  Take a look and see if you can assign a different function to the Volume Up and Volume Down commands.  If you can, and if it lets you assign a "program" to those commands, you can assign the command lines Pank mentioned above and it should work.

The only downside is that the Volume Control will then only work when you have MC running.  If you want to turn down the volume of a game you're playing, you're out of luck.

Otherwise ...

There are a LOT of great ideas in here.  It takes a while to wade through them all, but there are some real gems.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2005, 09:34:14 am »

My "partial" wish list for MC.12 would include:

1.- Macros to automate repetitive tasks that are normally performed in the same sequence... import, clean properties, rename, etc.

2.- Fully customization of Library Browser.

3.- A plug-in to download information from Allmusic.com, such as other competitors have. I'm aware that AMG charges a high fee for that, but make it optional and I would gladly pay $$$ for this option.

Thank you.

rtguy7

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2005, 02:05:23 pm »

I second risingdamp's request. (See quotes below).  It is the same request I've made in version 10 & 11. 

The number one thing I'd like to see in 12 is a mode that will allow MC to run 2 playing nows, essentially for use at parties. 

When you add tracks to the second playing now list they play when the currently playing track is finished.  If the second playing now list is empty MC reverts back to the first list and continues until something is added to the second list.  This will allow you to play your selected playlist but still allow others to add tracks in between adhoc.  The current method of using 'Add as next to play' doesn't really work for this as the last one to be added always jumps to the top of the queue so the requests are not played in the order they were selected.

Can we try to get this feature in version 11?  Thanks in advance.

I'd like to see the following feature added to ver 10.

I usually set up a play list for a party.  However, during the party, I often get a BUNCH of requests for other songs.  I'd like to queue up all of the requests in the order I receive them.

The "Add to Playing Next" feature comes close to what I want, but these are Stacked (the last requested becomes the next to play and the first requested is the last to play) instead of Queued (the first request is next to play).

I've seen this feature in other products.  In the other product there are 2 lists kept.  The "regular list" plays in a predetermined order if the "request list" is empty.  Otherwise, the songs in the "request list" play.

Thanks for your consideration.  (Sorry if this is a duplicate request).

Tanguero

• World Citizen
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2005, 03:09:57 pm »

Lockable views:

In split view mode I would like the possibility to lock one (or more) of the views so it doesn't change if I klick somewhere in the tree while that view is still active, which is very easy to do by mistake.  This could preferrably be done as a right-klicking option: "Lock this view" / "Unlock this view".

A locked view should still be accessible for normal handling e.g. use of selection panes, adding/deleting files in playlists, changing order in playlists etc.

Tanguero

• World Citizen
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2005, 05:44:56 am »

Keeping view positions between sessions

I would like MC to start with each view (as the term is used in the "Split view" option) where I left it the last time MC was closed down. If I leave a view in the library, it should start in the library, more specifically in the tree position where it was at closedown. Even better if it also remembers the selections in the panes. If I leave a view in the playlists, it should start in the playlists, and preferably in the playlist where I left it.  A view left as "Playing Now" should start as "Playing Now".

As a complement, it should also be possible to declare the start position for each view explicitly in the Startup settings.

Tanguero

• World Citizen
« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2005, 06:46:14 am »

Immediate fading – ad hoc control of MC’s behaviour:

Sometimes (e.g. in a DJ situation) it is necessary to stop the playing of a song gracefully before it is finished. An abrupt stop is normally not the best way to do it. The possibilities I need are:
  • Fade out now, then stop playing (In this case, a later Play command should start playing the next track.) This is already possible to do with the playback settings, but then all stopping of playing will take time, which can be annoying, so I need both the present stop (in my case a fast fade out) and the softer fade out.
  • Fade out now, then start playing next track (with the preset time gap after the fade out).

For some users I guess other options could be more interesting, like
  • Crossfade to next track now.

Since different users’ needs vary rather much, there should be different options available. For me, crossfading is really, really not an option; for other people in other situations, playing other kinds of music, silence between tracks seems to be the last thing they want.

To make the different varieties easily accessible without cluttering up the interface too much, I see two possible ways:

1.   Introduce an extended play control field next to the standard play control field. There, each user could place the controls he/she needs (from a pre-defined pool). For those who want an clean interface: Make this field very discrete when empty. This is the implementation I would prefer.

2.   Make an icon for each option accessible for putting in the top or bottom toolbar.

Myron

• World Citizen
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2005, 08:28:17 am »

My "partial" wish list for MC.12 would include:

1.- Macros to automate repetitive tasks that are normally performed in the same sequence... import, clean properties, rename, etc.

2.- Fully customization of Library Browser.

3.- A plug-in to download information from Allmusic.com, such as other competitors have. I'm aware that AMG charges a high fee for that, but make it optional and I would gladly pay $$$ for this option.

Thank you.

Having options beyond YADB would be GREAT!  I think many users would be willing to pay for DB access.

Not trying to knock YADB, but, like all databases, it's not 100% complete and accurate. 

I vote for Freedb and/or  Allmusic....

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2005, 08:01:39 am »

• An "Organise Library" feature which encompasses the import feature as well as an auto "Rename Files from Properties" feature. Different media types could be set to be renamed differently.
    mc checks to see if the library info has been written to the tags, and if not, updates them.
    MC checks for and deletes empty folders.
  • Import should remember folders to import from per library.
  • Import should put backups in the your backups folder, not in Documents and Settings. Confusing for new users.
  • Anf MC should remind users to backup library periodically, like Outlook does.
  • Fix broken links function sperate from Remove broken links. "Fix broken links" is really useful, but very destuctive if it cant find where the files have been moved to. Both would be tickable boxes.

Taking up from my previous post. I would really like to see the JRiver team take advantage of the Media Scheduler application. It sits there in the tray, probably unused by the majority of MC users, simply because it it too technical for them to use. Who knows how to find the playlist id, just so that they can set a playlist to wake them up?!

All the functionality is there already, it just needs to be skinned, pushed under peoples noses a bit more, and most importantly, it needs a whole bunch of presets, or even better, some graphical way to make the tasks, like with smarlists.

This could also be a way to make the "Organize library" feature that I spoke about in my previous post too.

richard.e.morton

• World Citizen
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2005, 09:34:36 am »

humm... ideas for MC12, ok, well you did ask for them, so here goes.

MC12 should be able to:
 - initiate updates to the library held on the MC Server.
 - add new media to the MC Server
 - delete media from the MC Server
 - control multiple screens (one for visuals, one for controls)
 - have an inbuilt webserver for remote control (i.e. using PDA over wifi)
 - support multiple sound cards (different or the same music on each card)
 - Display playing details in the title bar
 - lock/unlock this view

The MCServer should:
 - be run when not logged on (i.e. as a network service)
 - re-scan media every "period" of time to update library
 - ignore or accept updates from the MC clients (on a per user / perclient basis)
 - be able to stream the same piece of music to multiple clients (effectively control clients)

well, I know it's a long list, but I would love to see this stuff, and would use it so much more.

Rich
Media Center 12 with Girder and Netremote
Windows XP Pro SP2
Tranquil T2e
Via SP13000
2x500GB in RAID1
Testing AJAX Web-I/F
Humax DVB PVR-9600T
Denon ADV-1000
Celestion F-Series Speakers

DJ_Hazelwood

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2005, 09:40:34 am »

As a tagging-freak i would really like to see a possibility to create own categories for the library-fields.

If you have a lot of library-fields the 6 predifined categories (general, extended, audio, display, file info, calculated) are not enough.

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2005, 10:11:50 am »

I would like to see the library browser fully customizable, rating system for albums, way more skins with a skin tool to make our own and the ability to print out album lists per genre etc.

Terry

LonWar

« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2005, 10:31:33 am »

Would like to see the tree removed and replaced with something better.....
-

StarBand Guy

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I might be a porcupine.
« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2005, 01:15:40 pm »

AAC, ISO, VOB, and MPEG-4 handling/playing/importing improvements;

concurr on deep-sixing the tree-based view

looks like with the Intel-Apple alliance, DRM is going to be shoved down our throats, so might as well start planning it into MC 12 as well.

marcusaschneider

« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2005, 02:50:12 pm »

Camera RAW filetypes and EXIF support (Sorry, did miss it is already in 11)

that's what I really would like to see.
I think that MCs organizing and library features are really great. Having preview support for raw-files (which lots of modern digital SLRs provide) would be great.
But how about a file versioning system where files that are marked as versions of another are kept in a set with that? What comes to mind is something analogous to Adobe's Photoshop Elements...
Extended support for exif information or tiff-tagging would be cool too...

Just a dream...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2005, 03:01:14 pm »

Raw image support was recently added to MC11.

broncodan

• World Citizen
« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2005, 05:35:06 pm »

1.  smartlist import/export - that way there could be a database of smartlists that users have created that you could add to your library.

2.  Total Album Rating system - some way to have MC calculate an album rating based of the indivdual song ratings.

3.  A jukebox type interface - for party's - similar interface to this one:  http://www.jukeboxpro.com/xp.jpg

4.  A way to interface with the Turtle Beach Audiotron (which isn't being made anymore) but I know there are a lot of users out there.

Two Wire

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2005, 10:36:24 pm »

I like the idea of a jukebox type interface, especially, making it user friendly for touch screen use.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #80 on: June 14, 2005, 01:00:46 am »

Would like to see the tree removed and replaced with something better.....

How about vertical split views from left to right?  Wide screen owners would love this.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #81 on: June 14, 2005, 04:38:58 am »

Since it apparantly cannot be built in version 11 anymore, here's my little request:

It would be a great feature for me when there would be a 'Paste'-button too in the Lyrics-edit box. Now it's just Copy to clipboard, Save and Cancel.

Would that be possible?
And I know, I know, you can do that with Ctrl-V too, but nonetheless I'd like such a button.
Mark Coutinho
Dutch Top 40 collector of lyrics, sleeves and bios

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #82 on: June 14, 2005, 09:49:53 am »

Some requests for refinements on what already exists in Media Center:

I would personally like to see some work on smartlists. An interface to make them (like itunes) would be cool, with different areas of the window put aside for different elements (fields related to frequency and no. of plays etc. together, with preset time periods so that you dont have to enter everything in minutes).

Also, I think that the addition of expressions in v11 was powerful, but I am not technical enough to use them. Some extra work to bring this power to the layman, perhaps in the same interface, would be cool (ie: slider controls to set percentages for genres etc.)

The next, easily most convenient thing would be a simple, easy to see button, that would allow you to see the file list of an album when in album view (without having to find it in the panes all the time).

And finally, the ability to rate images (or even do full tagging upon images) that are being shown as part of a slideshow.

Yes, Yes, t'would be good, it would.

JONCAT

« Reply #83 on: June 15, 2005, 11:58:18 am »

"How about vertical split views from left to right?  Wide screen owners would love this".

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.....PLEASE!!!!

Man what a good idea.

JC

jeffspl311

• World Citizen
  • Reaper of Righteous Riffs
« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2005, 03:54:39 am »

Split views are great, but I am annoyed every time I fire up MC and it has forgotten that I want my Audio view scheme in the top pane and the Now Playing view in the bottom pane. MC should remember which set of views had been selected across sessions. Perhaps allowing the user to explicitly set up the default starting views in the Options would be a good if MC can't just remember.

I'm also shocked every time in split view mode I perform a search in my Audio view scheme and the search also gets applied to my Playing Now view. AAAAAAAAGHGHGH... I instantly loose all context of what is currently playing, how many songs I have queued up before I have dead air, etc. I need to be able to specify which view pane is subject to the search bar, and which is not.

I agree with the poster who suggests being able to lock certain view panes, or conversely, to specify which view pane is subject to change based on clicking elsewhere in the tree.

I need the ability to "pause playlist after this song" in my DJing such that halfway through a song I can tell MC to gracefully pause at the end of it to let me make an announcement. It would be really cool to actually have a "Pause" pseudo-track that I can insert into a playlist or the Playing Now so I can pre-program or insert on-the-fly (respectively) an announcement break.

I would like the ability to repair broken links based on customizable parameters. In the same way that I can specify which tags define tracks as being "Duplicate", I would like to be able to set a preference for how tracks are supposed to be matched and repaired. I need this because I would like to build my club playlists on my desktop machine, which stores tracks in artist/album folders, and export these playlists to my laptop, which stores all my tracks in a single flat folder. These are always imported as file missing, because I assume the match must be attempted based on full filename and fails because of the different file structure. It would work as desired, however, if I could set the match and repair to be based on track name, artist, album, and duration.

Move/Copy Fields is nice, but I need new operations to split the contents of one field into 2 or 3 fields, or combine 2 or 3 fields into one. Specifically, I would like to do field "math" functions.

For zones, I need to be able to set more than just "Playback Options" per zone. I need to set "General Options" per zone as well, particularly the behavior settings which control the response to user gestures like double click, previous button. In my headphones zone, I want a double click to Replace Playing Now (all). In my live club zone, I want double click to Add to Playing Now (to end).

I hate to end on a down note but as a usability expert and UI designer, I hear stuff like this all the time: "replace the tree with something better". My follow up question is always something like "What have you tried to do with the tree but can't do, or find too inconvenient to do with the tree?" Once in a while I'm surprised with some insight I lacked about the use of the application, but usually people just complain about the status quo. I encourage everyone who is recommending a change like "replace the tree" to be specific about what in the current system is not functional for you. If you're just tired of looking at it, hey, feel free to say that too.

jeffspl311

• World Citizen
  • Reaper of Righteous Riffs
« Reply #85 on: June 16, 2005, 12:03:03 pm »

I just had a brainstorm this morning, expanding on last night's idea of a pseudo-track that was actually a "Pause" command. There should be a bunch of pseudo-track commands. Here's the list I came up with:

Pause
reason: Allows users to program breaks in the music to make announcements, remind them to make a call, etc.
options include:
for duration ___ seconds
until manually restarted
keep at current sequence number of playlist

Pop Up
reason: Allows user to pop up a non modal alert with reminder information from any tag (like lyrics). This would be used in conjunction with a Pause, so your announcement script could be displayed.
options include:
check box list of tags to display, and the ability to reorder the the checked tags

Replace Playing Now
reason: for the guy who has suggested a pair of alternating playlists... when the current playlist is done, it rolls seamlessly to the next.
options include:
with playlist ____

Jump to
reason: allows users to control some randomness in their playlists
options include:
track sequence number __
random track
conditionals include:
if [not] [before | after] _:__ [am | pm]
__% of the time

Shuffle Playing Now
reason: Users can put this at the end of a playlist, and set MC to Continuous, so each time through a playlist you get a random order.
options include:

All these commands should allow all their normal tags to be set, but their icon would distinguish them from regular audio tracks.

Cheers,
Jeff

StarBand Guy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #86 on: June 16, 2005, 01:42:39 pm »

DivX 6 is awsome.  MC support would be even "awsomer".

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2005, 09:34:28 pm »

Simple request, make the interface capable of being used on a touchscreen.  Think 'left clicks only' and you'll get the idea.

That and simple zone switching from the toolbar.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #88 on: June 18, 2005, 01:35:26 am »

1) Album Thumbnail pop up window that lists tracks which can be individually selected for playing now.  This feature should pop up when the mouse is single clicked on an album thumbnail.  When this happens the pop up should be positioned at one of it’s 4 corners to the mouse pointer.  The pop up would go away when either the ‘x’ is clicked to close or any other part of MC is clicked on.

2) Vertical Split Views.  The tree view is already implemented with this idea.  Now a setting should be added so that either the ‘left ‘or the ‘right’ view can be assigned to anything just like the current horizontal split view works.  I imagine seeing the media library on the left split view with the playing now on the right split view.  One could then have the album art/visualization displayed at the top right with the playing now below at the same time allowing plenty of room for the media library on the left view.

3) Split views need to allow a locked and unlocked option to each view.  Most of the time I would lock the now playing view and then navigate with the other view.

4) I would like a way for ALL library fields to be not editable from the primary interface.  The tagging mode instruction dialogue that currently pops up should be applicable to all tagging modes/fields and not just the check boxes.  Party mode does not work very well at all for this type of feature.  In fact I know it caused irregularities in my library while testing it out.  MC is just way too easy to change a field somewhere and not even realize it has.  This has happened a few times that I caught and I’m sure a few times I have not.  Please add.

5) Speed up Scrolling.  MC is the only app I have that lags behind when scrolling.  It doesn’t matter whether there are 30 songs or 3,000 songs in the list; the scrolling is extremely choppy and needs to be fixed. 

6) Change font sizes without having to go into the options menu.  This should be implemented like in an html browser.  Ctrl + scroll wheel changes the font size up or down.  This should only change the main media library row fonts for both panes and the selection area.  No need to change the tree, menu, or display fonts (those don’t show correctly anyways when changed).  Additionally the columns expand/contract based upon the font changing so that they don’t cut off.  If I am far away form my TV then I can enlarge the font.  If I am closer, I can fit more rows on the screen with a smaller font.

7) An option so that anytime focus is lost from MC, it instantly switches to windowed view rather than have to click and unclick every time (to access windowed view).  If I click back on MC in the taskbar, it would ‘return to program’.

8) Bring back those Tiny Thumbnails in the media library.

9) Allow a “playing now” variable to be added to smartlists.  Any song that is playing could dynamically change a smartlist. i.e. a song with a certain genre and year is playing and a smartlist uses the information from the current song on those 2 fields and is able to filter songs that are within a range of that songs data.  I find myself doing this all the time with the panes in media library and would love for MC to be able to do this automatically.

10) Relational database.  I imagine seeing an HTML front end like encyclopedia.  This could easily be used in the display area of the now playing screen.  Users could apply different HTML templates/Style sheets.  Imagine being able to see ALL media (docs, photos, audio, and video) for an artist and having a unique link based interface to it!

11) Selecting Panes in any order and not just from left to right as it is right now.  Im not sure why this can't be done.  I really don't like having to change the order of panes inside the menu system.

12) Adding color shades to each row in the meida library where each shade represents a specific song rating from 1 -5.  This would really help in knowing which songs are your best ones.  The eye does not have to travel to where ever the rating column is and infact the rating column could be removed to save space for those who have their ratings set for all songs.

13) Dynamic smartlist support for Ipod.

Whew!!!
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

atb

« Reply #89 on: June 18, 2005, 06:22:45 pm »

Auto Download Lyrics from a Free DB

StiX

• Recent member
  • i really have nothing more to say...
« Reply #90 on: June 19, 2005, 02:52:59 pm »

Split views are great, but I am annoyed every time I fire up MC and it has forgotten that I want my Audio view scheme in the top pane and the Now Playing view in the bottom pane. MC should remember which set of views had been selected across sessions. Perhaps allowing the user to explicitly set up the default starting views in the Options would be a good if MC can't just remember.

How about 3 Views? I constantly use 3 views. I suggest to add ability to select a Favorite Link (which can contain any Location in the Library) from menus in Options\Startup: Location (Pane 1), Location (Pane 2), Location (Pane 3).

The search bar should be added to Each View separately also for observation purposes.

Move/Copy Fields is nice, but I need new operations to split the contents of one field into 2 or 3 fields, or combine 2 or 3 fields into one. Specifically, I would like to do field "math" functions.
I made a suggestion in some topic to have the availability to Link/Group Fields.

Speed up Scrolling.  MC is the only app I have that lags behind when scrolling.  It doesn’t matter whether there are 30 songs or 3,000 songs in the list; the scrolling is extremely choppy and needs to be fixed.
The "Tag Info" List with 20-30 fields in groups General/Extended: currently I have to wait 1-5 seconds after expanding/collapsing these groups. It's too slow.

Marty3d

« Reply #91 on: June 21, 2005, 10:09:53 am »

Second that!

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #92 on: June 21, 2005, 10:21:01 am »

Sorting preference requests:
1. a drop down "Current View" button that has a list of your sorting preferences so that you can more quickly and easily change the order of albums shown in the list.
2.I want to see what kind of sorting is being applied all the time. (maybe some semi transparent always visible label at the top of the list, or at the head of the before mentioned drop down list).

And I'd like to see some more work done on the cover art features.
1. A "loose" setting for matching cover art already in the cover art dir. with files in the library.
2. Ability to rename all pics in the cover art dir. to match those of the files (for when filenames etc. get changed over time).
3. When burning a Cd or DVD, or even just copying files to another hard drive: the ability to copy just the pics for selected files to the said media.
4. more intelligence when it tries to get the art from the net. ability to remove special characters, "the", "disc 1", etc.

:) :) :)

dcwebman

« Reply #93 on: June 22, 2005, 09:12:20 am »

There is an inconsistency for multi-artist albums in MC. I originally used a Multiple Artists folder and then when using the library command  Rename Files from Properties, saw there was an option for "Use 'Assorted' for [Artist] on multi-artist albums". Hmmm, if that's what MC likes, I'll change to use Assorted. However, there are still times when MC uses (Multiple Artists) like on ripping and saving cover art images.

It would be nice to have an option, probably in the File Locations dialog, for what to use for multi-artist songs that the user could enter: (Multiple Artists), Assorted, Various Artists, etc.
Jeff

StarBand Guy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #94 on: June 22, 2005, 09:26:21 am »

I third the Undo "feature".

dcwebman

« Reply #95 on: June 23, 2005, 11:48:21 am »

I would like to see a better lyrics editor. Right now I use KingSparta's Lyrics Finder to build my lyrics but sometimes it can't find them or there may be some changes needed. You can only get to edit the lyrics via the Tag Info and then click the Edit button in the Lyrics line. If you have a number of lyrics to look at and/or change, it's a cumbersome process.

If editing in the Tag Info window you can press PgDn to go to the next file in the list without having to go over to the list and click on the next file. A similar thing in the Lyrics editor window would be one way to make the lyrics editing easier.
Jeff

Alweb

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #96 on: June 27, 2005, 08:18:06 am »

Hi

I suggest the possibility to translate all the texts, labels, prompts, etc to other languages, and simplify de translate option or give us the language option when MC wass installing.

Tks

risingdamp

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #97 on: June 28, 2005, 04:28:39 am »

I'd simply like to have an option in view schemes so it does NOT reset all panes to the right of the one last clicked. 

If I want to reset the pane I can do it by clicking the All option myself or reclicking on the view scheme in the tree to do a reset of all panes.
JLee

edbro

« Reply #98 on: June 30, 2005, 09:09:43 am »

I would like to see an optional resident stub that would speed the load of MC. I'd give up a few bytes of ram to have a snappier load.

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #99 on: June 30, 2005, 10:17:59 am »

How about merging "edit viewscheme" and "customize current view" into one window called "Customize current view", with perhaps 2 tabs, and put a button for it somewhere on the main interface so that anyobody can find it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up