INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sorting artists based on last name and ignoring The in band names  (Read 1521 times)

barcode

• Recent member

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to sort the artists under the album/artist view scheme so that Tori Amos will show up under the A's without having to save my files as Amos, Tori.

Same goes for bands like The Arcade Fire which I am currently changing to Arcade Fire, The so that they show up under the A's instead of the T's.

I had started creating a new Library Field called Sort Text, and then creating a view scheme based on that instead of the Artist field, but that defeats the purpose since I'd still like the Artist Field displayed, but just be able to sort on the text/field that I specify, in this case, the Sort Text field.

I'm guessing there's probably an easier way to do this so that I don't actually have to rename the files or create new sort fields. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Randy
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
Re: Sorting artists based on last name and ignoring The in band names
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2005, 07:41:03 pm »

I know of no way to sort on last name, except by renaming.

Articles 'A, The' can be ignored in the sort.

Look under Tools-Options-Tree & View

221bBS

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2005, 02:39:28 pm »

View > Customize Current View...

In the lower right u should see a title named "Sorting"

From there u can define how u want your files to be sorted...when ur done press  Preset... > Save

This only works in the details window

chrisjj

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2005, 02:51:51 pm »

[quote author=barcode link=topic=28998.msg200388#msg200388 date=112275599
I had started creating a new Library Field called Sort Text, and then creating a view scheme based on that instead of the Artist field, but that defeats the purpose since I'd still like the Artist Field displayed, but just be able to sort on the text/field that I specify, in this case, the Sort Text field.

Surely displaying both Sort Text and Artist fields and sorting by the former will suit?

I'm guessing there's probably an easier way to do this so that I don't actually have to rename the files or create new sort fields. 

You shouldn't have to rename the files. But no, there can be no easier way since nothing short of a look-up table can file Cliff Richard under R but Little Richard under L.

barcode

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2005, 01:35:50 pm »

The problem is that I can't sort the View Scheme in the Tree View the same way that I can sort the Content Pane.  I would need a way to only display the Artist and Album fields, but sort the items in the Tree View by the Sort Text field.

Is this possible?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
Pages: [1]   Go Up